Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Low boosting problem..

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2007, 11:01 AM
adx
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steevo
I heard of some early IX's spiking 17psi stock. You may have to get a MBC to boost more if you've checked everything else.
A friend and I dyno'd our cars stock: His is a 9 MR, mine an 05 8.

Even though we dyno'd very closely (mine 252/268, his 253/254) he was spiking at a whooping 16.75psi, tapering to 14ish. I was at 17.50, tapering to 15. Our elevation does take its toll though (5200ft+). This was on a Superflow Dyno corrected.

Oddly, both boost gauges, in both cars, read high.
Old May 21, 2007, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i actually have the same problem and cant findout wuts wrng...im only boosting to .9 barr
Old May 21, 2007, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Blip

Last edited by sparky; May 21, 2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old May 21, 2007, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cij911
Please DO NOT touch your rod as you will only cause problems.
Naughty lad!
Old May 21, 2007, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Blip

Last edited by sparky; May 21, 2007 at 08:22 PM.
Old May 21, 2007, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

[quote=cij911;4322602]OK I don't want to be mean, but ... you are in essence recommending for folks to do on stock WG: shorten the WG rod that opens the WG.

The "WG rod that opens the WG", is actually known as an actuator rod, not a WG rod.

Furthermore, as you surely know, it doesn't "open the WG", but quite the opposite, it keeps the flapper valve closed, until the pressure inside the wastegate bypass port exceeds the preload pressure holding the flapper valve shut.

What this does is change how much air passes over the turbine blades and will cause boost creep / over boosting.

It would only cause creep if the flapper valve were not to fully open and if the wastegate bypass port couldn't handle the bypass flow volume.

The issue with the stock WG is the SPRING, not the ROD length. When someone is running high boost an aftermarket WGA is the way to go, not screwing up the leverage with the stock WG.[/quote]

Who told you that this is.... "the issue"? Did you read it on the Advanced Forum?What in your opinion is the max level of preload which the stock WGA can handle before encountering bind. At what point exactly does one need to upgrade to a heavy-duty actuator? Finally, from your perspective, cij911, why does the stock actuator rod come pre-threaded and fitted with an adjustable turnbuckle from the factory, if, as you insist, it is not meant to be adjusted?

Last edited by sparky; May 22, 2007 at 05:08 AM.
Old May 22, 2007, 03:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=sparky;4354789]
OK I don't want to be mean, but ... you are in essence recommending for folks to do on stock WG: shorten the WG rod that opens the WG.

The "WG rod that opens the WG", is actually known as an actuator rod, not a WG rod.

Furthermore, as you surely know, it doesn't "open the WG", but quite the opposite, it keeps the flapper valve closed, until the pressure inside the wastegate bypass port exceeds the preload pressure holding the flapper valve shut.

What this does is change how much air passes over the turbine blades and will cause boost creep / over boosting

It would only cause creep if the flapper valve were not to fully open and if the wastegate bypass port couldn't handle the bypass flow volume.

The issue with the stock WG is the SPRING, not the ROD length. When someone is running high boost an aftermarket WGA is the way to go, not screwing up the leverage with the stock WG.[/quote]

Who told you that this is "the issue"? Did you read this on the Advanced Forum?What in your learned opinion is the max level of preload which the stock WGA can handle before encountering bind. At what point exactly does one need to upgrade to a heavy-duty actuator? Finally, from the engineer's informed perspective, why does the stock actuator rod come threaded with an adjustable turnbuckle from the factory, if, as you propose, it is not meant to be adjusted?
Enough ...Shortening the rod will cause boost creep issues as the WG will not fully open...Your recommendations is 100% wrong and I am not going to get into a cyper pissing match...To your 'engineer' friend -- the threading is used for adjustments and for most applications it would be best to run the setup as it came from the factory (fully extended)...

To the OP -- If you want some help PM me your phone number and I will try to help you out.