Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stock shortblock, stock head, new record numbers for the EVO Green turbo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2007, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mike1023
whats are gsc s1's
cams for the EVO 9, wouldnt apply to us
Old Apr 13, 2007, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Evo 8
Thats incorrect. The S-Series cams are designed for the EVO 4-8.
There are also Mivec S-Series cams obviously for the 9's.

You can find more info here ---> http://www.stikiller.com/product.php...age=1&featured

Last edited by BBYBruno; Apr 13, 2007 at 09:25 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blue Evo 8
give me a call when ya can got to ask ya somthing
Old Apr 13, 2007, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BBYBruno
Thats incorrect. The S-Series cams are designed for the EVO 4-8.
There are also Mivec S-Series cams obviously for the 9's.

You can find more info here ---> http://www.stikiller.com/product.php...age=1&featured
thats what i call a smack down lol

do you need any sping or anything for these and also why not go with hks 272 or just hks 280
Old Apr 13, 2007, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

thats what i call a smack down lol

do you need any sping or anything for these and also why not go with hks 272 or just hks 280
No, springs/retainers are not needed for S1's.

Well because they make more power. The HKS 280's you would want to compare with the S2's.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Something else I missed. The comment about running the stock shortblock at XX hp levels and it being reliable....

My opinion at this point in time is the stock shortblock with a correct tune in it is good for 500 whp without any problems. Now, the catch is the RPM. The power does not seem to effect the engine what-so-ever, the RPM is what kills them. The higher the HP level the more you need to watch what you are trying to rev the engine to. I'd say at 500 whp on our dyno 8,000 rpm is pushing the high end of the RPM scale.

I can say without a doubt that 500 whp on our dyno has been done on the stock shortblock quite a few times at this point. Daily drivers that have had no problems at all. We just had a car in here we did rods/pistons in with about 50,0000 miles on it. The engine was gorgeous inside when we took it apart.

I have not had ONE single failure that can be linked to a HP level problem. I've seen rods break but feel it is more from RPM than anything else.

The comment about RPM's killing con rods is a correct statement. Piston acceleration multiplies substantially as RPM's increase past stock rev limiter. The g forces are astronomical and multiply many times per ever 500rpm past 7600rpm. Power is not the only limiting factor on the 4G63, or any other boosted engine. RPM's play a very large roll in how far the stock rods can go.

"For instance, this is a Honda K20A(for example only):

Piston acceleration at TDC for K20A @ 8400 rpm = 4300 G's
Piston acceleration at TDC for K20A @ 9500 rpm = 5600 G's"

This post can be seen at https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...9&postcount=17

This is obviously for a Honda K20A engine, a square engine with a rod ratio that permits high revs (9000rpm). I don't have hard numbers on the 4G63 with regards to piston acceleration, but i would be willing to say it is faster at high revs than the K20A.

CJ
Old Apr 13, 2007, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BBYBruno
No, springs/retainers are not needed for S1's.

Well because they make more power. The HKS 280's you would want to compare with the S2's.
read my thread in the gsc forum. greg left some good advice in there.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=250389
Old Apr 13, 2007, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Something else I missed. The comment about running the stock shortblock at XX hp levels and it being reliable....

My opinion at this point in time is the stock shortblock with a correct tune in it is good for 500 whp without any problems. Now, the catch is the RPM. The power does not seem to effect the engine what-so-ever, the RPM is what kills them. The higher the HP level the more you need to watch what you are trying to rev the engine to. I'd say at 500 whp on our dyno 8,000 rpm is pushing the high end of the RPM scale.

I can say without a doubt that 500 whp on our dyno has been done on the stock shortblock quite a few times at this point. Daily drivers that have had no problems at all. We just had a car in here we did rods/pistons in with about 50,0000 miles on it. The engine was gorgeous inside when we took it apart.

I have not had ONE single failure that can be linked to a HP level problem. I've seen rods break but feel it is more from RPM than anything else.

Damn dave you need to get into the UK market somehow. Here they say you need a full engine rebuild for anything over 370 CRANK HP!!!!! They look at me like I am crazy when I mention what kind of power you are pushing!
On a side note, what about the Hydra EMS? Seems like it offers quite alot for the money.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

awesome #'s dave. this is the same setup i'm planning on going with soon. next month you should see my car just can't get there soon enough
Old Apr 13, 2007, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

What is the recommended maximum RPM for a stock block with 500 HP?

Last edited by supersupra; Apr 13, 2007 at 11:48 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 03:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by supersupra
What is the recommended maximum RPM for a stock block with 500 HP?
I think the max you can go is 7500 RPM.....
And from what i have seen and heard is that its the stock Rods failure that causes most of the problems while reving high.......
The stock rods are way too thin as i saw mine today....
Old Apr 14, 2007, 04:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
give me a call when ya can got to ask ya somthing
alright
Old Apr 14, 2007, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo_7
I think the max you can go is 7500 RPM.....
And from what i have seen and heard is that its the stock Rods failure that causes most of the problems while reving high.......
The stock rods are way too thin as i saw mine today....
I would think the max would be like 7800 for longevity, thats where most people are with a flash. I know evodave was spinning up to 8500rpms on his stock block with an aem but thats not recomended for long engine life on stock internals!
Old Apr 14, 2007, 07:21 AM

another heavy hitter

My current set up:

264 HKS cams in/ex
Stock motor & head
BR 65mm TB and ported intake manifold
Greddy intercooler and pipping
HKS SSQBOV
WORKS O2 housing
WORKS 76mm downpipe
test pipe
Greddy evo2 catback
HKS DLI
APEXI super ground kit
HKS Mas pipe
JESTR Tuned on 100 octane unleaded pump gas
30psi peak falling to 27-28 psi
Attached Thumbnails Stock shortblock, stock head, new record numbers for the EVO Green turbo-450whp-450wtq-chart-2.jpg  
Old Apr 14, 2007, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

<Insert Borat voice>

Very Nice!

High Five!

Quick Reply: Stock shortblock, stock head, new record numbers for the EVO Green turbo