Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transfer Case issue

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2007, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Transfer Case issue

ok this image shows whats going on with the red evo. which is the car i'm fixing, this car will light up the front tires when you just roll into boost. when going in a figure 8 it doesnt BIND AT ALL. when going in circles to the left, to the right, in reverse with respect; it also does not BIND. however i do suspect something in the transfer case to be either SHEERED OFF or broken, due to erratic drivetrain noises.

now i had this car up in the air by the PASSENGER SIDE. while in neutral when you spun the rear tire FORWARD the front tire would spin BACKWARDS. as if it had a completely OPEN differential in the center. this along with the total and complete roast of the front tires when rolling into boost leads me to believe the viscous coupling unit has failed.

i also took another friends evo this is the yellow one and i put it up in the air by the driver side, this one has a good transfer case. while in neutral when you spin the rear tire FORWARD the front tire would spin FORWARD. given the fact that this car has not ever presented any of the above stated symptoms i am trusting that this is how the VCU is supposed to behave.

does this all make sense?
have any of you had similar problems?
if so what were the causes?
any pics?
any corrections?

to the mods i hope you dont mind me also posting this on a higher volume section.

thanks in advance.
Eddie Rosado
Old Apr 8, 2007, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry if I cant see it but what year car. A ACD car has a piston and clutchs for the VC so it will do that when the pump is not runing so when the car is off or if the system is not bled right and can not activate the the ACD system.

Have really never seen a older VC so burnt up it will totaly free wheel but I guess it could happen or maybe something is broke at the VC causing it not to do it job.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
yep its an older one sorry i didnt state that before. its an 03 to be more precise. and thats exactly what i feel the car doing at the center diff action, its just completely open. i'm gona tear down the unit 2moro, i'll post how it goes.

Eddie Rosado