Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy Stage 1 Clutch Reviews?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2012, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive put about 6k miles on this clutch so far. The only issue ive had with it is some clutch chatter when i let of the gas and coast in gear. Other than that, it holds well, plenty of launches off the 2step several outings to the strip and the track. The install was a bit of a pain in the *** but it didnt take as long as expected. Probably 12 hours of actual labor, 4 hours of "damn i dont have that tool" and other frustrations. For the price its not bad if youre stock or only have a few bolt ons. I only hope i can get 40k miles out of it like the other guys on here say they got.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 08:44 PM

Here's another review by me on this clutch:

Had this clutch installed by a performance shop at 13k miles. Really couldn't believe the stock one went out that early since I baby the hell out of the car, no launching, track, or autocross.

Was a bit concerned at the beginning, since it was EXTREMELY difficult to get used to, starting from a dead stop and shifting gears. Felt like the clutch was stage 5 or something, since there was massive shaking and loud thumps everytime I shifted, even just shifting below 3000 rpm and taking it easy. I stalled the car multiple times on the drive home from the shop.

Plus the clutch smelled every time I needed to go up a hill or inch slowly into a parking spot. I read all the bad reviews about this Exedy Stage 1 Organic clutch and worried that it was going to burn up in 5000 miles.

Well I'm sitting at 30k miles now, so 17k miles later. It's still doing ok, I've noticed the engagement point was become much higher on the pedal travel. And the starting from a stop and shifting has smoothed out tremendously, now it feels like what the stock clutch felt like. The burn clutch smell has gone away too but i still get nervous everytime I need to start up on a steep hill. No slipping yet.

I just did the transmission, Transfer case, and rear diff fluid change, so hopefully I didn't just jinx myself and the clutch starts slipping tomorrow! I spend some dough on redline cocktail for the trans, stock Diaqueen for transfer case and rear diff. I would be a shame if I have to do the clutch again soon and have to replace all the fluids again. Oh I am still on stock CMC btw.

Mods on the car: Cobb stage 1, ams intake, rota p45f wheels.

I still have not launched the car, but thinking about trying out autocross
Old Mar 24, 2013, 02:49 AM
Evolving Member

If the stock clutch went out 13k , then there's definitely sth wrong with your driving style. Doesn't matter how much you baby your car, its just your habbit. Also, exedy stage 1 clutch is one of the easiest clutchIn the market...pedal feels stiffer, but engagement itself is very smooth than any other clutches. You said now your pedal got higher, that means you burnt the clutch to death.. if the exedy stage 1 is difficult for you, then stock clutch is the only option for you..
Old Mar 24, 2013, 02:55 AM
Evolving Member

Anyways, OP . Ppl complain about this clutch quite a lot, but I gotta tell you most of them just installed wrong. Exedy stage 1 pedal feels definitely stiffer, but once you get used to it, you will love it. I have act 6puck clutch right now, and the pedal feels like it's impossible to DD lol so exedy stage 1 was like a sponge for me. Most importantly, the life of clutch is all depend on how you drive if it's installed correctly.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 05:26 PM

i have the exedy stage 2 clutch and it feels great quick engagement and pedal height similar to stock .