Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HKS Turbo upgrade for EVO-> 3037S model?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2003, 06:01 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TD06-20g flows 650cfm and will give up to 450bhp on a 2 litre evo engine
That is kinda LOW for an upgraded turbo, especially when the stock one can flow OVER 600 CFM's. I spoke with David and Tym over at Buschur racing and they said that the stock EVO VIII turbo is NOT a Big 16G, well not in the traditional sense of 600CFM's at 14.7 PSI. The compressor wheel is actually larger then the big 16G wheel, so it flows even more, like between 620 and 650 CFM's, a 20G that only flows 650 CFMS is a sorry upgrade for the evo, more like a 18G.

If you are going to upgrade a turbo, get one that flows atleast 800CFMS and put the 450 to the wheels, 500 + if you build it, my guess is wait for Forced Performance to make a variation of teh Green for the EVO, that will be the ULTIMATE Street turbo, it just makes the most power on pump gas, seen a STOCK bottom end 2G with a 2g HEAD!!!!! and HKS street cams make 400HP to the WHEELS on a FP green, immagine what it'll do on the EVO, a much superior power plant with stronger internals.
Old Jun 14, 2003, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by umiami80

That is kinda LOW for an upgraded turbo, especially when the stock one can flow OVER 600 CFM's. I spoke with David and Tym over at Buschur racing and they said that the stock EVO VIII turbo is NOT a Big 16G, well not in the traditional sense of 600CFM's at 14.7 PSI. The compressor wheel is actually larger then the big 16G wheel, so it flows even more, like between 620 and 650 CFM's, a 20G that only flows 650 CFMS is a sorry upgrade for the evo, more like a 18G.

If you are going to upgrade a turbo, get one that flows atleast 800CFMS and put the 450 to the wheels, 500 + if you build it, my guess is wait for Forced Performance to make a variation of teh Green for the EVO, that will be the ULTIMATE Street turbo, it just makes the most power on pump gas, seen a STOCK bottom end 2G with a 2g HEAD!!!!! and HKS street cams make 400HP to the WHEELS on a FP green, immagine what it'll do on the EVO, a much superior power plant with stronger internals.

Who is Forced Performance? Where are they located? Do they have a website?
Old Jun 15, 2003, 01:31 AM
Account Disabled

Who is forced performance? Wholey **** you need to bone up on the DSM community. Basically a 57 Trim Turbo, BIG power pretty good spool, just a lil lager then the stock turbo but FLOWS. It is a hybrid turbo with garrett internals, but better run an external, internals work but externals are SO much better, just type in forced performance, they have an off the Shelf turbo that has run 9's.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 02:41 AM
Evolved Member

Guaranteed FP makes nothing for the evo yet. It's too soon.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 09:28 AM
Account Disabled

Just an FYI that we'll have more 3037 kits (comlete kits with manifold, external wastegate, hardware) coming in shortly, and we'll be offering a pckage complete with injectors and a fuel pump to suit. I had one of these kits that I had purchased for my own Evo, but when I ended up not getting the car, I sold the kit to a guy in Flordia, and have lost touch with him.

In any event, we'll also have the GReddy kits coming into stock the end of next week
Old Jun 15, 2003, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

comparing greddy turbo kits to forced performance is ridiculous
greddy and hks are the best money can buy, they are designed for a daily drivers with minimum lag.
its like comparing 5.7l camaro to an evo or sti
it might be bigger but its still ****
Old Jun 15, 2003, 12:32 PM
Account Disabled

Forced Performance has designed the best turbos for teh 4G63 at a minimum cost, they can make over 400+ WHP on an otherwise stock 2G head and bottom end and spoolup under 4000RPMs, and bolt roght on to the stock manifold.

I do not like Greddy turbos, the 18G especially, HKS is FINE but more then double the cost of a similar if not superior turbo.

FP owns, sorry they do, check out Slow Boy racing as well, great turbos and MANY DSM's are running these kits so watch out.

20G is a fine turbo,m but will not be a bog step over the stocker my suggestion is wait for these companies to realease these turbos, Buschur will probably make a custom 20G flowing over 700 CFM's but I believe ball bearing is the way to go, just superior but NOT rebuildable.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

i respect your opinion but still would go with whole greddy hks kit
im not interested in a turbo that flows 700-850fcm
its just too much, you cant take full advantage with a turbo that big and will be laggy untill 4-5k rpm
Old Jun 15, 2003, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

I had a 20g turbo modified to fit a 57-trim on my GST, Full boost at 4200-4500rpm Kindda uncofortable for daily driving, i wouldnt like to have the same on this car. I am looking forward to upgrading the stock turbo with a bigger compressor wheel, Ive seen 14b-20g conversions put down nice #'s And still using the 6cm back housing. Our stock turbo modified to fit a bigger wheel = Keep ur warranty, faster spool up, Decent TOPend. I think the stock turbo has a lot of potential , And i dont think anyone has reached its limits yet, But time will tell.

Peace out.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Z1 Performance
Just an FYI that we'll have more 3037 kits (comlete kits with manifold, external wastegate, hardware) coming in shortly, and we'll be offering a pckage complete with injectors and a fuel pump to suit. I had one of these kits that I had purchased for my own Evo, but when I ended up not getting the car, I sold the kit to a guy in Flordia, and have lost touch with him.

In any event, we'll also have the GReddy kits coming into stock the end of next week
Adam, I'm kinda scared to ask this but I'm gonna ask anyway, what are those HKS 3037 Kits retailing for? The kit with the manifold, wastegate injectors and pumps?

Do you offer installation and tuning with the purchase of your kit? Do you back up your work/installs?
Old Jun 18, 2003, 07:58 AM

Originally posted by blackevo2001

comparing greddy turbo kits to forced performance is ridiculous
greddy and hks are the best money can buy, they are designed for a daily drivers with minimum lag.
its like comparing 5.7l camaro to an evo or sti
it might be bigger but its still ****
If you are stupid enough to believe that than you deserve to spend 3k on a turbo

Some of you really need to get off the name brand bandwagon. HKS and Greddy may make some bling bling products but the DSM vendors have been testing their products on a huge market so they know EXACTLY what results to expect. Us DSM guys have been doing this for years now the path is very well mapped out. If you want to reinvent the wheel understand that you are going to spend MORE money and you might not get the results you were looking for.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 08:04 AM

Who is forced performance? Wholey **** you need to bone up on the DSM community. Basically a 57 Trim Turbo, BIG power pretty good spool, just a lil lager then the stock turbo but FLOWS.
A Green uses a 50 trim. A 50 trim with a stage 3 wheel and a 63 exhaust housing is the PERFECT turbo for the 4g63. It also works very nice with a 6h wheel and a 7cm housing.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

All this FP talk is irrelevant simply because none of their turbos (to my knowledge) even work on the evo due to its engine orientation.
Old Jun 19, 2003, 07:46 AM

Hey, keep us two wheel drive camaros out of this. No need to compare my 700hp GT25 twin turbo car to an AWD EVO or STI. Watch for APS to introduce their full EVO and STI packages over here in the states. They use the dual ball bearing garrett japan cartridges, just like HKS, and will offer stages just like they do for the WRX's.
Old Jun 19, 2003, 07:55 AM
Account Disabled

The 3037S kits go for $5899.00 from us including manifold, wastegate and the turbo....there are extras needed, such as the oil lines, injectors, pump and some ancillary items as well.

We also highly recommend fitting the HKS 1.2mm headgasket, ARP studs and ARP rod bolts with this kit as well.

I agree that FP makes som excellent units for the DSM's, and no doubt that over time, they will make great products for the Evo as well. However, there is no mystery that these kits are widely used in Japan and Europe, and people have returned phenomenal results from setups based on the HKS and Trust/Greddy kits.

Are they expensive? Absolustely, no doubt about it, and as such, they are not for everyone. But stating they are merely bling bling and nothing else quite frankly is just wrong....they do make some of the best produsts on the market, and do so for a wide variety of cars.

Yes, we do offer installation as well on the kits, as well as tuning, and we warranty all work we do.

Adam
Z-1 Performance

Quick Reply: HKS Turbo upgrade for EVO-> 3037S model?