Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tranny Wont Come Off!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny Wont Come Off!!

Asking for help here guys. Ive done 5 clutch jobs on Evo's so i kinda know what im doing. I have all the bolts and everything off the car. I tried to get the wedge collar off the TOB but will NOT come off for anything. I never had a problem with this before. I have completely put the trans back on and tried to get off more than 4 times. Really aggrivated cause this is the last step! Wondering what my options are? Thankx guys!
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Pry till that ***** comes loose. That is the only way. Some are stubborn. To make it the easiest possilbe, try to make sure the tranny is not making it bind up anymore than normal. I have worked on a couple for 45 minutes before I got them to release. It happens.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:26 AM
Account Disabled

unbolt the flywheel...
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:28 AM

Yeah, it can be a PITA, but keep having at it. It should eventually separate. The last time I pulled the clutch out of my car I used a fat flathead and ran it accross the diaphragm until I hit the collar. I wedged it in and it popped right out. Keep trying.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Sometimes using that specialty tool really helps. I used a big screw driver before. Now I have the bearing release tool. Works like butta!
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Ultimate CC
unbolt the flywheel...
I think the problem he is having is getting the transmission off. You can't physically remove the tranny without separating the collar off of the TOB.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Make sure that the tranny is lined up properly when you're prying on the "push lock" thing.

It was a pain in my *** getting them seperated last time, and that was with the motor out of the car. Just be patient and keep trying. Have a friend wiggle the tranny while you've got your long screwriver or whatever insde trying to get at it.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:36 AM
Account Disabled

the tranny will not come off the car without the tob released, thats why you unbolt the flywheel and then the entire tranny and clutch will come off, then on the floor its pretty easy to get them to separate...
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Use BIG hammer.....
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

the tranny will not come off the car without the tob released, thats why you unbolt the flywheel and then the entire tranny and clutch will come off, then on the floor its pretty easy to get them to separate...
How would you unbolt the flywheel with the tranny still on?
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:01 AM
Account Disabled

by the starter, their is a black shield that you had to remove, their are 8 bolts holding the flywheel to clutch...unbolt them one at a time and if you need to turn the motor to get to the others use a inch drive socket wrench and turn the motor over (passanger side by the belts and pulleys...
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evo@24psi
How would you unbolt the flywheel with the tranny still on?
good question, My only other suggestion is to rotate the splines in the tranny, or put a 1/2 on the crank and turn it 180' then try again, OH and don't forget to push the release fork all the way over to the side to compress the marcel spring, with the spring loaded the clip isn't sapposed to let go, but if you compress it while prying it pops right out, just keep trying to rotate if it's too hard...
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
by the starter, their is a black shield that you had to remove, their are 8 bolts holding the flywheel to clutch...unbolt them one at a time and if you need to turn the motor to get to the others use a inch drive socket wrench and turn the motor over (passanger side by the belts and pulleys...
good idea
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

I just went through this.. I feel your pain.... we ended up getting bolts of flywheel too.. worked like a charm...

such a PITA to do a tranny....

n
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:33 AM
Account Disabled

yea i don't even bother trying to pry apart anymore, i found it to be much faster to just unbolt the flywheel, saves the headache...

Quick Reply: Tranny Wont Come Off!!