Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HKS 280's to GSC S1's for Evogreen

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2007 | 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NIevo
What problem would that be? Being used on fast, well performing cars?
A very well known Grand National guy here in town bought an SE a while back and started on moding it right away.

He bought an AMS 35r kit, GSC cams ect... after everything was installed, the cams made the car loose HP. After calling AMS they wanted him to send the cams back.

DB has proven these HKS 280 cams to be very good cams over the years.
Old May 20, 2007 | 07:09 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by vwjeff
A very well known Grand National guy here in town bought an SE a while back and started on moding it right away.

He bought an AMS 35r kit, GSC cams ect... after everything was installed, the cams made the car loose HP. After calling AMS they wanted him to send the cams back.

DB has proven these HKS 280 cams to be very good cams over the years.
Third person negative reviews are not permitted on evom.

If you would like to bring this guy to the forum to post his own first hand experience, that would be great.
Old May 20, 2007 | 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

The HKS 280s on my car lost some spool (~300 rpm) over the 272s. I had to take out a lot of fuel in the low and midrange, but added a good amount up top. Revolvers over the 280s provided a huge boost in midrange power, despite showing no improvement in boost threshold (boost is higher in the spool up rpms though). For drag racing with the Green, I think 280s are a great choice.

This and pulling timing at low RPMīs to create more exhaust heat/energy should also help spoolup.
I've never found this to actually be helpful, for whatever it's worth. Any gain in boost (which is quite small) is offset by the greater loss of power due to reduced timing advance. Tune every rpm for power, and let boost threshold be whatever it will, IMO.
Old May 20, 2007 | 07:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
I heard from someone the vwjeff is the suxor
Old May 20, 2007 | 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering

On the contrary, that seems to be the status quo.

Well, that settles it. I'll never buy GSC cams because that one guy in Ohio lost power. Find out if he picked up 5whp by switching over to Royal Purple, will ya?

In fact, I'm calling Greg first thing tomorrow to let him know what's-his-name said that one thing, or something...
Old May 21, 2007 | 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

I've messed w/my cam gear settings before, i had them at -2/0, the car idle too ruff for my taste. Jestr suggested and tuned for a -3/-3 i believe. I'm getting help from a fellow member for tweaking of my maps right now as well since john is dealing w/personal matters at the moment which i can understand. So leaning the spool and more timing should help. My 3rd gear is crazy, its just my 2nd gear seems to take little more time to kick in. Going to hit the track as soon as i get the map tweaked since i still need my rev limiter removed. I'd actually like to see a comparison for the gsc vs hks 280's for a green. Yet to see that. Thanks guys for the input.