Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Denso Iridium Spark Plugs...help?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2007, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Denso Iridium Spark Plugs...help?

I went to autozone and got a set of Denso Iridium plugs for my 06 IX SE. My baby has just 10k miles on her, and when I pulled the factory plugs (NGK Iridiums), they were dark brown and looked really corroded which that alone scared me a little bit. :< Anyway, I pull the plugs out and compare to the new Denso's and the NGK plugs threaded area was about 1/2" longer than the Denso's, so they stock ones were actually larger plugs. I did the swap and haven't had any trouble, but I'm hoping for someone to know if I did the right thing or not?

I checked Denso's website and they dont' list any plugs for my car. I checked Autozone's website and they don't list any denso plugs for it either... Of course, I do this all after I bought the plugs from my local Autozone... ugh.

Also, they told me these plugs came pregapped, which I believed, but is this correct? If not, does anyone know the exact gap they should have?

Last edited by Alphex; May 11, 2007 at 01:47 PM.
Old May 11, 2007, 02:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For stock EVO 9, the DENSO part number is IKH22. Most of the Denso ones are pregapped.

1 step colder is IKH24
Old May 11, 2007, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Alphex
I went to autozone and got a set of Denso Iridium plugs for my 06 IX SE. My baby has just 10k miles on her, and when I pulled the factory plugs (NGK Iridiums), they were dark brown and looked really corroded which that alone scared me a little bit. :< Anyway, I pull the plugs out and compare to the new Denso's and the NGK plugs threaded area was about 1/2" longer than the Denso's, so they stock ones were actually larger plugs. I did the swap and haven't had any trouble, but I'm hoping for someone to know if I did the right thing or not?

I checked Denso's website and they dont' list any plugs for my car. I checked Autozone's website and they don't list any denso plugs for it either... Of course, I do this all after I bought the plugs from my local Autozone... ugh.

Also, they told me these plugs came pregapped, which I believed, but is this correct? If not, does anyone know the exact gap they should have?
Hmm 1/2inch shorter on threads? You got the wrong plugs or are describing the difference incorrectly. Are you sure the actual threads are 1/2 inch shorter? Maybe you meant that the metal body is shorter but the threaded portion is the same length ? I find it hard to believe the car runs if the electrodes do not even get down to the combustion chamber

Check the p/n that Speed Element posted.

Milburn
Old May 14, 2007, 11:01 AM

Yes - checking the part numbers posted later today, but I am describing it correctly, the actual threaded portion is approximately 1/2" shorter than the stock NGK plugs, I thought the exact thing as I looked at them... thinking "it's so much shorter, how is it even going to fire?" But it is...

Anyway, I'll repost once I've checked that part number.
Old May 14, 2007, 04:45 PM

Dark brown is a good color. You don't really have any mods yet so the car is running with the factory ecu settings. AFR should be perfect. I would be getting scared if the plugs were white or the tips were melted.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 08:07 PM

Sorry to revive an old post, but I finally found the spark plug packaging, and the part number is IK16#4/5303#4. Sooo, any ideas on what happens if you use a spark plug that's not the right part number? It's not longer than the stock plugs, so there's no worries about it striking the pistons or anything... but still... I'm a little concerned. Any thoughts?
Old Aug 6, 2007, 01:38 AM
Evolved Member

ikh24 optionsauto sells them for the beest price ive found same length as stockers just a step colder
Old Aug 6, 2007, 02:00 AM
Evolving Member

DUDE... dont use those plugs man.. and dont ever go to autozone.. i run an autoparts store... PM me.. you are running a really hot plug...
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:58 AM

oh crap

Ok, now I'm worried. I've been running those plugs for about a month now, not very many miles though... I feel like an idiot, I should've gone back to the store as soon as I noticed a difference in the plugs, but I was switching from the stock NGK's, so I assumed that was why they looked different. bleargh
Old Aug 6, 2007, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

lol wow i hope you havent been getting on it around ever corner
Old Aug 6, 2007, 12:38 PM

No, I don't race it or anything, it's my DD, and my commute is maybe 15 minutes one way, so I haven't put a lot of miles on it since the plug swap, needless to say, I'm on my way to the auto parts store for the correct plugs and the evo is sitting in the garage waiting...
Old Sep 26, 2007, 12:45 AM

denso iridiums worked perfect for me i run ik24 they even change to colder ik27 one minus expensive!