Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Which(size & brand) cams are you running with your ported head?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
Yes, I suppose it's more of an old school term. Descriptors like "stage 6 with supersized valves" are more commonly used as an excuse to relieve consumers of (even) more of their cash these days.

I'm larger than a GT35R now, but the engine behaves as if the turbo were smaller. Hmmmm . . . .
details?
Old Apr 12, 2007, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buschur's wicked cam shafts,stage 3 head.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
details?

Nothing magical, a t4 divided housing will spool a big wheel nearly as quick as a t3 housing will spool a smaller wheel

Scorke
Old Apr 12, 2007, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by U2SLO
Buschur's wicked cam shafts,stage 3 head.
Thanks for posting. Could you give more details on this setup? Like, when it spools, idle, HP and TQ, more topend power, etc?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by GHEvo8
gcs 272/272, impressivly decent idle and pulls hard, plus they come with free arp head studs!
Could you give some numbers please? Spools at what rpm, full boost at what rpm, max HP at what rpm, max TQ at what rpm, etc? Thanks.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

You have to understand that spool hp and tq are largely dependent on the turbos and engine size not just cams and head design.

Scorke
Old Apr 12, 2007, 02:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by scorke
Nothing magical, a t4 divided housing will spool a big wheel nearly as quick as a t3 housing will spool a smaller wheel
You meant to say "quicker than" . . .
Old Apr 13, 2007, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

I have AMS' ported race head with GSC 272 cams. I felt a noticeable increase on the top end with the butt dyno after install. I can see the bump around 5500 rpm with the mustang dyno so I know I gained some significant oomph in the higher rpms. I didn't have a dyno run prior to the head install so I don't have hard numbers to give you. My current hp/tq numbers are in the sig..all on 93 octane and 22 psi. This dyno reads low, even for a mustang so take that for what it's worth.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 10:10 AM

Thanks for your post, Cirrusly Evolvd

Originally Posted by Cirrusly Evolvd
I have AMS' ported race head with GSC 272 cams. I felt a noticeable increase on the top end with the butt dyno after install. I can see the bump around 5500 rpm with the mustang dyno so I know I gained some significant oomph in the higher rpms. I didn't have a dyno run prior to the head install so I don't have hard numbers to give you. My current hp/tq numbers are in the sig..all on 93 octane and 22 psi. This dyno reads low, even for a mustang so take that for what it's worth.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoTornado
Could you give some numbers please? Spools at what rpm, full boost at what rpm, max HP at what rpm, max TQ at what rpm, etc? Thanks.
i would love to , but unfortenetly ive never been dynoed yet, you cant go wrong with them for the price and im possitive you will be happy with them
Old Apr 16, 2007, 11:33 AM

Okay, lets post ALL mods that you have with your ported head/cams
To clear up some confusion ...

You have to understand that spool hp and tq are largely dependent on the turbos and engine size not just cams and head design.

Scorke
Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Scorke
but one has to admit that head design and cam application has a lot to do with both power and low end response.

the problem is that in the end a larger port is going to produce more top end power via delaying the peak mass flow point. there is no such thing as variable port geometry technology, well there could be but that's going to be terrible to apply.

the closest you get is variable valve timing. a good question is how much peak flow is affected by having a comparatively large port but restricting the valve valve lift at the lown end? and then how to apply this to keep the bottom end response there. but my guess is that whatever you do... larger port means larger delay.

larger intake manifold also usually means the same. this is also why i'm not sure how to interpret ludikraut's experience of swapping the ams intake mani and seeing NO spool change... i don't know if this is a fluke or a what because even if we look at ams's own tests on a 9 (mivec) the intake mani made things spool up slower!
Old Apr 18, 2007, 06:07 AM

Thanks for your post, trinydex!

Hey guys, please get the word out if you can, and have people post here. Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ted B
You meant to say "quicker than" . . .
What is the reasoning behind this? Does the divider allow the velocity to increase?
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
but one has to admit that head design and cam application has a lot to do with both power and low end response.

the problem is that in the end a larger port is going to produce more top end power via delaying the peak mass flow point. there is no such thing as variable port geometry technology, well there could be but that's going to be terrible to apply.

the closest you get is variable valve timing. a good question is how much peak flow is affected by having a comparatively large port but restricting the valve valve lift at the lown end? and then how to apply this to keep the bottom end response there. but my guess is that whatever you do... larger port means larger delay.

larger intake manifold also usually means the same. this is also why i'm not sure how to interpret ludikraut's experience of swapping the ams intake mani and seeing NO spool change... i don't know if this is a fluke or a what because even if we look at ams's own tests on a 9 (mivec) the intake mani made things spool up slower!
Variable intake runner length/intake manifold sizing is not a new concept, some SAE teams are currently running them I am pretty sure Clemson will be sporting one soon.

http://www.mne.psu.edu/me415/fall05/SAE/intake.html

Yes your 3000000% correct, head and cam combos change this however I would like to think that internal specifications and turbo choices play a more major role. that it will be ridiculously expensive, difficult, and complex but god damn it would be sweet paired with some variable geometry turbos and variable valve timing, I can dream......

Scorke