Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My First Tune @ DSG

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2007, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My First Tune @ DSG

I've got the following mods on my IX:

Helix 3" Turbo-back Exhaust (Catless)
Forge UNOS Manual Boost Control @ 23psi (Torco Unleaded Accelerator + 93 Pump)
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
K&N 4.5" Cone Filter on Stock Intake Piping

First run on stock map was 225whp

Best run was 262whp

This is a conservative, zero knock tune, as my car is a daily driver. Also, it's a Dyno Dynamics, which reads low.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHwTU09MZAM

Last edited by recompile; May 19, 2007 at 01:45 PM.
Old May 19, 2007, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad you got tuned - you needed it. However, I just don't know why people say their tune is "conservative" just because it has zero knock. Everyone gets tuned for zero knock - that's the whole point. If you have knock, then it's not a good tune. Also, most of us use our Evos as daily drivers. People don't get lesser tunes just because it's a daily driver. We just get a second map at higher boost for racing on race gas, but the daily map is still powerful.

Stock 03-04s might do 200whp on a DD, but not IXs. IXs usually do around 215-220whp uncorrected on a DD then 300whp with those mods. It's good that you gained 40whp from before the tune, but the car itself seems weak. You can probably increase from 105 to 109mph traps, but that's weak for a IX. Is DSG an expert Evo shop?

Edit: Oops, I have to take some of this back. You were previously tuned with a mail-in, and you thought that was the problem causing your Evo to be slow. However, you were using EvoScan dyno values in your sig instead of real dyno values. Those previous dyno values were 330whp or so, I think. You then went to get custom tuned by DSG, but you didn't do any runs with your mail-in to see how it was performing. You reloaded the stock map, which gave you the 225. So, we don't know if you gained 0whp, 10whp, or 30whp from the custom tune vs the previous tune. So, you won't gain 4mph unless your mail-in flash was actually making 0 power over the stock map. Therefore, I still think something is wrong with the car.

Last edited by Warrtalon; May 19, 2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old May 19, 2007, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

My tuner has done over 100 Evos ( Matt, www.dentsport.com ).

They have some really nice, really high horsepower cars, at the shop. The only reason I say it's conservative is because people DO get aggressive tunes in which 3-4 counts of knock is acceptable. I'm not one of those people, so if not aggressive, I would have to call the tune conservative.

But regardless, they did a good job. Matt basically said that Evos with basic bolt ons are generally ~270-280whp on his Dyno, so mine did seem somewhat weak compared to others. I'm not sure what to blame, but I'm not upset by any means.

My primary concern was keeping things safe, and getting a true dyno reading.
Old May 19, 2007, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Glad you got tuned - you needed it. However, I just don't know why people say their tune is "conservative" just because it has zero knock. Everyone gets tuned for zero knock - that's the whole point. If you have knock, then it's not a good tune. Also, most of us use our Evos as daily drivers. People don't get lesser tunes just because it's a daily driver. We just get a second map at higher boost for racing on race gas, but the daily map is still powerful.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...72&postcount=6

you use it to describe your tunes? whats your point...
Old May 19, 2007, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ShamelessCookie
My tuner has done over 100 Evos ( Matt, www.dentsport.com ).

They have some really nice, really high horsepower cars, at the shop. The only reason I say it's conservative is because people DO get aggressive tunes in which 3-4 counts of knock is acceptable. I'm not one of those people, so if not aggressive, I would have to call the tune conservative.
Yeah, I wasn't sure what DSG stood for - Dentsport knows Evos enough, I think, to help you determine what's wrong with the car. If modded IXs only make 270-280whp there, then maybe all of their tuning is conservative? That's less than IXs on 91oct out West on the same dyno type...

I don't know anyone who considers 3-4 knock counts acceptable, nor do I know anyone who considers that "aggressive." The only thing that will do is cause timing to be pulled and make LESS power. The best tune is not going to knock. You can then go even more conservative by being rich and well below the knock threshold, but just not having knock doesn't mean it's conservative.

Joeymia, I'm not sure what you're referencing in that thread, but I used the word "conservative" to describe my road racing tune. That's for doing 20+ mins of hard boosting in 4th and 5th pretty much non-stop. My daily driving map is not conservative compared to my road racing map. Make sense?

Last edited by Warrtalon; May 19, 2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old May 19, 2007, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DSG is an expert Evo shop. Their tuner is very good at what he does. I reccommend anyone to have their car tuned or worked on at DSG. Quality work and good customer service.
Old May 19, 2007, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Guess I just have a slow Evo then... I dunno what to say
Old May 19, 2007, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Some are faster or slower than others, but what I'm trying to get you to do is have it checked. These guys are experts with Evos, right? I know they know how to race (and build for race), so if they also know tuning, then they can probably troubleshoot your car to see if there's an actual problem. Have you dont a boost leak check yet? Compression test? If you're content, then it doesn't matter, but if you want to trap 113-115 like other IXs on the same mods instead of 107, then have someone take a look at it...
Old May 19, 2007, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

that seems low...my buddy with just a mbc at 23psi dynoed at 262awhp with no tune...maybe he just has a beast factory evo...its a evo IX
Old May 19, 2007, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

I put down 247 whp and 250 wtq on DSG's DD dyno bone stock. The dyno claimed my car was only producing a maximum of 18 psi and tapering to 15 psi. Bone stock IX SE
Old May 19, 2007, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Bummer
Old May 19, 2007, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

I can vouch for DSG also, good shop, smart people...shameless...is your evo boosting to 18-19 psi properly? The car seems weak, but not by much, wouldnt worry about it, nice ride
Old May 19, 2007, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ShamelessCookie
Bummer
Not really. If their dyno was recalibrated to the old school specs since I was there back in March, then that would explain it somewhat. If it hasnt been recalibrated to read like the oldschool Vishnu and Dynoformance dyno dynamics dynos, then you may have an issue somewhere with your car.

The reason I suspect their dyno to read like the newschool DD dynos is because I saw a IX put down 240 whp and 255-260 wtq at The Shop bone stock. Both of their DD dynos are newer and both probably are not set in heartbraker mode.

I would inspect your car for problems somewhere.
Old May 19, 2007, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Hey, Shameless, who installed your walbro? And what is your boost spiking and tapering to?
Old May 20, 2007, 01:03 AM
Evolved Member

I installed my Walbro, and boost spikes 23.5psi, holds above 20psi until about 5 grand, and tapers to 17 at redline

The 2nd chart shows boost

Could poor compression cause a loss in power? I may the cylinders tomorrow

Last edited by recompile; May 20, 2007 at 01:06 AM.

Quick Reply: My First Tune @ DSG