Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How many of you keep your stock air box?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2007, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Piece of **** annoying K&N typhoon.
Old May 17, 2007, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

razorlab,

you're using the buschur cone filter with the stock air tube or did you replace the stocker with a metal pipe?
Old May 17, 2007, 07:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Exciting News
razorlab,

you're using the buschur cone filter with the stock air tube or did you replace the stocker with a metal pipe?
stock air tube.
Old May 17, 2007, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Does it change anything if you have a cone filter, get a tune, then decide to get a hard pipe intake instead of the factory/cone combination
Old May 17, 2007, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
stock air tube.
Was this because of potential heat soaking of the metal pipe or a price thing?

I'll consider this option when/if I ditch the stock box.
Old May 17, 2007, 07:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Exciting News
Was this because of potential heat soaking of the metal pipe or a price thing?
On my personal evo, I have just been replacing things as they become restrictions or are no longer performing to the level I want.
Old May 17, 2007, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was a HUGE believer in the stock airbox(i still am), it does a great job with a drop in filter.

I recently did some testing using a AEM intake. The AEM intake comes with a heatsheild and allows the use of the stock cold air snorkel, which pumps cold air into the filter area, which is enclosed by the heatsheild.

I simulated the use of a normal hard MAF pipe and a open filter element(like used by most aftermarket intakes) by doing some testing without the heatsheild and snorkel. the IAT's logged were in the 130's and climbed higher during a pull. After cruising for a extended period of time, the IATs always stayed about 15-20degs above ambient. This was completly unacceptable.

I installed the heatshield and snorkel and instantly(as i expected) saw much lower IAT's @ idle (IAT's went down to 105-110*f) and ambeint temps at cruise. The most important part was that @ WOT during a pull, the IAT's went down significatly.

My conclusion was that the AEM intake, with it's heatsheild and re-use of the cold air snorkel, had all the benifits of a open element filter(low pressure drop) and all the benefits of the stock air box/snorkel(cool IATs, both @ idle and WOT).

I was also able to eek another 2psi up top. The AEM intake did not mess with the MAF sensor too much, although there were some obvious MAF issues, common with a hard MAF pipe w/open element filter. After tuning(both ignition timing and AFR) for this intake, i was able to see a considerable increase in both throttle response and power.

CJ
Old May 17, 2007, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The metal intake pipes are a bad idea. Not because of heat soak but because they rattle the MAF causing bad readings. The best way to go if you need aftermarket is siamco or obx. These absorb the shock that comes from the motor.

If you dont believe this start your car up and then to tap the top of the maf and see what happens. The car will nearly die out. If you put a metal pipe on the maf and the thing shakes the MAF or causes the filter to clang on the frame you may have all kinds of strange thing happen.
Old May 17, 2007, 11:38 PM
adx
Evolving Member

Works drop in and modded lid here. After the lid was cut, I noticed slightly quicker boost and the growl of a healthy beast.

It definately allowed things to flow much better. There could be a hint of a couple ponies up top.
Old May 18, 2007, 03:28 AM
Evolved Member

I have the same - works drop in with modified airbox

Originally Posted by adx
Works drop in and modded lid here. After the lid was cut, I noticed slightly quicker boost and the growl of a healthy beast.

It definately allowed things to flow much better. There could be a hint of a couple ponies up top.
Old May 18, 2007, 04:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is what I am debating about my new green thats in the mail. Stock box or no.....
Old May 18, 2007, 04:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
Did you know that all the 95-99 turbo eclipse and talons use the same filter? Well they do and there are a ton of high quality low cost options on EBAY.
Do you know if they have the MAF sensor? I damaged the honeycomb in mine, and I need to get a new one. I also don't want to pay the $$$ that everyone wants for their evo MAF sensor.
Old May 18, 2007, 04:56 AM

Stock box drop in with induction pipe for better flow!
Old May 18, 2007, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Just so people are not mistaken that I am trying to pimp buschur, I have been messing with 4G63's for over 11years, and believe it or not, this is the first and probably only buschur product I have ever bought.

I was happy it worked so well but bummed at the same time if you catch my drift.
Razor what happened to you man? How is your 6 speed handling the new found power?

I'm sticking to the stock air box with K&N panel filter and Samco induction hose. There are many other restrictions in my car for me to worry about gain/loss from an aftermarket intake.
Old May 21, 2007, 09:55 AM

any comments on foam blockage?

I've gotten no comments to my post about removing the foam rubber weatherstrip blockage from my stock air inlet. Could someone with an Evo IX confirm that they also have this blockage? And any comments would be appreciated so I know my perceived improvement wasn't just wishful thinking. Thanks a lot!

Quick Reply: How many of you keep your stock air box?