Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Which(size & brand) cams are you running with your ported head?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2007, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
my question is, is there a way to prot your head and still retain low end response and air velocity.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ted,
given that the JUN 272s have significantly more duration at 1mm than the HKS 280s, what would your guess be as to the impact of those cams on my setup, assuming a pump gas tune only? (Mods, current dynochart)

l8r)

Last edited by Ludikraut; Apr 10, 2007 at 04:29 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by trinydex
my question is, is there a way to prot your head and still retain low end response and air velocity.
That all depends on how well the head is designed from the get-go. In some cases, it's possible to increase both up to a point. That is the goal of what the industry traditionally calls a 'street port'.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:43 AM

Wow, what a difference a day makes! I come back to this thread, and a lot more discussion on this. Keep this going, people.

Do we have any more people wanting to list? Discussion is good, but lets not forget why I started this thread. Thanks, everyone!
Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Ted,
given that the JUN 272s have significantly more duration at 1mm than the HKS 280s, what would your guess be as to the impact of those cams on my setup, assuming a pump gas tune only?
Lopey idle, weak vacuum, and some reduced low speed response. IMO, your turbo is on the low side of what I'd consider for those cams. To be honest however, I probably choose JUN 272s for any EVO with a ported head. IMO, the mild lift figures for those cams make them best suited toward big turbo applications that (for whatever reason) are retaining a stock head, but upgraded valvetrain.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
They won't.

Duration at 1mm is what's important, as well as ramp shape, and of course a ported head's ability to make use more lift. It just doesn't make sense to me to throw all that money after a head, and allow the cams to be the limiting factor. The HKS cams are convenience grinds for stock heads and valvetrains, and not much else. Better grinds will outperform them 10 times out of 10.

So all the other cams that I listed will not make more power than the HKS cams?

Scorke
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
That all depends on how well the head is designed from the get-go. In some cases, it's possible to increase both up to a point. That is the goal of what the industry traditionally calls a 'street port'.
don't ever see such a thing offered or implicated. most people are like on stage 50 port and polish with eggs, sausage and bacon on an english muffin.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by scorke
So all the other cams that I listed will not make more power than the HKS cams?
I never said that, so you lost me.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Durr, I had trouble reading the way you replied to my response, forgive me haha. Ted think you could send me some PM's regarding your 35R setup I am going to be mimicing lots of it, different manifold but same intercooler and cams and lots of other mods, interested in what I should be shooting for.

Scorke
Old Apr 12, 2007, 04:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by trinydex
don't ever see such a thing offered or implicated. most people are like on stage 50 port and polish with eggs, sausage and bacon on an english muffin.
Yes, I suppose it's more of an old school term. Descriptors like "stage 6 with supersized valves" are more commonly used as an excuse to relieve consumers of (even) more of their cash these days.

Originally Posted by scorke
Ted think you could send me some PM's regarding your 35R setup I am going to be mimicing lots of it, different manifold but same intercooler and cams and lots of other mods, interested in what I should be shooting for.
I'm larger than a GT35R now, but the engine behaves as if the turbo were smaller. Hmmmm . . . .
Old Apr 12, 2007, 05:44 AM

Running HKS 280s and ported head +HKS vallve springs and retainers no problem soo far idleing ....very smooth
Old Apr 12, 2007, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Aloosh
Running HKS 280s and ported head +HKS vallve springs and retainers no problem soo far idleing ....very smooth
Hmmm.What sort of timing are you running?
Old Apr 12, 2007, 06:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What you are asking for is a little hard to do. On a turbocharged engine when you increase the airflow on the exhaust side you give up velocity. Thats just the way it is. In this case you can't have your cake and eat it to. You have to find a balance. I have spent, what seems like a life time in front of a flow bench developing different ports for different setups and have a firm hold on this. If you are looking for huge topend, you will be limited on spool up and may have to rely on a little spray to get you going, or you will have to give up a little topend to keep your spool a little late and still have some topend. Thats just the way it is. PM me for my phone number if you want to talk about your setup.

Last edited by HEAD DYNAMICS; Apr 19, 2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 06:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just so knowone comes on here and says that im wrong. Im not talking about when you increase flow the velocity goes down on a head where you are increasing flow by only 10-20 cfm. Im talking about a ported head, not some guy who cleans up the castings and blends the shortside radius a little bit.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

gcs 272/272, impressivly decent idle and pulls hard, plus they come with free arp head studs!