Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Worn stock clutch @ Willow Springs. Replacement....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2007, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worn stock clutch @ Willow Springs. Replacement....

Just came back from Button Willow for a Redline time attack track event. Problem is that my clutch is slipping really bad now! In any gear, clutch won't engage unless throttle unbelievably slowly or if above 5000+ rpms. It is most definitely shot and time for a new one. Only have 13k on the car too

My car is mostly a weekend/track car so daily drive ability is not much of a concern for me. 340awhp/380wtq. This on stock turbo, but I do plan to upgrade to a bolt-on turbo to make anywhere up to 450-500awhp in the not so distant future.

Open to any brands. I don't know too much about clutches, but I hear about pucks, cerametallic, street and race, etc. terminologies being thrown around. Please enlighten me and if anyone can recommend a new clutch to me that be awesome!

Last edited by silex; Apr 29, 2007 at 06:11 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 05:11 AM

Taking into consideration your future power goals, a multi-disc cluthc like the Exedy Twin Plate Clutch Kit might be the way to go. Here's a link to the Exedy website to give you a bit more info: http://www.exedyusa.com/race/MM022HD
Hope this helps and good luck with the car.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Appreciate the info! After thinking about my power goals a bit more, it seems that I might have overestimated them. I'm going with either the FP Green or 50 Trim bolt-on line of turbos. My goal is to build a road racer, that is still streetable if need be, 10 second car. These turbos put probably around 450awhp and equivalent torque to the ground so any clutch that can handle 80-100% over stock torque would probably be a sure bet.

With that said, after doing some searching it seems alot of people love ACT clutches so I have no reason not to look into them a bit further. And now that I know what the costs are around, I would like to spend no more than $700 if possible. This is of course just for the clutch itself. I will probably just have the stock flywheel resurfaced.
Old May 2, 2007, 01:22 AM
Evolved Member

Ended up going with the ACT XTSS and resurfaced stock flywheel. Just need something to get it back it back on the road, but I'm sure it will be a good combo none the less.
Old May 2, 2007, 01:47 AM
Evolved Member

That was definitely a good setup to go with man!! I am definitely considering that one when my stock clutch gives on my 8.
Old May 3, 2007, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

Okay I lied. Ended up going with the ACT XTSS and Fidanza flywheel. I drove 8 hours on a slipping clutch so I don't think my stock flywheel would have made it through that.