Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Low boosting problem..

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2007, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low boosting problem..

My question is that I have an 06' Evo IX I bought a Forge recirc. BOV and yesterday I did a boost leak test to find my boost problem. Reason being is that my car boosts to 15psi and thats it.. So last night I put my stock 9 BOV back on and still only boost to 15lbs. Although throttle responce improved and power feels stronger there is still a problem. I have an autometer boost gauge which is not the best, but not the ****iest. My gauge reads to 30psi. and I am only hitting 15lbs. of boost. I doubt that it can be off 4psi. Right or wrong and IX from the factory should spike @ 19psi and tapper to 16psi correct? Other than that I have a 3" catback system and a blitz cone filter. Please let me know if there are other areas to check, or did I just get robbed from the factory?
Old May 11, 2007, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check for leaks again, what did you take of that would be pressurized. Tighten everything down that you touched and try again
Old May 11, 2007, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

I had the same problem a few weeks back. Mods are virtually identical only I had a manual boost controller. Same gauge too. Both the Autometer and OEM sport meter went to 15psi.

I had originally thought that due to weather or whatever, the boost controller needed adjustment, so I turned it up a bit. No change. Turned it up a little more...no change. A little more...fuel cut. That'll wake you up.

At that point, I drove down to a semi-local shop and had'em take a peak at it.

The MBC checked out fine and was hooked up correctly.

There was an issue with the Autometer gauge where it tee'd into the hose for the OEM gauge. Since the capillary tube liked to shoot out of the tee under moderate boost, I had ghetto-fixed it with electrical tape. We pulled that **** off and used several small zipties.

After that, the tech used a leak tester and didn't find any leaks, so we turned the boost controller all the way down and went for another pull. 10psi, and it felt like 10psi. Adjusted it up, and it was working as normal again, after another run it was back to 20 and tapering normally.

I have no idea which event fixed my problem. The wastegate may have been acting up, or it wasn't a boost problem at all and the gauges were off due to the electrical tape being inadequate.

So check the lines going to your gauge, maybe check your wastegate.
Old May 11, 2007, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

did the problem start only after you installed the BOV?
Old May 11, 2007, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

I heard of some early IX's spiking 17psi stock. You may have to get a MBC to boost more if you've checked everything else.
Old May 11, 2007, 01:03 PM

I am assumiming it has been like that from the begging. I did not have a boost gauge until after I installed the Forge BOV.
Old May 11, 2007, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BEN06'
I am assumiming it has been like that from the begging. I did not have a boost gauge until after I installed the Forge BOV.
Do you actaully feel a power difference? If not, it's probably one of the low-boosting stock IX's. In warm weather you may be seeing only 15psi peak on stock boost. Atleast get a MBC to troubleshoot. You'll probably want to keep it anyways.
Old May 12, 2007, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't sell your car yet! Just adjust(shorten) the WGA's adjustable actuator rod from one and a half to two full turns. You'll need to get a MBC.
Old May 12, 2007, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sparky
Don't sell your car yet! Just adjust(shorten) the WGA's adjustable actuator rod from one and a half to two full turns. You'll need to get a MBC.
OK I don't want to be mean, but ...

Why do you keep giving the same AWFUL advice? We have been over this several times. You really should stop as you will only cause people to create more problems / damage their cars. We have already addressed that you are not an engineer, have not logged the effects of your recommendation, have no mechanical background whatsoever, etc.

So to refresh what you are in essence recommending for folks to do on stock WG: shorten the WG rod that opens the WG. What this does is change how much air passes over the turbine blades and will cause boost creep / over boosting. The issue with the stock WG is the SPRING, not the ROD length. When someone is running high boost an aftermarket WGA is the way to go, not screwing up the leverage with the stock WG.

If you don't believe me, then call FP, Garret, or MR in Torrance -- hopefully they will be able to educate you.
Old May 12, 2007, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BEN06'
My question is that I have an 06' Evo IX I bought a Forge recirc. BOV and yesterday I did a boost leak test to find my boost problem. Reason being is that my car boosts to 15psi and thats it.. So last night I put my stock 9 BOV back on and still only boost to 15lbs. Although throttle responce improved and power feels stronger there is still a problem. I have an autometer boost gauge which is not the best, but not the ****iest. My gauge reads to 30psi. and I am only hitting 15lbs. of boost. I doubt that it can be off 4psi. Right or wrong and IX from the factory should spike @ 19psi and tapper to 16psi correct? Other than that I have a 3" catback system and a blitz cone filter. Please let me know if there are other areas to check, or did I just get robbed from the factory?
So you tested the system up to 24 psi and found no leaks? The common places for leaks are: Throttle body and LICP connections, although any could be your issue.

There have been numeroud posts with gauge issues, so the best way to test is with a MAP sensor.

Finally, if you are still running the stock BCS setup and flash, you may only be at ~17 psi (peak) (some of the later 9's were apparently sent with lower boost maps as verified by several members posting in the ECUFLASH section) and that would be in 4th gear doing a WOT pull from 2K rpm. So you may not really be off as much as you think.

Please DO NOT touch your WG rod as you will only cause problems.
Old May 12, 2007, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had the same boosting problem... only able to boost to 15lbs. My wastegate acuator was bad, replaced it and all better now. Hopefully your problem is the same.
Old May 12, 2007, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

damn....i have a similar problem....boost in my car slowly climbs to 1 bar at redline...and at 3000 rpm i have only like .2 or .3 bar of boost....do you guys think its the wastegate actuator?
Old May 12, 2007, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
check the intake snorkle. ive had problems there before causing boost to be really low.
Old May 21, 2007, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

anyonr have a acutal part number that works? i've been on the phone with napa and mitsu alll day and cant find anything
Old May 21, 2007, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

anyonr have a acutal part number that works? i've been on the phone with napa and mitsu alll day and cant find anything

Quick Reply: Low boosting problem..