Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stock shortblock, stock head, new record numbers for the EVO Green turbo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2007, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock intake manifold?
what type of exhaust manifold? stock ported and coated or full-race?
also any weight reduction done to the car?

ask bobby if he wouldnt mind you posting his full modlist.

congrats on the amazing numbers.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I've put a green on a stroker, with smaller cams it worked good, with BF272 cams it did not work well at all. Too small for a stroker AND BIG cams.

The car is an EVO8.

It makes great power because he listens to what we tell him........you can buy crap or you can buy good parts. You can listen to guys who do this for a living and get what they suggest or you can listen to some keyboard expert and make crap for power.

The cams are HKS 272's. The exhaust is not ours. Not sure what it is, all 3" nice looking design, no reducers etc.

He is an excellent driver, has to be one of the fastest shifters I have ever seen.

The car would suck with a reflash. I've already said if you upgrade the turbo, you need to upgrade fuel management...........that's my opinion, valued by some and spit on by others.

How would it suck? that statement doesnt make any sense to me. I've seen a lot of FPgreen powered cars making great numbers on the stock ECU.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

I've put a green on a stroker, with smaller cams it worked good, with BF272 cams it did not work well at all. Too small for a stroker AND BIG cams.

The car is an EVO8.

It makes great power because he listens to what we tell him........you can buy crap or you can buy good parts. You can listen to guys who do this for a living and get what they suggest or you can listen to some keyboard expert and make crap for power.

The cams are HKS 272's. The exhaust is not ours. Not sure what it is, all 3" nice looking design, no reducers etc.

He is an excellent driver, has to be one of the fastest shifters I have ever seen.

The car would suck with a reflash. I've already said if you upgrade the turbo, you need to upgrade fuel management...........that's my opinion, valued by some and spit on by others.

you did say a while back you garrentee 20 or 40 whp if you installed an aem or somthing, I'm trying to find the quote . . . I'm still looking for your 50-trim #s and hope that you can hit over 460whp on your dyno with it

Kudos to both of you for 1. that power w/ the green and 2. the timeslip with the 20g-9-5
Old Apr 11, 2007, 03:20 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
of the fastest shifters I have ever seen.

Good work Dave.

I respectfully disagree on the need for the EMS though. To each his own however.

Good luck this season.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn 42 hp and 430 tq?! thats a little hp but a crapload of TQ, haha
Old Apr 11, 2007, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i am going to have to disagree with the aftermarket engine management statement as well. Granted, you can get better resolution from the AEM EMS, and going to a speed/density set-up deffinatly has it's advantages, but to say it would suck on the stock ECU is a exageration. With my experience, there would only be about a 20-25whp difference between the two at power levels over 500WHP. This would mainly be because of the deletion of the MAF sensor and it's restrictions, not because the aftermarket standalone can control fuel and ignition timing any easier/faster/better, with the small exception of a higher resolution.

CJ
Old Apr 11, 2007, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Awesome power. That torque is instant and insane.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
The car has our ported intake manifold on it and our 65 mm throttle body. Our ported exhaust manifold, Green and the SS 02 housing.

For those of you not agreeing with me on the fuel management, that's all well and good. Please bring your laptop and a car to our shop and prove me wrong, I would actually be willing to pay one of you to show me the trick to making the power with the stock ECU, I'd publically admit I am an idiot and pay you for your time.

Until then, since we continue to set the records.....................

I am serious about my offer though.

BTW, few weeks ago we had a car in and the owner kept going back and forth from AEM to stock ECU. He brought the car in with the MAF sensor in with the car running the AEM speed density. I asked WTF the deal was with that. He said the same thing some of you are, MAF is no restriction. I said otherwise. Car was making around 340 whp. I took the MAF off, put on a cone filter, no other changes, instant 10 whp. Talk to someone who doesn't test things, I know different.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

The car has our ported intake manifold on it and our 65 mm throttle body. Our ported exhaust manifold, Green and the SS 02 housing.

For those of you not agreeing with me on the fuel management, that's all well and good. Please bring your laptop and a car to our shop and prove me wrong, I would actually be willing to pay one of you to show me the trick to making the power with the stock ECU, I'd publically admit I am an idiot and pay you for your time.

Until then, since we continue to set the records.....................

I am serious about my offer though.

BTW, few weeks ago we had a car in and the owner kept going back and forth from AEM to stock ECU. He brought the car in with the MAF sensor in with the car running the AEM speed density. I asked WTF the deal was with that. He said the same thing some of you are, MAF is no restriction. I said otherwise. Car was making around 340 whp. I took the MAF off, put on a cone filter, no other changes, instant 10 whp. Talk to someone who doesn't test things, I know different.

Isn't that what the tuners just said though, it's not in the tuning abilitly of aem, it's the restriction the maf has . . . deleting that is your gain in hp which allows for a slightly different tune with more air coming in = more power . . .instant 10whp but up to about 25whp as stated by the ttp guy.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

If you ran a blow-through, w/ flashed ecu would that be capable of increased power, equivelant to aem w/o the maf ?

That's the ultimate tuner challange right there!!
Old Apr 11, 2007, 05:46 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Good work Dave.

I respectfully disagree on the need for the EMS though. To each his own however.

Good luck this season.
I respectfully double disagree back to you.

The bottom line reality is that there is NO WAY to duplicate the power potential of a true stand alone ecu with a stock ecu.

Each devise has its own advantages and disadvantages.

There is no doubt that for peak raw power production the stand alone has the ability to push the envelope further than the stock ecu.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 05:47 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Duby
If you ran a blow-through, w/ flashed ecu would that be capable of increased power, equivelant to aem w/o the maf ?

That's the ultimate tuner challange right there!!
Only issue is that the stock ecu still wont have the functions and exact control of the aem
Old Apr 11, 2007, 05:51 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by iTune
i am going to have to disagree with the aftermarket engine management statement as well. Granted, you can get better resolution from the AEM EMS, and going to a speed/density set-up deffinatly has it's advantages, but to say it would suck on the stock ECU is a exageration. With my experience, there would only be about a 20-25whp difference between the two at power levels over 500WHP. This would mainly be because of the deletion of the MAF sensor and it's restrictions, not because the aftermarket standalone can control fuel and ignition timing any easier/faster/better, with the small exception of a higher resolution.

CJ
You are totally wrong

The AEM sets the timing exactly where the end user wants

The stock ecu pulls timing on the ocurence of a whole range of variables - resulting in lost power

Its always funny to see so called 'experts' who state opinions as facts without any data or proof of their claims

As Mr. Buschur has suggested - he (and I) have obvserved this on the dyno - over and over - too many times to count
Old Apr 11, 2007, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

I'm no pro (that's why I take my car toDavid Buschur) but isn't the stock ecu knock sensor a definite limiting factor as far as power production goes?

High power = high amounts of engine noise that may be interpretted by the stock knock sensor as knock.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I see you stopped working on yours and everyone else's cars long enough to hit the internet again Al haha

Thanks for the support on my statements.

As you know Al, I haven't tuned or built many cars in the last 18 years of doing these 4g63's, what the hell do I know? haha

Quick Reply: Stock shortblock, stock head, new record numbers for the EVO Green turbo