Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Car's acting crazy. Need advice!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2007, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car's acting crazy. Need advice!

Alright here's the story. Drop my car off to get a fuel pump, boost gauge, and manual boost controller installed. The boost controller was set at the lowest level which is suppose to be stock. Did a couple of pulls and only register 12lbs on the gauge. So we worked up to all the way open on the light spring and got about 19lbs. On my way home some thing crazy started happening with the car. When I would step on the gas it would start sputtering like it was misfiring. Took in today and they checked it out for boost leak, vac leak. Didn't have any from what they say. I'm not throwing any codes. They checked the plugs and almost everything they could think of. I'm taking it back tomorrow to swap fuel pumps to see if thats the cause. Wanting to see if anyone on here has had this problem. If so what was it and how did you go about fixing it. I have a 06 MR and the boost controller was hallman, if this helps. Any input will help. Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 30, 2007, 04:14 PM
Former Sponsor

I hate to say it but sounds like the shop doesn't know what they are doing. What you attest sounds like a vacuum leak. Anytime a load is placed on the engine it will sputter. Either their is a hose loose, or a hose has a cut/slit in it or the shop missed a vacuum connection. A fuel issue would not cause a sputter, it would stall the car..IMHO..
Old Mar 30, 2007, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the info. I'm going to see if I can find anything tomorrow. I hope so at least.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

typical symptoms of a boost leak.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Lowest setting on a MBC would also not be stock unless for some odd reason you're still connected to the stock boost solenoid... With my Hallman turned all the way down it is about 12psi... But as for the problem, it sounds like a boost leak.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 08:48 PM

yeah definite boost leak
Old Mar 31, 2007, 02:41 AM
Evolved Member

you have stock air box.. check your snorkle it might be loose and getting sucked up against your hood.

just a thought. Did you retune and raise your fuel cut values?
Old Mar 31, 2007, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

I'm going to see what I can find.

Last edited by MREvolution06; Mar 31, 2007 at 06:42 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

I haven't retuned it yet. I just got it installed. I'm getting ready to mail my ecu out to be tune by jester. I do still have the stock air box but I have a drop in, if that matters. Anyone got suggestions on where I should begin to look for this leak? Anything will help. Thanks.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

i had the same problem... but i didnt have a mbc... my problem was... it would go then all of a sudden it would drop once hitting around 5k drop to 3.5k then go right back up... i still haven't figured out what was going on... i have a HKS RS intake, HKS hi power exhuast, and dc DP...no tune... i've checked and retightend all hoses... sorry for posting my problem in ur thread....
Old Mar 31, 2007, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by izabran
i had the same problem... but i didnt have a mbc... my problem was... it would go then all of a sudden it would drop once hitting around 5k drop to 3.5k then go right back up... i still haven't figured out what was going on... i have a HKS RS intake, HKS hi power exhuast, and dc DP...no tune... i've checked and retightend all hoses... sorry for posting my problem in ur thread....
No problem man! Sorry to hear about your car. I know how your feeling. I hope you figure things out bro. If I find some thing I'll let you know. Might help!
Old Mar 31, 2007, 07:30 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like they did not transfer over the white plastic piece from the old pump to the new. This would give you fuel pickup problems as the grommet would start to leak.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Sounds like they did not transfer over the white plastic piece from the old pump to the new. This would give you fuel pickup problems as the grommet would start to leak.
So I should have them pull the pump and check it out?

I've checked all my hoses, pipes and clamps. Everything is fine as far as I can see. If it a bosst leak how whould I check it exactly. I've only hit the stock boost settings. I gone over them once when we were trying to find the right setting. Please let me know.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Thanks for the help. I looked at my old fuel pump and the white plastic piece was still on it. Took it to the shop and they put it on the new pump. No problems now! Thanks again.