Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

11.5lb Mini Battery for $60

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2009, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by voodooutt
I've had no luck with this type of battery. Well, its the Braille badged battery to be exact.

Last April I rec'd a Braille no-weight battery from a reputable vendor. It was DOA. Local batteries plus told me "dead cell". I returned that one and was sent a new one. The new one worked all last summer w/o a hitch.

I don't drive my car in winter. I park my car in my garage and unhook the Braille and take it into my house (65~72F). It sat in my closet all winter. I took it out and hooked it up to my car the past Sunday. It was totally dead. Did not even take a charge. Its fry'd. No warranty either. been over a year by a friggin WEEK GrrGGRrr

The Braille are not cheap. I was a little fumed that I take simple measures to take care of this battery and it still dies on me

If I were to buy the above mentioned for $62 shipped I would not care as much if it died..... so I'm buying one.
This is where things went wrong. That's the improper way to store ANY car battery. A car battery just sitting loses its charge over time,no matter what kind it is,regardless if its connected to anything or not. The difference is in the battery type. Lead-Acid batteries do not rebound from being fully discharged like deep cycle batteries can(Optima Batteries for example). Once you fully discharge a lead-acid battery, its never going to perform at 100% like it did originally, it gets MUCH worse after multiple discharges too. Whenever you are going to remove a car battery for more than a week, you need a Battery Tender Jr. to keep the battery from naturally discharging. Its best to keep the battery indoors in colder climates (ideally between 65*-85*F). If you are going to have the battery out for long periods of time, its best to check on it once a week while connected to the Battery Tender Jr.

Originally Posted by GBEvo
My battery dies every 3 days if the car isn't ran. How many amps at rest is the Evo supposed to be drawing. Is this typical with this batter rated at 12aH to die every 3 days?
You need to do a current draw test so we have some numbers to work with. This LINK is a basic rundown on how to test it. Be sure to move the leads on your meter to the proper ports before testing AMPS. Most meters require you to change the leads around for current measuring. Use the highest current rating that the meter will measure first and then work your way down. Most meters have built-in fuses that will blow if you draw too much current on the wrong setting so its best to start high and work your way down.

Another thing to test is for any voltage drop between your car battery and the starter. Here is a good page to describe how to test voltage drop between the battery and the starter:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/voltage_drop_testing.htm

You want all of the power actually getting to the starter. With such a small battery, don't make it work harder than it needs to.

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Sep 22, 2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 02:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well said.

With such a small battery, don't make it work harder than it needs to
Old Oct 1, 2009, 02:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
interesting. i'll take a look at this thrad later. but seems like the Deka is holding up well
Old Dec 3, 2009, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So how long does a small battery like this last? Will it turn in negative degree Chicago winter? I think my stock IX battery is about to go soon.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 02:51 AM
Evolved Member

Considering I did this battery swap last year around February during the coldest months where I live, and it's still going strong on an every other day basis, I'd say a decent length of time. It's getting pretty cold again by me and I still haven't gotten any type of hesitation during turnover.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

^ good to know. Thanks
Old Dec 4, 2009, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I have been using walmart lawmower batteries in two cars for several years now. they weigh 14lbs are like 25$. they consistently last about 1.5 years. then I just go buy a new one. they are 275cc amps.
I also found a new battery that I havent seen anyone use. I will make a new thread about. It is same size as this lawnmower battery but with 475cc amps. Its sealed cell and is a little more expensive at 90$. bit it comes with 3 year free replacement warranty so i want to try it next.

Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Does anyone know what trays fit the Deka14 or Deka20 batteries? Saikou Michi doesn't seem to sell the battery trays anymore. The Muse tray looks like a bargain deal but not sure of quality and fitment with the Deka batteries.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

great thread.

I have a Deka, forget which model but it's very small, in my EVO and have been very happy with it. Recently I let the car sit from the beginning of Oct to the end of Dec and had no problem starting it right up. Previously I was running a PC680 and that lasted me 4 years. Only reason I didn't go with another was because the deka was cheaper and lighter. I'm even using the stock tray with a hold-down from pep-boys. Total cost for the battery and hold-down was less than $70, lol.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Just ordered the etx 20L because of the Chicago cold. Hopefully it gets here before my battery completely goes. Its starting to really crap out now and barely turns.

I'll update once I get it. Thanks to the threads starter and peoples feed back here.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

I have a Deka ETX-14 too and love it. $60 ftw. I also have this mounting hardware from Saikou Michi (red). http://www.saikoumichi.com/evo_etx14_tray.html

Longest I left the car without starting is 6 days. So far so good, 6 months.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

My car really doesn't like the ETX14 when it's cold. I'll be on my third one unless I go larger. I think there may be too much 'draw' from electronics in the car though. I dunno how some of you guys can let your car sit for a week in the winter and crank her up without any issues. After 24 hours, I was taking a gamble. I've been cruising around with the stock battery now without any problems.

As for battery trays, I just used one of the Braille trays and drilled new holes. That Saikoumichi tray looks good too though.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

I'm at the year mark with my deka 11.5 pound beast. My car has never had a start up problem even when it was 3° outside. I jump people all the time . Its sweet.

Butttttttt....... it is a ***** trying to tune my car because I have to turn everything off or else I cannot download maps . Other than that there is nothing like having a battery that weighs 25 lbs less than stock
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wiznaz
My car really doesn't like the ETX14 when it's cold. I'll be on my third one unless I go larger. I think there may be too much 'draw' from electronics in the car though. I dunno how some of you guys can let your car sit for a week in the winter and crank her up without any issues. After 24 hours, I was taking a gamble. I've been cruising around with the stock battery now without any problems.

As for battery trays, I just used one of the Braille trays and drilled new holes. That Saikoumichi tray looks good too though.
You needed to drill new holes cause the battery is wider right? So you drilled and tapped new holes for the posts that tie the battery down? Thanks.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by b16a2delsol
I'm at the year mark with my deka 11.5 pound beast. My car has never had a start up problem even when it was 3° outside. I jump people all the time . Its sweet.

Butttttttt....... it is a ***** trying to tune my car because I have to turn everything off or else I cannot download maps . Other than that there is nothing like having a battery that weighs 25 lbs less than stock
Do you daily drive your car? Do you also use a battery tender?

Quick Reply: 11.5lb Mini Battery for $60