Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

clutch replacement (to use stock flywheel???)

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2007, 05:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FastAzzEvo
decisions decisions!!!
That's easy. Just buy one of each! Honestly, the HDSS should hold just fine for the power you are talking about making.
Old May 15, 2007, 05:22 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We carry both units IN STOCK. PM us for pricing.
Old May 15, 2007, 05:29 PM

decisions decisions!!!
Yo man you can't go worng with the ACT Xtreme man it will hold more than enought for you man plus give you room for upgrades. TTP hooked me up and it was well worth it.
Old May 16, 2007, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out my review of the ACT HDSS and the Xact flywheel...
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=267860

I think you'll be happy with this setup!

One thing you should figure out.. if you are going to crack open your trans anyways to install a new clutch, might as well get a new flywheel either stock or aftermarket. I've seen some new oem flywheels on *gasp* Ebay and it didn't cost too much, maybe < $100 more than having your used flywheel resurfaced.

Good luck!
Old May 16, 2007, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone have any experience with the exedy twin compared to all the single plate manufacturers?
Old May 16, 2007, 11:57 AM
Account Disabled

Yes its great. Yes its $1500.
Old May 17, 2007, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

the mitsubishi place told me that its not safe to resurface the flywheel...
but after reading all this, i think it'll be ok right?
Old May 17, 2007, 10:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by evoIX15
the mitsubishi place told me that its not safe to resurface the flywheel...
but after reading all this, i think it'll be ok right?
That's funny. I assume they haven't even seen the flywheel so how can they make that judgement? Here is some more info on flywheel resurfacing and on materials you might find interesting:

Really safety is not much of an issue on the EVO since it is not a grey iron casting like most flywheels. Usually the issue is finding a competent automotive machine shop to do the work right, and a dealership is not willing to risk it. They would rather replace the part with a new one.

In the case of grey iron flywheels, cracks can form when they get overheated and then the cracks grow so there is an increased chance of catastrphic failure. That is a real safety issue because it is like a bomb going off! Basically if there are any visible cracks on a grey iron flywheel (or really any flywheel) it should go in the trash. A grey iron flywheel has less tendancy to warp and more tendancy to crack than a ductile iron or steel flywheel. Since the stock EVO flywheel is not grey iron it is much stronger and more prone to warp when it is overheated rather than crack.
Old May 17, 2007, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks dirk, I called a shop that does this flywheel stuff and it was about $100 for anything that needs to be done to the flywheel including balancing.
thats a rip off
i always get my flywheels researfaced at action clutch here inlos angeles and they only charge $25.00. i goten my act flywheel researfaced there several times
Old May 17, 2007, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by riceball777
thats a rip off
i always get my flywheels researfaced at action clutch here inlos angeles and they only charge $25.00. i goten my act flywheel researfaced there several times
it was a quote not the price. I'm sure it would be less, but they also charge 900 to install an evo clutch so I am not doing business with them anyhow.

I am trying to decide on my driving habits if I should go with the

ACT HD
or exedy twin

Still doing research and calling around.

I was told the HD put more stress on the rest of the car drivetrain/transmission than the exedy twin SD.

I was also told that the exedy twin would outlast the act HD simply because they work differently.

However, the price difference is tremendous and that extra 1000$ would buy me a evo green so i'm trying to play this smart and get the best thing for me considering I don't wanna replace a clutch for at least 2 years or more. I have owned a lot of cars and I am surprised I only got 13K out of my stocker. Guess all those riding the clutch a little launches took me by storm.
Old May 17, 2007, 08:06 PM
Account Disabled

The EXEDY SD is not any easier on the trans than the ACT.

Someone just wants to sell you something.

The MM022SD is an insufficient model for the Evo in clamping force and only the MM022HD should be considered.

Honestly way too much thought is going into this...

You think about power goals.

You think about primary uses of the car.

You pick the proper clutch.
Old May 18, 2007, 12:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think my ACT HD organic disc is great. It held 484 whp on our dyno dynamics which is about 550 whp on a DJ. The pedal pressure is just slightly stiffer than stock, but still holds massive amounts of power while being easy to modulate.

It is the clutch I recommend to most of my customers when they call. Another added benefit is that it is very affordable.
Old May 18, 2007, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
The EXEDY SD is not any easier on the trans than the ACT.

Someone just wants to sell you something.

The MM022SD is an insufficient model for the Evo in clamping force and only the MM022HD should be considered.

Honestly way too much thought is going into this...

You think about power goals.

You think about primary uses of the car.

You pick the proper clutch.

I want to say you are right, but the fact is "he isn't selling me the clutch" he is just installing it, so i'm sure he doesn't care one way or the other what I go with.

You would think that the grab and go clutches (high clamping forces) would be more strain on the drivetrain components than a lighter clamping force twin disc.

You might say its too much thought, but when it comes to something like a clutch for "my" car I am going to take all the time I need.

I haven't ruled either out yet.
Old May 18, 2007, 06:46 AM
Account Disabled

I want to say you are right, but the fact is "he isn't selling me the clutch" he is just installing it, so i'm sure he doesn't care one way or the other what I go with.

You would think that the grab and go clutches (high clamping forces) would be more strain on the drivetrain components than a lighter clamping force twin disc.

You might say its too much thought, but when it comes to something like a clutch for "my" car I am going to take all the time I need.

I haven't ruled either out yet.
#1 The SD Exedy has proven time and time again to be insufficient for the Evo and ends up needing new discs within about a year at $500 +$550-$1000 labor.

#2 The EXEDY twin consists of cerametallic discs which engage much faster than the organic material of the ACT street disc.

Which makes the EXEDY HARDER ON YOUR DRIVELINE.
Old May 18, 2007, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
#1 The SD Exedy has proven time and time again to be insufficient for the Evo and ends up needing new discs within about a year at $500 +$550-$1000 labor.

#2 The EXEDY twin consists of cerametallic discs which engage much faster than the organic material of the ACT street disc.

Which makes the EXEDY HARDER ON YOUR DRIVELINE.
Interesting that you say that since you sell both.

You do installs right? What are the amounts (%) of the clutches you do? Brand, model?

Also, what do you customers say about these particular models, brands?

Quick Reply: clutch replacement (to use stock flywheel???)