Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

catback and testpipe delete??

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2007 | 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

catback and testpipe delete??

well my first autocross is coming up soon and i want to cut as much weight off as possible. i have an ams tbe with a testpipe and was wondering if it would be safe to take off the testpipe and the catback and just put on a small little pipe that will point the exhaust gasses to the ground? would that melt anything under the car/ heat up too much and damage anything?? thanks for the info
Old May 3, 2007 | 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

uh... i get the feeling they may not pass you for tech. there's often a max sound level you can have.

Also, if this is your first auto-x, it doesn't matter what you're driving, you're still going to get owned and badly.
Old May 3, 2007 | 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

yep i got owned by a lot of cars i thought i would beat and i had some mods done to mine you should even add some wheight on your first runs, that is human weight lol someone that can give you some pointers on whats right and whats wrong, with this i was able to drop from 30s to 26s on the course
Old May 3, 2007 | 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by spdracerut
uh... i get the feeling they may not pass you for tech. there's often a max sound level you can have.

Also, if this is your first auto-x, it doesn't matter what you're driving, you're still going to get owned and badly.
Ditto this. You've got a long way to go before you're going to be worried about shedding 20-someodd lbs off the rear end. Besides which, you're going to be distracted by the god awful noise under you to the point where you're not going to learn anything. Forget it.

Make sure you have enough air in your tires, no leaky fluids and a helmet. Pay attention to any other all wheel drivers on the course during their runs... and have fun!
Old May 4, 2007 | 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

this isnt my first autocross, it is the first one of the year. i autocrossed all last year and did pretty well and now since i modded my car a lot over the winter am bumped into sm and i want to be competitive. there are no noise restrictions in my region and i know some of the guys with rx8's do this so does anyone know if it will cause any damage on my car if i did it?? thanks
Old May 4, 2007 | 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

bump i want this info by tomorrow night thanks
Old May 6, 2007 | 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

Since it's turbo it seems like just taking off the rest after the downpipe would be beinficial..
Old May 7, 2007 | 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

A lot of people run open down pipes, Same thing as a cutout almost. It will not hurt the car if that is what you are asking.
Old May 7, 2007 | 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

If you put a 90 degree turndown on the DP flange, itīll be pretty loud as the soundwaves kinda bounce off the pavement and actually get louder than if they just come straight out the DP. I tried this on another car and itīs loud.
Old May 7, 2007 | 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

so if i were to just take off the pipes and not put a 90 degree turn down i would be fine??
Old May 7, 2007 | 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evobeatsti
so if i were to just take off the pipes and not put a 90 degree turn down i would be fine??

you will be fine