Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Mobil 1 15-50

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2007, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mobil 1 15-50

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...1_15W-50_.aspx

I'm giving it a try. I think it might be a good idea for built motors and high boost. What do you think?
Old Mar 31, 2007, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ive run it before.. motor felt quieter... nothing to get my hopes up.. lol
Old Mar 31, 2007, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

How bout Torco SR-1 synthetic. Claim up to 3% HP/TQ increase.
www.torcousa.com
Old Mar 31, 2007, 04:29 PM
fid
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Have always run Mobil One and have so for many, many years on all my performance cars. I usually run 10-30 in the winter for alittle better cold start protection and 15-50 in the summer for driving hard under very hot conditions. Worked excellent for my mid 300 hp daily drivers I have had all the way to my built motor VR6 Turbo making BIG power. from me.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
try mobil1 5w-50 i haved used it and it worked fine the engine was quieter it helpes on cold starts and the 50 protects you up top
Old Mar 31, 2007, 05:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
It's just a guessing game unless you get your used oil analyzed. Most folks I know who have done that regularly have sworn off Mobil 1 altogether and moved to Redline, Amsoil, etc.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by number 8
How bout Torco SR-1 synthetic. Claim up to 3% HP/TQ increase.
www.torcousa.com
Torco is also formulated to run with turbo motors also...it can handle alot more heat then Mobil can also. Also they told us that it has better resistance to foaming...thats why we use it on some of our Small Aircraft motors (1200cc-1600cc) Works great IMO. It can take max RPM for 20-30mins for long climb outs...yah that will heat a turbo up! But thats my personal opinion.

The heavier weight oil was made for better protection during extended runs. but the issue with these higher weights is how well they protect while cold. The thick cold oil has a hard time flowing between bearings and such when the motor has tight tolerances...when its hot its fine. When i was working with BMW motors the engineers told us that this it why they run such a low weight oil..thick oil wouldnt get around the motor like it should...(BMW motors have crazy tight tolerances)

My opinion if you chose to run this oil is always let the car warm up before driving so that the oil is at the right viscosity to properly protect the motor. Even in the summer.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

i posted this in a thread earlier. I ONLY use Redline synth in my high HP engines. i have seen better spool, slightly more power(my own dyno testing) and much smoother revs. I also use Redline in everything else as well(i.e. diff, TC, transaxle....ect.) It's by far the best stuff on the market. You will pay dearly for it though....and it's sometimes tuff to come by due to the buy in vendors have to purchase to get the stuff....so most people don't carry it. Autozone use to carry it on the shelf, but since redline changed their order buy-in Autozone stopped carrying it altogether. From what i understand, the vendor has to buy a ton of product for each order....

Either way, if you can find a place that can get it......or are willing to order off the internet......make the switch to Redline.

CJ
Old Mar 31, 2007, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds interesting. I would just run it in the summer.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 04:49 AM
fid
Evolving Member

Maybe some people should read some results from testing before assuming a higher priced oil is necessarily better: http://www.performanceoiltechnology....oiltesting.htm

Testing was done by Amsoil themselves and Mobil One, for being at the minimum, being half of the price of some of the oils mentioned did pretty damn good for a highly marketed, get at any auto parts store engine oil. But of course this is just my opinion and experience .
Old Apr 2, 2007, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fid
Maybe some people should read some results from testing before assuming a higher priced oil is necessarily better: http://www.performanceoiltechnology....oiltesting.htm

Testing was done by Amsoil themselves and Mobil One, for being at the minimum, being half of the price of some of the oils mentioned did pretty damn good for a highly marketed, get at any auto parts store engine oil. But of course this is just my opinion and experience .
Hey fid,
Thanks for the link. Looks like Mobil 1 does really well. 15-50 would do a little worse in some of those tests, but better in others. Since I live in SoCal and winter is over, I'm not too concerned with cold starts.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 06:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by fid

In that testing, they compared Mobil 1 and Amsoil to a bunch of lesser, less expensive oils. Not sure what that testing has to do with Mobil 1 being comparable to Redline, etc. In fact, it appears in that testing that Amsoil outperformed Mobil 1, which is consistent with everything I've ever heard from oil analysis. The best way to determine which oil is best for your own car is just to try them and get them analyzed, but I would suspect that you aren't going to find something that is better than Mobil 1 for less money, but you can certainly get better than Mobil 1 if you are willing to pay $7-8 quart. Personally, after seeing a lot of oil analysis on LT1 and LS1 engines, I won't put anything less than Amsoil into my cars for track events. For the street, it's not as big of a deal. Now more money doesn't necessarily mean better in all cases. I would stay away from Royal Purple for example...
Old Apr 2, 2007, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by fid

That test was with Mobil 1 'extended' use oil, which if I'm not mistaken should be changed every 6,500 miles. I wonder how the standard Mobil1 synthetic 10w-30 would do?...
Old Apr 2, 2007, 06:42 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
after reading mobil one website, it showed that their extended performance mobil one had the best base stocks compared to the rest of their line and also complies with the GF-4 mandate. That is why I started using it after noticing that my oem mobil 1 10W/30 was very dirty and thick at 4000 miles. With the mobil 1 10w/30 extended performance, I did not notice that.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=251442
Old Apr 2, 2007, 09:21 AM
fid
Evolving Member

I am not trying to say one is the best and one is the right oil for everyone. I am just trying to say that if Mobil One is being compared to a oil that is almost double its price per quart and is competing very close to it then for the average weekend warrior that doesn't want to spend $50-60+ on oil every oil change it should be just fine .

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 15-50