Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Motor Problems car wont start

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2007, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea i changed the oil, changed the plugs and coils....its still doing the same thing. I cant get the CEL checked out cause the car wont move. Any other ideas?
Old Apr 1, 2007, 10:25 AM

it starts only when you give it gas? or otherwise it just cranks and cranks?
Old Apr 1, 2007, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

your vacuum line could a have a crack or slit in it or even the couplings on the IC could have a slit in it this happened to a friend of mines wrx and one of the IC coupling a a very small slit that caused it to not start weird but it sucks
Old Apr 1, 2007, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

i dunno cause it cranks soooo slow? i checked the fuel pump its fine the MAF is fine there appears to be no holes or slits on the ic piping. i dont know what else to do. OH and i cleared the check engine light thhat was on for my cat delete and it still wouldnt do anything.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

if it was a vacum leak the car would start just idle like crap.you said the car starting slow could it be the battery or altenator since it's been siting for a while?

good luck bro .
Old Apr 1, 2007, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Check the cam timing and make sure that your timing belt has not slipped.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

go get a pocket logger. see if someone can take you to a pep boys or a discount auto. the item is 79.99 and you can pull your code and erase it as well. I always have one in my car. I hope you get it fixed! Good luck.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

i would say then to take your battery to a local car shop and have them test it just in case you never know
Old Apr 1, 2007, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
My DSM wouldn't start for me one time after I had just completed some engine work. During that time I had forgotten and left the interior lights on for awhile. The battery was down, it cranked okay but no fire. I put the battery on my charger for 15 minutes and tried again. It fired right up.

I don''t know for sure but my thought is that if the battery voltage gets too low the ECU doesn't work.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

My Caps Lock Button Is Stuck So Bare With Me Im Not Yelling Hahaha

My Cam Gears Appear To Be Lined Up. I Took The Battery Out Of My Buddies Evo And It Did The Same Thing And We Put My Battery In His And It Fired Right Up. I Also Unplugged My Ecu+ And Hooked Up Stock Ecu Still Nothing. Its Just So Strange Cause It Drove Perfect For Half Hour Then I Parked To Get Something To Eat. When I Came Back Out She Fired Right Up And TheN Drove For Another 20 Mins And Just Shut Off On Me And Wouldnt Start. Maybe Ill Try The Pocket Logger........ This Is Killing Me!
Old Apr 1, 2007, 08:25 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd run a Boost leak test, go through all connections that could have come unplugged...Do you have a wideband, if so what kind of AFR's are you seeing? Any fluids leaking? Did you pull the sparkplugs, what did they look like?
Old Apr 2, 2007, 12:42 AM
Account Disabled

boost leak wouldnt cause the car not to start niether would a check engine light for a cat.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 04:23 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh, thought it was starting and just running horribly once it started.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

^ yeah i know ahha im just trying to take it down one by one. I put like 2 gallons of new gas in there when it first died still didnt do anything. Ill checkt he injectors today. How can i check if the alternator is dead? but if it was the alternator, wouldnt the car still start up off the battery? I'll try changing the fuel filter. Ill keep you guys posted and thank you so much for all the help. Also i know the car is gettin plenty of fuel cause i pulled the hosing off the fuel rail and turned it over and plenty of gas came out.

Brain H, it started up once or twice and it would only rev to 1 1/2 RPM if i held it to the floor and it would just sound like crap poping and stuttering once i let off the gas the car died, after that it didnt start again. When i did pull the plugs there were black so i replaced them...but it didnt change anything.

Last edited by AutobonEvo; Apr 2, 2007 at 06:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Motor Problems car wont start