Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How much abuse can stock rear axles take?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2007, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much abuse can stock rear axles take?

Im running the BF Drag Radials tires at 12 psi

So my questions is how much abuse can stock axles handle? Ive done about 300plus launches and 30 at my new power level. I did a 4 wheel burnout to heat up the clutch and get the tires sticky than i cut about a 1.7 60ft and boom
I had just started doing my NHRA licensing passes were they require me to do 1 half pass three 1/8th mile runs than 2 full runs over 135mph or 9s in the 1/4 mile
I woke up this morning and thought just one axles had snapped but both had snapped

So im wondering if anyone at my power level or more has had better luck with the stock rear axles or upgrade them to the lv 5 D.S.S?
Old Apr 1, 2007, 09:43 AM

holy hell......time to upgrade unless you wanna snap another set of stockers!
Old Apr 1, 2007, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by speeddemon100
holy hell......time to upgrade unless you wanna snap another set of stockers!
I had thought that our cars transfers power to all 4 equally but from what ive been reading the rears get the abuse.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Bump for answers
Old Apr 1, 2007, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Paul I think it is equal but when your car has a lower stance in the rear and when you launch all your weight gets put on the rear and the fronts are lifting the rear axles will end up with most of the power.

Thats why on my Talon I have the front lower than the back and set my schocks all the way stiff in the rear so I can keep as much traction on the front. I will also run my front tires at 15lbs and the rear at 25lbs.

I feel with a smoother launch and the car setup a bit better stock ones will hold ok but some wheel hop or violent clutch drop will break them again.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A double edged sword AWD is...........get some DSS half shafts, but there goes more $$$$.

I tell you what you definately take the aches and pains of owning a high hp 4cy. very well. The minute something breaks for me I want a RWD car Cobra/Vette in a heartbeat.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

I have the same power level as you- 708.

Now I havent done 30 or so passes with that type of power level b/c I dont want to put that type of abuse on my motor or drivetrain. So my expierence with that part is limited. But I have talked to a lot of knowledgable ppl about the abuse of the drivetrain (AMS, Buschur, Shep etc.)

I also talked to the D S S awhile back. The stockers can blow @ even 500hp the front typically holds out longer but when your pushing that much power to the ground eventually it will give out.

Thats why I chose to go with the Stage 5 axels, why find out, everyone told me that if you run that much power, **** will break. And you proved the theory right at least for me, not that I wish you bad luck with your car, but Im glad to know my money was invested in something that was going to be needed at some point.

Ive luanched it the car enough and AMS has done alot of work with my car as far as tunning and the abuse that it has probably seen, they've held up for almost a full year now.

Go get them! and save the hassel.

PS. Question for you- what times have you been getting with your setup? I never got a chance last year to track it, but this year I plan on going to the events and local track.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WhtEvo05
I have the same power level as you- 708.

Now I havent done 30 or so passes with that type of power level b/c I dont want to put that type of abuse on my motor or drivetrain. So my expierence with that part is limited. But I have talked to a lot of knowledgable ppl about the abuse of the drivetrain (AMS, Buschur, Shep etc.)

I also talked to the D S S awhile back. The stockers can blow @ even 500hp the front typically holds out longer but when your pushing that much power to the ground eventually it will give out.

Thats why I chose to go with the Stage 5 axels, why find out, everyone told me that if you run that much power, **** will break. And you proved the theory right at least for me, not that I wish you bad luck with your car, but Im glad to know my money was invested in something that was going to be needed at some point.

Ive luanched it the car enough and AMS has done alot of work with my car as far as tunning and the abuse that it has probably seen, they've held up for almost a full year now.

Go get them! and save the hassel.

PS. Question for you- what times have you been getting with your setup? I never got a chance last year to track it, but this year I plan on going to the events and local track.
Thanks for the info
Well as soon as i can finish my last 2 test runs i get my NHRA licensed
As of right now with the boost turned down to 28psi we hit 136 mph and 10.8 in the 1/4 with a 1.7 60ft. The run i broke my axles with i turned the boost to 37psi and had the Methanol and Nitrous map kick in down low which was enough to make things go boom.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ifarted2
Thanks for the info
Well as soon as i can finish my last 2 test runs i get my NHRA licensed
As of right now with the boost turned down to 28psi we hit 136 mph and 10.8 in the 1/4 with a 1.7 60ft. The run i broke my axles with i turned the boost to 37psi and had the Methanol and Nitrous map kick in down low which was enough to make things go boom.
What other mods do you have done to your drivetrain, specifically your transmission and transfercase? How are those items holding up?