Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How many of you keep your stock air box?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2007, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got an aem intake for dirt cheap so I threw it in for fun......I wasn't disapointed. I have 0 driveability issues and my boost doesnt taper as bad as it did on the stock box.

I dunno what people do and why the have so many issues with an intake but I say its a big urban legend that has been carried on through the evo community and i believe its false....but for some reason it keeps getting passed along.

Also I didnt change anything special to "tune" for it, no magic intake button in ecuflash that you hit yes if you have an intake...I put it on and checked my afr and boost and it was all good....
Old May 17, 2007, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

I'm just using the stock snorkel...not the box itself.
Old May 17, 2007, 01:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Depending on power level, a open air filter can produce gains. Was substantial in my case, the stock box was totally maxed out in my case, with drop in. Just putting the filter on gained 2 psi up top and leaned out the AFR .5

This is with the AFR brought back down to match the before, but of course, with a little more boost up top since it could do it.

Last edited by razorlab; May 17, 2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old May 17, 2007, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Depending on power level, a open air filter can produce gains. Was substantial in my case, the stock box was totally maxed out in my case, with drop in. Just putting the filter on gained 2 psi up top and leaned out the AFR .5

This is with the AFR brought back down to match the before, but of course, with a little more boost up top since it could do it.

That was with only an addition of an intake? did you have the evogreen at the time or stock turbo?
Old May 17, 2007, 01:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EV0lut10n_8
That was with only an addition of an intake? did you have the evogreen at the time or stock turbo?
Evo green for both. Just addition of intake and tuning for it.

I am still bottlenecked somewhere else as well but the filter helped one of the bottlenecks.

02 housing going on next.

The funny thing is the stock turbo was doing about the same power as the base run graph, leading me to believe the stock box was restricting the stock turbo at this level as well.
Old May 17, 2007, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

I pulled the stock filter and lid for one pull on the dyno and the AFRs went almost .5 more lean, 2 more psi to redline, and about 8 more peak HP.

Ebay TBE
MBC 26psi
1000cc injectors
255 walbro
e85
Old May 17, 2007, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I recently switched to a fake BR intake from ebay. It cost me $16 and was identical to the BR unit I had purchased and sold a year ago. I switched only because I added alchy injection and wanted to run more boost. I dont feel the stock box was a restriction at 22psi but at 26psi I wanted all the airflow I could get. I was able to hold higher boost with the open element filter. Even if I'm sucking in hot air at idle, once the car gets moving there is a ton of airflow in the engine bay.

Did you know that all the 95-99 turbo eclipse and talons use the same filter? Well they do and there are a ton of high quality low cost options on EBAY.

Last edited by Jeff_Jeske; May 17, 2007 at 03:51 PM.
Old May 17, 2007, 02:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Yes, the 2G maf physically is the same as the EVO, so all 2G filter kits should work for the evo.

The nice thing about the BR filter is that is a direct bolt on with no adapter needed, it has four theaded studs on the actual filter that bolts directly to the MAF itself. It also has the velocity stack that helps smooth air flow. I had no MAF related problems with this filter, no adjustments other than more fuel. It didn't mess with MAF readings like I have seen other open filters do. It looks exactly like this Vibrant filter but custom with studs instead of the clamp:

I wouldn't be surpised if he gets them made by the same supplier.

Just so people are not mistaken that I am trying to pimp buschur, I have been messing with 4G63's for over 11years, and believe it or not, this is the first and probably only buschur product I have ever bought.

I was happy it worked so well but bummed at the same time if you catch my drift.
Old May 17, 2007, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Evo green for both. Just addition of intake and tuning for it.I am still bottlenecked somewhere else as well but the filter helped one of the bottlenecks. 02 housing going on next.
The A/R parameter of the Green´s 10.5 turbine housing because of it´s reduced radius results in tangential flow. The exit flow of the larger exducer is further restricted by the shrouded casting of the 10.5's turbine outlet. You should be able to reduce backpressure further by fully porting the turbine housing´s outlet. If you look at the exducer inside of the housing you´ll see that there is a circumferential ridge that remains in the casting. This can´t help backpressure at all. So, grind away! Also, gasket match the turbine inlet to the turbo/manifold gasket.
Old May 17, 2007, 03:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tweakdsm
could be true. I just leave stock air lid and swap it back btw what do you guys think about the intakes? like Injen?
i personally use the injen intake w/ upper ic pipe combo....alot of people will tell you its horrible, some will tell you its great...personally it worked for me although 99% of the people hear will tell you keep it stock unless you go bigger turbo, and if you HAVE to get an intake, go with the buschur racing intake
Old May 17, 2007, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Y
The nice thing about the BR filter is that is a direct bolt on with no adapter needed, it has four theaded studs on the actual filter that bolts directly to the MAF itself.
Here is the one I purchased.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWN:IT&ih=016
Old May 17, 2007, 04:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
That's it, did it come with the studs as well? The BR filter uses the white filter element like the Vibrant though, smells like a doctors office at first.
Old May 17, 2007, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

stock airbox + k&n drop in here
Old May 17, 2007, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Check out what I found on import tuner. The K&N drop in works very well. And all of these gains are without a tune.

Dyno 2: K&N Performance High Flow Filter
PEAKHP 262.0 / PEAKTQ 255.4
Horsepower Gain
1500 to 3500 HP range: 0 to 1
3500 to 5500 HP range: 0 to 7
5500 to redline HP range: 3 to 12
Torque Gain
1500 to 3500 TQ range: 2 to 3
3500 to 5500 TQ range: 10 to 5
5500 to redline TQ range: 13 to -2

Heres the link so you can see for yourself. http://www.importtuner.com/tech/powe...ir_filter.html
Old May 17, 2007, 06:09 PM

I noticed something extremely interesting on my Evo IX. As I was closing my hood lid, I noticed that the underside of the lid has some foam rubber weatherstripping along the front edge, I presume to keep rainwater from slipping into the engine bay. I also noticed that said weatherstripping nearly *completely* blocks the stock airbox intake funnel. I mean it just left a tiny opening on the left and right ends for air to get in. I whipped out my pocket knife and cut off the offending section of weatherstripping, and my engine now seems to run a whole lot better at higher rpms. Gas mileage also seems to have improved by 2 -4 mpg. Has anyone else noticed this? I've also driven through a driving downpour after my "mod", then opened the airbox lid to check for water. I saw a couple small drops of water, but nothing to really worry about. The air filter was still dry. The car now feels more powerful, but I don't have any dyno pulls to back that up.

The air filter was not actually completely dry. It felt slightly moist in a few small areas. But this was one of the heaviest rainstorms I had ever driven in. Anyway, just wanted to provide that clarification. I'm still not worried about my "mod".

Last edited by cubicleslave; May 17, 2007 at 06:31 PM. Reason: clarification

Quick Reply: How many of you keep your stock air box?