Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch problems on new Evo IX SE

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2007, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CPA5
There is a definite difference between a notchy shifter and grinding....

my IX has been grinding from day 1

1 to 2 unless ultra slow or pause usually leads to an aweful sounding and feeling grind....like Its warping metal on metal.

from 2 to 3 its same just not as bad....

Unless I'm really carefully....angling my wrist just right for the 1 to 2 then it does it....

THe only time I don't get a grind is either when granny shifting....but always have it when going into 3rd no matter....or when I'm rippin' thru the gears like a mad man....the faster I push it and the harder I yank the shifter the smoother it is.

Also, I've noticed the thing shifts just fine when the car is not moving....like stopped at light and rowing thru the gears and it feels normal...

I think this is complete crap....I would take it to the dealer...but I'm afraid those bastiches will ruin the car while out 'JOY RIDING' (testing)

Well I hate to say it but I'm really glad I'm not the only one, every one of your post sounds just like the way my car is shifting, as I stated when I started this thread It's not a grinding like was mentioned above, we all no the difference. However, all the words used in the post like notchy, sticky, or just plain hard to shift, and having to granny shift or angle your wrist is something we shouldn't have to do, and it is just plain annoying.

We all paid a pretty penny for these cars and I think they should shift better than my girlfriends car. But then again her car is only making around 90whp. And it sucks to know that even a short shifter will not solve this problem, and the dealer is not going to help any of us on a clutch related issue, because they assume we do what we all pretty much do to the cars, and they automatically think that anything clutch related is from us driving the car hard, and sometimes it is true, but like I said my car is brand new and I've had this problem since I drove off the lot.

I guess were SOL, and I guess if it doesn't effect the performance I can't complain that much, I'm just worried that this small, notchy, vibration, griding, rubbing, or whatever the hell it is doesn't snowball into a bigger problem down the line that will cost me out of pocket. I guess only time will tell.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

Having the EXACT same problem and feeling the same way
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Mine grinds from 2nd to 3rd if i shift slow but when i shift pretty fast it dosent grind.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 01:43 PM

So one person on this thread has upgraded there clutch, another has a short shifter set-up, I wonder if a lightweight flywheel will help.... With the clutch problem......of course it will help performance.