Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Shep Tre or Bushwacker????

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2007, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rcheung
Did you have replace it with a stock TC or Built TC the last time?
Built. But the low level one (no lsd or acd etc, just rebuild forged spider gear and all that stuff)
Old Apr 2, 2007, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OtownEvo
Bump
Dude, come on. 3 bumps in one page in the same day when you've already received a lot of feedback. One bump is enough.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry ready to order today....have phone in my hand trying to make the right decision....dont want have to say should of could of......would have......

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Dude, come on. 3 bumps in one page in the same day when you've already received a lot of feedback. One bump is enough.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

whats wrong with your tranny now?
Old Apr 2, 2007, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by elhalisf
Well, on paper, TRE seems to have the best value rebuild.

But i did have a direct, and a not so good, experience with one of these builders. It involved getting the tranny rebuilt twice, ending up in the builder buying the bad tranny as a core, and me buying another bad tranny were i rebuilt it my self.

LOL I think i bought one of those off you. Still sitting in my garage while I'm looking for a t-case core and LSD within my means. Blown up bell housing right?

Did you by an arbor press, how did you measure toloreance? Where did you find the specs/ how to? What did you replace?

I can't imagine shifting over 5K... I don't remember ever being able to since it was new!
Old Apr 2, 2007, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Not to hijack a thread, but what is a bad tranny core worth?
Old Apr 2, 2007, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

whats wrong with your tranny now?
last week was driving and i started to hear some thing weird like a whinning............i took straight to the dealer.....it came to find out that the drain plug came out some how..... so know I have what people call the death wine......so i am in need of replacing. transfercase..and i figured mite aswell do the tranny too...... come to find is cheaper to fix before it breaks the to fix it aftewards.......
Old Apr 2, 2007, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
last week was driving and i started to hear some thing weird like a whinning............i took straight to the dealer.....it came to find out that the drain plug came out some how..... so know I have what people call the death wine......so i am in need of replacing. transfercase..and i figured mite aswell do the tranny too...... come to find is cheaper to fix before it breaks the to fix it aftewards.......
If the tcase is whining its already too late.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 03:56 PM

Mines at sheps right now I went with shep because thats the place my shop recommends and I only hear good things about him so I guess you cant go wrong with any of them..
Old Apr 2, 2007, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

I am debating which company to go with as well. I actually called Buschur today before I saw this thread and talked to Daniel about what he does compared to Shep. He told me that when he takes your trans apart he will inspect everything to see if anything is worn out and needs replacing. If so he will call you and see if you want it replaced (at an additional cost). I asked why he does not replace 5/r sleeve, 3/4 fork, and input bearing like shep does. He said that he rarely sees a problem with the input shaft bearing, so he only replaces that if it looks worn out. He said that he has never had a problem with the 3/4 fork and again would only replace that if it was worn out. Lastly he said that most ppl don't typically wear out 5th or reverse synchro so again those are only changed if they look worn out. Pretty much makes sense to me, I mean if buschur can run 8's on this trans and not have problems with bearings and forks then I probably wont either. However, I do think that they really should include 5/r synchro's and sleeve at the same price, especially since it is fairly common for people to have 5th gear issues due to the TSB. As of now there price seems a little bit high, especially compared to their relatively competitive price on most other stuff. Buschur does have great service and Daniel was very helpful but even so I still think prices are a little bit high. If they included the 5/r synchros and sleeve that would make their price very competitive.

Last edited by dudical26; Apr 2, 2007 at 05:25 PM.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

My car is at Buschur's for some work along with a trans rebuilt. Can't go wrong with Buschur..
Old Apr 2, 2007, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

I am going to be getting Tranny and Transfercase upgrade....I know this question has been asked before but I am looking for some fresh opinions?????

What everyone thoughts?????

Shep Racing?

Tre???

Bushwacker???

Give me your thoughts????????????
I have a Sheptrans stage 2 transfercase in my 04 evo 8 and I love it. Can't go wrong with the Sheptrans T-case. If your getting a new tranny to, check out the dog box by Sheptrans.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dudical26
I am debating which company to go with as well. I actually called Buschur today before I saw this thread and talked to Daniel about what he does compared to Shep. He told me that when he takes your trans apart he will inspect everything to see if anything is worn out and needs replacing. If so he will call you and see if you want it replaced (at an additional cost). I asked why he does not replace 5/r sleeve, 3/4 fork, and input bearing like shep does. He said that he rarely sees a problem with the input shaft bearing, so he only replaces that if it looks worn out. He said that he has never had a problem with the 3/4 fork and again would only replace that if it was worn out. Lastly he said that most ppl don't typically wear out 5th or reverse synchro so again those are only changed if they look worn out. Pretty much makes sense to me, I mean if buschur can run 8's on this trans and not have problems with bearings and forks then I probably wont either. However, I do think that they really should include 5/r synchro's and sleeve at the same price, especially since it is fairly common for people to have 5th gear issues due to the TSB. As of now there price seems a little bit high, especially compared to their relatively competitive price on most other stuff. Buschur does have great service and Daniel was very helpful but even so I still think prices are a little bit high. If they included the 5/r synchros and sleeve that would make their price very competitive.
hmmm, interesting. so thats why the TSB, TSB-04-22-003REV, states to replace the following parts with updated ones.

5th Gear syncro MR581382 $29.87
Reverse Gear Syncro MN168934 $33.84
5th/Reverse Sleeve MN168859 $44.67
5th Syncro Ring MR581383 $3.02
Rev Syncro Ring MR581383 $3.02

so inorder to prevent the 5th gear grind from happening, you must ALSO replace the reverse gear syncro AND sleeve!
Old Apr 2, 2007, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

hmmm, interesting. so thats why the TSB, TSB-04-22-003REV, states to replace the following parts with updated ones.

5th Gear syncro MR581382 $29.87
Reverse Gear Syncro MN168934 $33.84
5th/Reverse Sleeve MN168859 $44.67
5th Syncro Ring MR581383 $3.02
Rev Syncro Ring MR581383 $3.02

so inorder to prevent the 5th gear grind from happening, you must ALSO replace the reverse gear syncro AND sleeve!
I totally agree. I think it is very silly for them to rebuild a trans and not apply the TSB as 5th gear grinds seem to be pretty common. When Daniel said that he does not commonly see worn out 5th gears, I think he was refereeing more to wear from drag racing.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm I wonder if my plug came out, that would suck, but then I could blame the shop that last did the change

Quick Reply: Shep Tre or Bushwacker????