Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Meth Question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2007, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You just buy 100% of meth, and mix it, with distilled water.

Originally Posted by Sully 18
where to buy 70/30 never even heard of that and im assuming u can run 70/30 on the snow kit
Old Apr 8, 2007, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i really dont have patience for that.. maybe ill just go 100%
Old Apr 8, 2007, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Exagerations, speculations and missleading info. I am still waiting to see an actually methanol pump kit to fail due to corrosion, please show me.

Methanol might be corrosive but as mentioned before people like to exagerate. The methnaol kits have tough components, the lines are stain steel braided, the tank is hard plastic and will never corrode, the nozzle is made of brass and I never see corrosion on them and as far is the pump it might have a rubber base seal but you can drop a tablespoon of Klootz oil in your meth tank if you are concern.

We need to stop fueling the fear with the methanol usage, it is not as harmful as the people think. There are many ways around(90 meth-10 water) 50 meth-50 water) and you can also use pure Alcohol.

Go and buy your methanol kit because I predict that nothing will happen. Trevor has been running methanol/alcohol on his dodge Stealth for 7 years and never had any issues. And who is Trevor?

just watch:

http://www.technicaltuning.com/gtonemesis/1039.wmv

my .2c

Carlos
7 years still pulling like that ...cool. He's on C16 and other goodies...thanks for the video...i think?
Old Apr 8, 2007, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ultimate CC
head studs are over rated and I do not recommend them being installed the 1x1 method, do it the right way by removing the head or keep the stockers...95% of blown head gaskets are from improperly installed arp headstuds...

I did the 1x1 method and have about 25k on the engine and no problems running 30psi. I guess Im one of the few that did it right then.

Also I was wondering about the Aluminum and meth. You also have to figure that the meth isnt always spraying. The fuel should wash it away or end up being completely burnt away in a few motor revolutions.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 09:09 PM
Account Disabled

1x1 was done on my car as well and worked, and does work from time to time, but my point is you never see any stock studs failing...it was a fallacy brought over to the evo from the 3gen days...you are correct on meth isn't always spraying and yea the fuel will wash most away but for people like me who sprayed 60 gallons in less than a year, every little bit helps, for me I couldn't find anymore power in the 166 drag passes from changing from 100 to 50...
Old Apr 9, 2007, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1x1 was done on my car as well and worked, and does work from time to time, but my point is you never see any stock studs failing...it was a fallacy brought over to the evo from the 3gen days...you are correct on meth isn't always spraying and yea the fuel will wash most away but for people like me who sprayed 60 gallons in less than a year, every little bit helps, for me I couldn't find anymore power in the 166 drag passes from changing from 100 to 50...
Gotcha.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, I will be running 100%, maybe 75% of meth for best results, if you know how to tune the car and regulary check your meth kit. I dont think there should be a problem.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe we should call Mythbuster team and have them show us that Methanol corrosion is over exagerated. On a serious note, we sometimes overstress possible (untested) failures without giving a try first.

We have perhaps hundred or thousands of alcohol users and I never heard that their system is down due to corrosion.

Carlos
Old Apr 9, 2007, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Maybe we should call Mythbuster team and have them show us that Methanol corrosion is over exagerated.

Carlos
Or that stock Evo head bolts can't handle 26-28 psi?
Old Apr 9, 2007, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
No corrosion with alky, and no, it doesn't make less power than meth. 100% is always capable of making more power than 50/50, too.
So you are saying alky makes the same power as meth? I guess it comes down to what you have easiest access to then...

Last edited by DS-03evo; Apr 9, 2007 at 03:51 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

ask the ones that actually tune cars which makes more, its all relative to the psi and nozzle you use anyway...on a snow kit with the 150psi pump and a 625 nozzle 50% meth gets the job done...if you want to run 100% take some aluminum and stick it in the meth for a little, let me know if thats what you want your motor to look like...
So you are using the 625??
Old Apr 9, 2007, 04:01 PM
Account Disabled

well my evo is no parted out but yea, i switched to 625 from the 375 that i started out with, both work pretty close perfromance wise but the 625 gave me extra room when on nitrous that i needed...
Old Apr 9, 2007, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

I think we need some real scientific data that is relevant to our applications to show us which is the right way to go. Way too much speculation
Old Apr 9, 2007, 04:06 PM
Account Disabled

people should use whatever makes them happy haha, for me 50% is way to go, i never got a hp more from high percents with my setup, it was safe to spray on windshield and cost me less than 2 bucks a gallon for a while (price went up a bit)...to each their own...60 gallons through my motor and no issues...
Old Apr 9, 2007, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sully 18
Sorry guys for posting this but i tried searching and really couldnt find an answer.... hearing straight meth is bad/corrosive. Should i go with the snow performance boost cooler meth sys? and would it even make the same power as straight meth
methanol is only corrosive to metals like zinc, aluminum...metals that form "weak" oxides.

the wetted parts in an injection consist of

-nylon
-santoprene
-NBR, buna rubber oring
-polyethylene, polypropylene
-delrin

the materials above show almost no reactivity to methyl alcohol

you make power when you approach 12.5AFR / 0.85 lambda. Water (very high latent heat of vaporization) and methanol(high latent heat of vaporization and high octane) will help acheive the goal by supressing knock by in-cylinder cooling, octane enhancement or both

Also check out the spark plugs

one with water injection ran at 12.5afr, the other 11.XX afr without injection

Last edited by SlowCar; Apr 9, 2007 at 05:13 PM. Reason: add spark plug pics