Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

clutch replacement (to use stock flywheel???)

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2007, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch replacement (to use stock flywheel???)

I will be purchasing a clutch kit soon for my evo. It is starting to slip a little on heavy loads 4th & 5th gear.

My question is should I get the flywheel resurfaced, buy a new stock flywheel, or a aftermarket flywheel?

Thanks for any ideas, or professional experience.
Old May 14, 2007, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Get the fly wheel resurfaced. Its cheaper, unless you clutch was blown.
Old May 14, 2007, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WrX Kila
Get the fly wheel resurfaced. Its cheaper, unless you clutch was blown.
no, its just barely starting to slip on heavy loads, scared to try first, second gears.
Old May 14, 2007, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
resurface the fly wheel...replace all bearings (TB and crank-if there is one) as well as the clutch and you'll be good to go..
Old May 14, 2007, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would slip in 5th before it would start to slip in 1st. If your car slips in 1,2,3 then its prettty shot. I've heard not resurfacing it since it thins it out.

I think I remember somewhere just clean it off with a scotchbrite pad and replace. I am prob wrong tho. .haha Any other insight?
Old May 14, 2007, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by staatz
It would slip in 5th before it would start to slip in 1st. If your car slips in 1,2,3 then its prettty shot. I've heard not resurfacing it since it thins it out.

I think I remember somewhere just clean it off with a scotchbrite pad and replace. I am prob wrong tho. .haha Any other insight?
resurfacing doesn't thin out your flywheel unless you are using a die grinder to literally file it down!!

Resurfacing would be the most economical and effective means of keeping your idle stock like (you might hear chatter with a lighter flywheel). All they do is lightly sand the surface so that it is even, clean it down with a solvent so the surface is clean and true in order for your clutch to mate up perfectly. . .
Old May 14, 2007, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

I went to to disk already with no problem. The first time I just put in the ACT kit. No chatter nothing and the stock clutch was slipping. The second time I got the flywheel resufaced while it was at the stealership, getting the tranny fixed. I just put in an ACT disk and that was that. No problem, Now I think I will get a exedy twin disk.
Old May 14, 2007, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

I have the Gruppe-S lightweight flywheel and on occasion my car idles funny, almost as though it wants to die out. This only started happening after the flywheel install.

(No I don't have a VTA BOV, no intake, No cams)

It's not bad though, and once I get my cams installed and re-tuned it should be fine.....
Old May 14, 2007, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

How much miles you got? Im right at 30k and never really abused my car, maybe launched it 5 or 6 times and my clutch is almost gone. Slips crazy in 4th and 5th on the highway, barely driveable. Thought the stocker would last me longer then that
Old May 14, 2007, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

thanks for the info guys.

I have heard the same thing that if the flywheel is good scrubing it off and cleaning it is all you need to do.

I just didn't know if I wanted to spend the extra money on a new or aftermarket flywheel, but I don't wanna be pulling the transmission after another 15K because I didn't do it right the first time.
Old May 14, 2007, 10:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Find a perfectly straight piece of metal and lay it on the flywheel's surface that the disc rides on and see if it is flat. If it is flat and smooth, leave it alone. If you can put anything more than a .010" feeler gauge between the straight edge and the inner portion of the surface, then you should get it resurfaced (...or replace with the appropriate ACT flywheel... ). Ask them about re-balancing the flywheel too because many shops won't balance the flywheel after resurfacing.
Old May 14, 2007, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ACTman
Find a perfectly straight piece of metal and lay it on the flywheel's surface that the disc rides on and see if it is flat. If it is flat and smooth, leave it alone. If you can put anything more than a .010" feeler gauge between the straight edge and the inner portion of the surface, then you should get it resurfaced (...or replace with the appropriate ACT flywheel... ). Ask them about re-balancing the flywheel too because many shops won't balance the flywheel after resurfacing.
Thanks dirk, I called a shop that does this flywheel stuff and it was about $100 for anything that needs to be done to the flywheel including balancing.
Old May 14, 2007, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FastAzzEvo
thanks for the info guys.

I have heard the same thing that if the flywheel is good scrubing it off and cleaning it is all you need to do.

I just didn't know if I wanted to spend the extra money on a new or aftermarket flywheel, but I don't wanna be pulling the transmission after another 15K because I didn't do it right the first time.
It's not a question of "doing it right" or not, it's a question of taste.

I've had aftermarket flywheels and stock ones, and for the loss of a few pounds in rotational inertia, I gained more head aches with chatter at idle, revs dropping down (making around town driving a pain), and burnt clutch discs (because you have to engage at higher rpms initially with a new flywheel AND clutch since they are both being bed in). . .

Dirk (ACTMAN) is completely correct in how one should measure residue on the flywheel after it's been resurfaced AND balanced. . .

and to give a free bump to a great company, consider the ACT clutch with street disc, I've had it for 6 months now and have only had amazing results with little extra pedal effort (and holding power to about 400+lbs torque, which I'll never hit on my stock car )
Old May 14, 2007, 11:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by FastAzzEvo
Thanks dirk, I called a shop that does this flywheel stuff and it was about $100 for anything that needs to be done to the flywheel including balancing.
That is a lot of money for just resurfacing and balancing. I am used to shops charging about half that price, but I don't know how it is in your area.
Old May 14, 2007, 11:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by shivaswrath
...and to give a free bump to a great company, consider the ACT clutch with street disc, I've had it for 6 months now and have only had amazing results with little extra pedal effort (and holding power to about 400+lbs torque, which I'll never hit on my stock car )
Thanks!

Quick Reply: clutch replacement (to use stock flywheel???)