Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch problems on new Evo IX SE

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2007, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch problems on new Evo IX SE

Okay, so I bought a brand new Evo IX special Edition. It's a 5speed, it has BBS rims, Yokahoma tires, and a aluminum roof like the MR. Anyway, this thing had 30miles on it when it bought it two months ago. Right away I noticed a sort of grinding ( not the grinding that you hear when you shift into a wrong gear, that's unmistakeable) but more like a rubbing noise when I shift into 2nd but mostly 3rd gear. It will only do it when I'm moving if I'm at a light I can go through the gears just fine, and if I shift slowly without much force it will usually shift fine. I took it up to the dealer and the tech drove it for about 30 seconds and was convinced there wasn't a problem saying it was probably the clutch breaking in.

Anyway that's a bunch of crap, because 2,000 miles later and it's still rubbing against something when I shift into third. It's hard to describe, the clutch is not slipping at all and the car drives great, but this is getting annoying, because there is obviously a problem, because my WRX, and GSX didn't shift like this and the GSX had 137,000 miles on it. It basically feels like something that is spinning rubs slightly when shifting into 3rd, could it be the flywheel, or shift cables, does anyone else have any shifting problems with their EV0 IX?? Any suggestions would be very helpfull when i call the dealer to schedule another appointment.

BTW When I grab the shifter real low like on the leather "boot" it seems to shift better, but if I shift from the very top like when I use the shift knob, it rubs every time. Should I get a short throw shifter??
Old Apr 13, 2007, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Is it grinding/notching feeling when you change gears, also does this happen once the car has been fully warmed up?

Most evos are pretty notchy and mine was until 5k.

No harm in going to the dealer and trying to get it fixed under your warranty if your stock.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I've got almost 7k on mine and its still notchy.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude, I have the same car as you and very similar observation. Going from 2nd to 3rd, you do feel some soft grind. But, I think this is very common for IX's. It's gotten a little better over time, I have 8k miles. It's really more of annoyance for me. My VIII did'nt have this issue.

Even after short shifter, poly mounting and shifter cable metal bushings I'm still feeling this. Hopefully, it'll get better over time. Your dealer can't help you...GL.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

My RS feels the same way when I shift. It feels like a lack of lube at the base of the shifter. It makes a weird low freqency squeak when I got into 2nd gear and sometimes 3rd. I can feel it through the shift shaft when I change gears. BTW under 10K miles on my car.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

I noticed a similar problem with mine, only it's not really 'grinding'. When I shift from second to third, sometimes I hear and feel a 'clunk' like i hit a metal backstop or something. It's weird because it happens even if i shift softly, with the car warmed up, and even after i installed my short shifter. I've just gotten used to it i guess... As far as the notchy feeling goes, I used to think my WRX was really notchy. My IX definetly takes the cake. It's all worth it though.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

maybe change out the tranny fluid, it might help...
Old Apr 13, 2007, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

I have the same problem w/ my Evo IX 5 speed since it was new - now 11k on it and not much better. Most notchy from 1st to 2nd; fine from 2nd to 3rd; notchy from 3rd to 4th.

I had my tranny fluid changed out to BG Synchroshift II. Seemed to help a little, but still have the notchiness. Looking back, I would not have changed it.

Always seems to get progressively better as the car warms up. I have been told that the notchy feeling is caused by the synchros; I usually feel it coming from the base of the shifter's shaft.

Also, when the car is still cold and shifting is especially hard, an easy way to remedy this is to pause briefly when you're halfway between gears... (i.e. 1st to 2nd gear change - counting aloud - instead of "one - two", you would shift like "one - and - two", where the 'and' would the neutral area between 1st and 2nd).

Hope this helps...
Old Apr 13, 2007, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

mostly normal on evos but there is a difference btw notchiness and grinding...youll know when you grind it
Old Apr 13, 2007, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

My 6spd IX has a notchy 5th gear. It pisses me off, but after reading this thread, i guess im one of the luckey few...
Old Apr 14, 2007, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

well my IX (5spd) takes every gear nicely, yes a little notchy sometimes 2-3 however, when going from 4th to 5th UNLESS i put the stick on neutral for a sec before pushing it into 5th i get a little grind... could my syncro have gone bad? car has 11K , and I remeber this happening since I bought it but had progressively gotten worse specially since I put the BM short shifter. I just the stock shifter back on and its the same.. what do you guys think
Old Apr 14, 2007, 07:11 PM

mine does it going to 3rd, when it's cold.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

I read an old thread about this. It should go away the more miles you rack up..it's normal on the IX's...Mine does it too since it crunches when I put her in 2nd and 3rd.. It's probably the syncro's breaking in
Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Not Nothcy...GRINDING

There is a definite difference between a notchy shifter and grinding....

my IX has been grinding from day 1

1 to 2 unless ultra slow or pause usually leads to an aweful sounding and feeling grind....like Its warping metal on metal.

from 2 to 3 its same just not as bad....

Unless I'm really carefully....angling my wrist just right for the 1 to 2 then it does it....

THe only time I don't get a grind is either when granny shifting....but always have it when going into 3rd no matter....or when I'm rippin' thru the gears like a mad man....the faster I push it and the harder I yank the shifter the smoother it is.

Also, I've noticed the thing shifts just fine when the car is not moving....like stopped at light and rowing thru the gears and it feels normal...

I think this is complete crap....I would take it to the dealer...but I'm afraid those bastiches will ruin the car while out 'JOY RIDING' (testing)
Old Apr 16, 2007, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

^^ I have had the 5th gear grind from day one, and it really is annoying. I do believe like i have been told that this is the worst car for clutches, and they go through clutches like crazy. ON rant: Well i have 7800 on my IX and guess what, clutch is about ready to go......when i floor it, rpms spike. So looks like ive got to save up more money i dont have to replace the clutch, its not going to be cheap. I guess there is a saying, "you gotta pay to play" well yes true, but maybe mitsu should be informed on this. Well they have been.....I already wrote mitsu of america about this, and all they gave me was some pamphlet on complaints.....Yeah, looks like they are real concerned. OFF rant.

Quick Reply: Clutch problems on new Evo IX SE