Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Perrin test pipe (cat delete) with stock down pipe and exhaust

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2007, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perrin test pipe (cat delete) with stock down pipe and exhaust

I did a search and couldn't find anything about this, so please excuse me if this is a dumb question.

I have an IX MR and I happen to have a Perrin test pipe for the Evo VIII/IX. I was wondering:

A) If the Perrin test pipe will fit between my stock down pipe and exhaust?
B) If this would work, would this improve performance or just mess everything up?

Thanks, and sorry ahead of time if this doesn't make sense.
Old May 12, 2007, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

I have the same test pipe. It should fit between the stock components. And yes, anytime you remove a bottle neck in the exhaust flow you will experience gains. You will still need to get a tune however to fully realize the full potential of going catless
Old May 12, 2007, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dont bother getting a tune on just adding a test pipe. waste of money imo
Old May 12, 2007, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

Ya, dont get me wrong. You can run all day with a test pipe without a tune. But to get the most out of it you need a tune. I wouldnt just install the test pipe either though. I would hit up the whole exhaust, to remove all the bottle necks.
Old May 12, 2007, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Apex Racer
I have the same test pipe. It should fit between the stock components. And yes, anytime you remove a bottle neck in the exhaust flow you will experience gains. You will still need to get a tune however to fully realize the full potential of going catless
Great! This is what I was thinking.

NEXT:

So I wouldnt be losing any power (either lo-end or hi-end) from just replacing my cat with a test pipe without getting a tune?

Do I use the stock gaskets on either side of my factory cat when installing my test pipe?

What size are pipes on the stock cat? They look a lot smaller than the Perrin test pipe...

Has anyone tried this before?

Thanks again!
Old May 12, 2007, 03:42 PM

Ya, dont get me wrong. You can run all day with a test pipe without a tune. But to get the most out of it you need a tune. I wouldnt just install the test pipe either though. I would hit up the whole exhaust, to remove all the bottle necks.
I'm not going to buy a full exhaust yet, and I have this test pipe laying around so I just figured I would throw it on. Is it going to give me a few HP if I put this on in the mean time?
Old May 12, 2007, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

dont forget to get the O2 Simulator if u dont want to see a CEL
Old May 12, 2007, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by rlui0514
dont forget to get the O2 Simulator if u dont want to see a CEL
I lost the O2 simulator that came with the Perrin pipe, but from what I've read, spark plug anti-foulers are the best to use for the IX...will I need to do any modifications? How does the fouler attach to the pipe, and how does the O2 sensor connect to the fouler?

Sorry for asking so many questions but thanks for the replies.
Old May 12, 2007, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Ive done this before with a 3" resonated test-pipe. I used 3" gaskets between the downpipe and catback exhaust.

There will be a slight exhaust leaks because the stock downpipe and exhaust are only 2.5inches.
Old May 12, 2007, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Search, theres a how-to to making a cel fix out of anti foulers. Thats how I made mines.
Old May 12, 2007, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PEARLEVOIXMR
Is it going to give me a few HP if I put this on in the mean time?
yes , you will feel an increase in power. not the maximum as Apex Racer has stated you would get with a tune
Old May 12, 2007, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jakeg97
yes , you will feel an increase in power. not the maximum as Apex Racer has stated you would get with a tune
Will I definately have an exhaust leak using the stock setup with the Perrin cat delete pipe?
Old May 12, 2007, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Will I definately have an exhaust leak using the stock setup with the Perrin cat delete pipe?
if it does, it will be minimal and nothing to worry about

Last edited by Jakeg97; May 12, 2007 at 05:49 PM.
Old May 12, 2007, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

Great! This is what I was thinking.

NEXT:

So I wouldnt be losing any power (either lo-end or hi-end) from just replacing my cat with a test pipe without getting a tune?

Do I use the stock gaskets on either side of my factory cat when installing my test pipe?

What size are pipes on the stock cat? They look a lot smaller than the Perrin test pipe...

Has anyone tried this before?

Thanks again!
^^^^^^^^^
I re-used the stock gaskets and put some high heat sealant on them, then let it set. I think the stock pipes are around 2.25-2.5 in the test pipe is a full 3 in.

You will be fine running this. An after market cat back with 3in piping and a 3 in downpipe would help you maximize the potential of going catless. but as I said earlier any time you remove a bottleneck you will improve power potential, but in this case you are esentially opening the exhaust up then shutting it back down due to smaller piping on the catback. But the cat converter itself has so moch restrictive material in it that when you remove it you will defineatly notice a difference.

Ideally exhaust modification should go from the the outlet to the source, ie.. cat back, then cat, then down pipe.

Hope this helps
Old May 13, 2007, 06:18 AM

^^^^^^^^^
I re-used the stock gaskets and put some high heat sealant on them, then let it set. I think the stock pipes are around 2.25-2.5 in the test pipe is a full 3 in.

You will be fine running this. An after market cat back with 3in piping and a 3 in downpipe would help you maximize the potential of going catless. but as I said earlier any time you remove a bottleneck you will improve power potential, but in this case you are esentially opening the exhaust up then shutting it back down due to smaller piping on the catback. But the cat converter itself has so moch restrictive material in it that when you remove it you will defineatly notice a difference.

Ideally exhaust modification should go from the the outlet to the source, ie.. cat back, then cat, then down pipe.

Hope this helps

It helps a lot, thank you very much.

Quick Reply: Perrin test pipe (cat delete) with stock down pipe and exhaust