Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Review: ACT HDSS + ACT Xact Streelite flywheel

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2007, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just want to say that Dirk and ACT rock why because anytime anyone has question he is always there to help. How many Clutch companies can you contact the CTO and get quick answer? I have seen ACT at MOD 06 and Formula D and they are always very helpful. In fact one of my friends had a problem with his clutch not being installed correctly I told him to talk to ACT guys at MOD 05 and he was able to fix the problem in 10 minutes. If you ever have a problem or any issue I would ask Dirk since they are always there to help. I have the street clucth on my car and love it.
Old May 3, 2007, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ACTman
Proper break in for a street clutch is usually a few hundred miles of normal driving, but as long as you are not going to be abusive to the clutch, you can just get in and drive it normally right away. It is mostly a problem if you are wishing to go directly to the track after installing the clutch which is going to shorten the life of the clutch. What you want to avoid is getting the clutch hot such as drag launches, slipping the clutch under boost, etc, unless the clutch has had enough use to lap it in and get full contact. Of course driving cross country freeway driving is going to do very little to lap the clutch in and it will take longer, but spending your time driving in traffic is going to speed up the process considerably. Once brealk in only affects the clutch when it is slipping, such as going from a stop or betwen gears. There is no reason to baby it.
As long as the clutch is fully engaged, the clutch is ready for WOT, high rpm, or whatever. PM your address and I will send you some goodies.

Awesome. I guess I'm good to go. Thanks for the post!

PM on the way!
Old May 7, 2007, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

Ok... finally passed the 500miles mark... Did not make it to the track cause of a stupid installer mistake(not clutch related), so unfortunately no "at the track" review...

BUT been driving the car harder and the clutch grabs and just performs nicely.

+ Hard acceleration and fast shifting.. no problem. It grabs quick, comparable to my friend's Ralliart HD, and the engagement is great and smooth. It seems to like fast shifting!

+ Pedal seems to be broken in a bit better, so it's softer now, but still feels firm and sure.

+ Heel/toe downshifting... it's just too much fun with the combo. Helps in testing out the bigger rear swaybar too.

Honestly, don't know what else to say except.. Great combo and well worth the price! I doubt I'd need anything more than this for my car, which probably has about 300whp. I do need another dyno run to confirm that statement though.

If anyone has more questions, pm me or post and I'd be happy to answer them.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 07:37 AM
Account Disabled

wuts a proper clutch combo is u want a light pedal (like stock or so) for street and drag for about 420hp
Old Jun 13, 2007, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

good to hear, i to ordered that combo from chris at no limit, and it comes today matter a fact :-)
Old Jun 13, 2007, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

i thought lighter flywheel on a turboed car isnt all that great since rpm drops waaay too quick. and you want some of that weight turning the flywheel and keep the rpm up in the right rpm range.
(for lightly modded evos that is...) 300 to 400hp range.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 01:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by krazy srt4
wuts a proper clutch combo is u want a light pedal (like stock or so) for street and drag for about 420hp
Street use and Drag use have two almost opposite needs so it really depends on what you really need and what you are willing to give up. Let me start with the basics of clutch design. There are four factors that determine the torque capacity of a clutch. They are: clamp load of the pressure plate, coefficient of friction of the material, number of surfaces, and radius of gyration (size). There are tradeoffs and benefits to each one.

Clamp load - A light or stock pedal that you mention comes from having a light or stock diaphragm spring. If you want more clamp load without a heavier spring then a simple change in pressure plate geometry is possible to get a modest increase in clamp load. You get more clamp load but the tradeoffs are that you get more clamp load over a shorter distance (shorter clutch life) and it takes more travel to operate.

Friction: With increased friction comes harsh engagment (chatter). There are few exceptions. So if you are going to hold more power with higher friction it takes some getting used to. Higher friction materials are usually cerametallic (metal/ceramic mix) or feramic (iron).

Number of surfaces: A single disc has two surfaces while a twin had four. Double the surfaces means double the torque capacity if all else remains the same. The tradeoffs are: weight/size of two discs, floater rattle (noise), complexity, and high price.

Radius of gyration: A bigger diameter clutch will have a higher torque capacity (and heat capacity) but this is not practical on the EVO.

Last edited by ACTman; Jun 13, 2007 at 03:36 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bomjoon
i thought lighter flywheel on a turboed car isnt all that great since rpm drops waaay too quick. and you want some of that weight turning the flywheel and keep the rpm up in the right rpm range.
(for lightly modded evos that is...) 300 to 400hp range.

The Xact streetlite is not too much lighter than the stocker flywheel. My revs don't drop that much between shifts and the car generally drives nicer than it was stock. I've got a good amount of mileage on the combo now and I can say that the setup feels much nicer than it was during break-in.

Sweet... ACTman answered the next question I was going to reply to. But of course I don't think my reply would have been that intensive.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

What kind of life do you guys get ouf of this combo?...lets say with minimal dragging..maybe once every few months
Old Jun 14, 2007, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
I've had my ACT HDSS and Gruppe-S flywheel in for a little over 12k miles... still feels flippin' fantastic. Done about 30 or so launches on it with no issues whatsoever. Combo is a bit noisy, but that comes with the territory. Clutch pedal is stiff (feel it much more after driving othr cars) but weak, soft clutches are for girly men.

ACTman, any word on the multi-plate clutch (or am I just that far behind the power curve that I missed it)? I would love to stick with ACT on my next upgrade.