Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Crank case evacuation pump

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2007, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crank case evacuation pump

This is somewhat along the lines of the PCV theory and catch can thread, but by a much different means and has many added gains. Here is a great article to get the thread going:

http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/vacuum-pumps.html

Basically, a belt driven pump is used to create a vacuum in your crankcase instead of the PCV system. The advantages are that it will make sure there is no positive pressure in the crankcase and you can then run a catch can without having to route it back to the intake manifold or intake inlet before the turbo. Creating vacuum in the crankcase also frees up a lot of horsepower. Other benefits include the fact that you will no longer have oil leaks from your engine as there will no longer be positive pressure.

Larger displacement engines are seeing gains of 30-40hp and typically the pump only takes about 1 horsepower to drive. This idea has been around for quite a while and there are many manufacturers that make pumps.

I haven't seen any threads with anyone running one of these, but I plan to install one fairly soon. The only difficulty is in making a new bracket to mount the pump where my A/C used to be and then make a block off plate for the intake manifold where the PCV routes to.