Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

295 hp, 272 tq, 1 bolt on, Mase tuned.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2007, 05:16 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iTune

Think of why we use high octane race fuels. By using a slower burning, less erratic combustion fuel, we can run leaner AFR's and more ignition advance, which results in more power. This also allows us to run more boost safely. Fuels are measured by knock resistance. The higher the octane, the slower more controlled the fuel burns. This raises the detonation threshold of the fuel.
I like VP import because it burns fast . I can't speak as to why you use race fuel but I use it so that I can ward off detonation, not so that I can run more timing. I run race fuel so that I can turn boost up which increases burn rate meaning I have to take timing out. I run the same AFR's on pump and race fuel and I'll choose the one that meets my antiknock and burn rate specifications. It seems to me you are confusing antiknock with burn rate of a fuel.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 05:17 PM

great thread..learned couple of things..
Old Apr 25, 2007, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dan l
I like VP import because it burns fast . I can't speak as to why you use race fuel but I use it so that I can ward off detonation, not so that I can run more timing. I run race fuel so that I can turn boost up which increases burn rate meaning I have to take timing out. I run the same AFR's on pump and race fuel and I'll choose the one that meets my antiknock and burn rate specifications. It seems to me you are confusing antiknock with burn rate of a fuel.

i'm sorry, are you actually saying that higher octane fuels can't have ignition advanced over lower octane fuels? If you are not able to advance timing more on race gas, and are using the fuel to ward off detonation....then you are running too much ignition timing in the first place on pump gas.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mase
you're right 11.3-11.5 is not pig rich, I never said it was. What i will specify is there is no reason running evo's at 11.3. Its still too conservative IMO.
So, by your own admitance, you are agreeing with me Mase? Conservative=safer. therefore, richer=safer.

CJ
Old Apr 25, 2007, 06:13 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by iTune
i'm sorry, are you actually saying that higher octane fuels can't have ignition advanced over lower octane fuels? If you are not able to advance timing more on race gas, and are using the fuel to ward off detonation....then you are running too much ignition timing in the first place on pump gas.
I'm using the fuel to increase detonation threshold to allow more boost (which increases probability of detonation). The timing curve will have to be tailored to the fuel but I want a fuel that releases its energy as quick as possible.