Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Fuel Cell Expansion/Replacement for Evo 9 SE

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2007, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Cell Expansion/Replacement for Evo 9 SE

Hello, Im kinda new here and sorry if this doesnt belong, if it doesnt can you move it to where it does?

I want to add a fuel cell or make the current fuel cell bigger. I need the evo to go very far for a rally. Does anyone have any current specs on the fuel cell (dimensions, capacity, etc). I am looking to ideally get another one installed with a switch that would control if it was being used or not. Ideally I would not use it for normal driving conditions, but for a long trip or such, I could fill it up and get some really good range on the car. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

When you say fuel cell i'm assuming you mean fuel cell, as in racing fuel cell as in tank with rubber bladder inside? I dunno about long trips, because you'll have to put it in the trunk, so there goes storage, but you could do it. As for rally purposes, is this a real rally, IE Roll cages required etc etc? If so you likely won't be allowed to use (or have) your stock fuel tank anyway...
Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03_Lancer_ES
When you say fuel cell i'm assuming you mean fuel cell, as in racing fuel cell as in tank with rubber bladder inside? I dunno about long trips, because you'll have to put it in the trunk, so there goes storage, but you could do it. As for rally purposes, is this a real rally, IE Roll cages required etc etc? If so you likely won't be allowed to use (or have) your stock fuel tank anyway...
Thanks for the advice. Its a road rally with checkpoints. Also, storage in the trunk it really not an issue. I am willing to give up room in the trunk for durability. I was hoping to get a solid tank made out of some lightweight material. Rubber bladder inside is fine, but I would need some sort of cutoff, that I could swtich to make the secondary fuel cell active or inactive.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Well, generally when you refer to a fuel cell what you mean is a box with a rubber bladder inside and foam to absorb impact so that in the event of a crash the bladder will distort rather than having fuel leak everywhere. The bladder also functions to prevent a lot of sloshing around of fuel to prevent starvation of the engine when you're running low. When you say road rally, do you mean like Targa Newfoundland? The Cannonball run? (If the latter, get a van and race that, I saw it in a movie once, works great )

If it's a sanctioned event, the sanctioning body should have some pretty well laid out rules regarding this.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

This made it into the Advanced section?
Old Apr 12, 2007, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
You could mount a fuel cell in the trunk with a drain hose routed to the stock fuel tank. Top off the stock fuel tank, then fill the cell in the rear.

As you use up fuel, the stock tank will drain and fuel from the trunk tank will "refill" the stock tank. Once all the fuel in the trunk tank has drained, it will act just like having only the stock tank. Your fuel guage will work as normal, except it will stay on "full" for a long time (until the trunk tank is drained)

EVOlutionary
Old Apr 14, 2007, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Wouldn't that cause the fuel to back up into the filler nozzle part thing and spill out?
Old Apr 14, 2007, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
As long as you kept the trunk tank lower than the filler nozzle, no. You could put a round tank set down into the spare tire well. You could probably get 5 gallons in there and not set too much higher than the trunk floor. . .

EVOlutionary
Old Apr 14, 2007, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Probably would be better to put the largest possible fuel cell in the trunk with completely seperate wiring and plumbing up to a common t-fitting in the fuel line with an electromechanical switch. This switch would select which fuel line (from OEM tank or fuel cell) to allow to be connected with the OEM fuel line running to the engine bay. A network or relays could switch the respective fuel pump in the fuel cell on and at the same time switch the pump in the OEM tank off, and vice versa as needed.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

thanks again for all the advice. Now to find people who would actually do this for me. Any ideas?

Once again, sorry if this doesnt belong in the advanced section, im new here and didnt know where else it would fit. Didnt seem like a common question so I figured some of the advanced guys would know the technicals of how the fuel system or a new fuel system would work.