Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help me understand why my MBC does not function properly

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2007, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd add 1/2 turn more at first, see how you like it, and then another 1/2 turn if not satisfied, for a total of one full additional turn at most. This will leave you at from 3 1/2-4 turns.

20# by 3900 RPM on an EvoGreen is pretty good spoolup. I used to see 19# by 3200-3400 on my TME 10.5 with HKS 280/272's, but that was with camgears advanced to +2/0 and really leaned out fueling. So, 20# by 3900 RPM with a Green and cams @ 0/0, is pretty good, if you think about it.

If you want your turbo to hit any sooner, then you may wanna look elsewhere: Camgears are frowned on by some, but it is undeniable that certain cam settings will have a huge impact on turbo spoolup. You could have one, "fast-spool" cam gear setting, for the street(+2/0, or +1/-1), and then just readjust the cams when you get to the track to optimize top-end power.

Although, there are tradeoffs, the BOV/DV should be set as stiff as possible if you really want to maximize spoolup. I am not happy with my current MR DV as it starts to lift off the seat at 11 psi, so you may wanna verify yours. I am not refering to when it fully opens at 24#, but that the valve starts to partially vent much sooner, thus slowing spoolup, at significantly lower pressures.

Last edited by sparky; May 4, 2007 at 06:33 AM.
Old May 4, 2007, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmm weird - with red spring 2 shrims, my froge bov flutter a bit but its not when hitting 5k + i think i just leave it as it is, i know its not healthy for the turbo. Maybe i should go with blue spring 2 shrims.
Old May 4, 2007, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justchil
BLING BLING. I don't know where in the process it got switch but we're back in biz now.

It's raining really hard and with the falkens it likes to break loose even in 3rd gear.. but it looked like I was holding 23-24 around 7k.

I can't believe nobody mentioned this and or I didn't think of it. Well actually I thought of it but just laughed it off and never tried it a few days ago.

Moral to this story is I'm an idiot.. I don't mind being one as long as the car is good to go I did learn a lot during the process and fixed a few things along they way.

Sorry to Forge for dissing their products so much... I was frustrated.
So you had the lines backwards? Without instructions on that thing I resorted to tagging the mbc with tape with "turbo" & "wga" on the ends so I could get it back together properly! I feel your pain there!
Old May 4, 2007, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
I'd add 1/2 turn more at first, see how you like it, and then another 1/2 turn if not satisfied, for a total of one full additional turn at most. This will leave you at from 3 1/2-4 turns.

20# by 3900 RPM on an EvoGreen is pretty good spoolup. I used to see 19# by 3200-3400 on my TME 10.5 with HKS 280/272's, but that was with camgears advanced to +2/0 and really leaned out fueling. So, 20# by 3900 RPM with a Green and cams @ 0/0, is pretty good, if you think about it.

If you want your turbo to hit any sooner, then you may wanna look elsewhere: Camgears are frowned on by some, but it is undeniable that certain cam settings will have a huge impact on turbo spoolup. You could have one, "fast-spool" cam gear setting, for the street(+2/0, or +1/-1), and then just readjust the cams when you get to the track to optimize top-end power.

Although, there are tradeoffs, the BOV/DV should be set as stiff as possible if you really want to maximize spoolup. I am not happy with my current MR DV as it starts to lift off the seat at 11 psi, so you may wanna verify yours. I am not refering to when it fully opens at 24#, but that the valve starts to partially vent much sooner, thus slowing spoolup, at significantly lower pressures.
I'm happy with how it spools now... I just wasn't happy with the boost it wasn't holding (with the mbc backwards) lol. I'm looking for top end power (264/264 cams buh).

I'd still like to try the red spring with both shims and another 1/2-1 turn on the wga. I don't need any quicker spool tho... Just looking to get the best setup for a 1/4 track event monday
Old May 5, 2007, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Car is finally ready to tune. I'm having some issues with red spring both shims tho. I can manage to drive the car but when I pull the car out of gear to coast it goes rich and stumbles a little bit. Is there something I can do to prevent this other than having to drive the car a certain way?