Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Review: ACT HDSS + ACT Xact Streelite flywheel

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2007, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Review: ACT HDSS + ACT Xact Streelite flywheel

Hi all... hopefully this will help a few people who might be interested in this ACT clutch/flywheel combo. Sorry but no pics on the install cause I wasn't there when it was installed, unfortunately.

I got a good 51K miles on the stock clutch/flywheel, with about 10+ road track days in the mix. I don't drag race my Evo and i'm pretty easy on the car in general, probably why the stocker lasted that long. The reason I replaced it was because I was getting some clutch noises during winter and felt it was time.

I looked at the stocker once it was out and saw where it got heated and where the wear spots were. Most likely what caused the noises and stuff. But before it was taken out.. it was not slipping and drove fine. Had a friend test it out for me and he said the same thing.

I got the combo from Chris@nolimitmotorsports and got a damn good deal. Believe me.. I searched, even Ebay.

So far I have about 91miles since last night and my first impression was "wow... nice!" Here's my list for my short term review, will update more later as the miles pile on and after track day on friday.
  • Learning curve = very easy. Didn't stall it when I first got in. First thought was... the stocker should have been like this from the factory.

• Feels almost like stock but firmer pedal pressure and smoother engagement.

• Pedal pressure = "stock plus 1/2" ... Not as heavy as some people say it is. I'm a lazy driver and if the pedal is too heavy for you... then you are a wuss.
    I've driven my friend's 350z and that was a heavy clutch.
    For another comparison... I've also driven a friend's Ralliart HD twin and the pedal pressure on that is very nice and softer, BUT i can't live with the way that clutch chatters and what you need to get it going. imho.

• Pedal feels more "sure" than stock. With the firm pedal, it feels like you know the clutch engaged and it's going. Where the stock feels like there's a bit of a "slack" as to where it engages and such.

• The combo grabs! You need to rev is a bit more than stock to get it going, but once it grabs it goes! It's a bit harder to "slip" than stock but not a bad thing. I usually ease off at the light but once it grabs, I find it easier than stock to drive.

• Car revs nice and smooth with the flywheel. Normal driving...I shift at 4k rpm, it drops to 3k rpms and just revs back up nicely. Did a freeway run at 5th, on the way home, and the rpms just climbed nicely.

• No chatter or anything like that. Comparing it to my friend's Ralliart HD clutch, I keep joking with him that he's breaking his clutch cause of the way the Ralliart sounds when you pull off from the light. But the ACT combo doesn't sound anywhere like the Ralliart HD twin. Different beasts, just using them for comparison.

Well... that's about it for now. Any questions or comments please post. Hopefully I didn't confuse more people with my review or turned them away.
Old May 1, 2007, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

nice review! thanks for taking the time to help out with this...
Old May 1, 2007, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
+1 Good review. It's nice to hear about someone's experience, in detail, with this combo. I sent Chris@nolimitmotorsports a PM about this combo and you're right, his price is unbelievably low. Now I just need to save some money... Let us know how everything goes after breaking it in. Thanks for the info!
Old May 1, 2007, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been running your exact setup for a while and I think its the best option for cars under 500whp. Personally I cant stand the way twin disk setups drive.
Old May 1, 2007, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

I use the same set-up except i have the prolight flywheel. I love it. If i knew then what i know now i would have never used the exedy twin in my 03 8.
Old May 1, 2007, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

I am a big fan of their clutches. I have a 2600 with the street disk in my DSM and I love how you can slip it under big power, but it still grabs when you let off all the way. Nice and easy on the driveline under hard launches. I am about to order up that same combo from Chris, the price is right. The streetlite flywheel looks like it would be a lot less prone to warping than some other lightened flywheels.
Old May 1, 2007, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
nolimitmotorsports rocks to deal with as well!
Old May 1, 2007, 01:00 PM

very assuring, only thing is I bought the six puck do you think it will be as nice?
Old May 1, 2007, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Glad to have help with this review.

As for other ACT clutches, I'm not sure what is better for what kind of driving. But maybe others might chime in.

My car, with my mods, probably has around 300whp(based on my old dynojet numbers then add some better tuning), so this particular combo suits me perfectly cause I doubt I'll be upgrading the stock turbo anytime soon. Also, I don't drag race the car... so maybe the drag racers can post their experience for comparison.
Old May 1, 2007, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm wondering if I should have done a lightweight flywheel when I was upgrading my clutch? I'm running the ACT MB7-XTSS clutch on the stock flywheel now.
Old May 2, 2007, 08:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Wow, thanks for the great review!
Old May 3, 2007, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ACTman
Wow, thanks for the great review!

Hi Dirk, no problem.

btw... please add to the thread if you would. Some questions were posted, but no idea on the answers.

I actually have one myself... didn't get to read the instruction manual.

What's the proper mileage for break-in for the combo?

I'm about to hit 300 miles with various daily driving manouvers... but no launching. Am I close?

oh... could you send me some decals?? I think mine went out with the box.

Last edited by rsboy; May 3, 2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old May 3, 2007, 11:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad to hear your happy, thanks again for your order
Old May 3, 2007, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
I'm running the HDSS with a Gruppe-S flywheel... love the combo. The clutch is awesome... nice heavier-than-stock pedal pressure (soft clutches are for sissies), grabs nice, easy to drive. My next clutch will most likely be the Xtreme with an ACT flywheel.

I also had the 2600 and a Streetlite flywheel on my DSM... over 30K on it with no problems and plenty of racing.
Old May 3, 2007, 11:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by rsboy
Hi Dirk, no problem. btw... please add to the thread if you would. Some questions were posted, but no idea on the answers.
I actually have one myself... didn't get to read the instruction manual.
What's the proper mileage for break-in for the combo? I'm about to hit 300 miles with various daily driving manouvers... but no launching. Am I close? oh... could you send me some decals?? I think mine went out with the box.
Proper break in for a street clutch is usually a few hundred miles of normal driving, but as long as you are not going to be abusive to the clutch, you can just get in and drive it normally right away. It is mostly a problem if you are wishing to go directly to the track after installing the clutch which is going to shorten the life of the clutch. What you want to avoid is getting the clutch hot such as drag launches, slipping the clutch under boost, etc, unless the clutch has had enough use to lap it in and get full contact. Of course driving cross country freeway driving is going to do very little to lap the clutch in and it will take longer, but spending your time driving in traffic is going to speed up the process considerably. Once brealk in only affects the clutch when it is slipping, such as going from a stop or betwen gears. There is no reason to baby it.
As long as the clutch is fully engaged, the clutch is ready for WOT, high rpm, or whatever. PM your address and I will send you some goodies.

Quick Reply: Review: ACT HDSS + ACT Xact Streelite flywheel