Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

best launch = cracked tranfer case

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2007, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll never be able to go to the track again after reading about that Evo carnage.
Old May 26, 2007, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by LITE SPD
It was a White IX that was flatbeded. It was my brothers car and we are thinking he broke the t-case/trans like you did. He didn't blow his motor. Sorry you had a bad day like him.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=273212
i shouldve quit when the intake blew off :P , has happened b4 but i had so many clamps on the thing..... musta been an act of god

sorry 4 the misprint, think it was his g/f , said green and brown, i assumed oil and coolant, that and the track owner just used the words "blew up" at the beer stand lol terrible day for evos--- so it was ur bro that smoked me in that seemingly stock evo ??? :P

did the red manage to get back out there ? heard a rumor he ran again, hope atleast one of us made it out alive,,,,,,

let me know what ur bro decides to go with, and ill give u the quotes from my shop compare a bit

Last edited by 1mpak7; May 26, 2007 at 09:08 PM.
Old May 26, 2007, 09:05 PM

the break looks closer to the vcu than the center diff, according to that ^^... , tho its close, it broke right above the drain plug, i dunno enough about this awd shlt to know, its killin me havin to wait till tues to figure this all out,

i didnt draw the red circle...

Last edited by 1mpak7; May 26, 2007 at 09:16 PM.
Old May 26, 2007, 10:24 PM
Account Disabled

if its an 05 it has acd and oem from the dealer is 3500 bucks from the dealer. i have a spare transfer case on hand from an 05 also with acd in good working condition if you can see gears sticking out of the t case its officialy done. we have installed quiet a few tcase not because of them being destroyed more like they want to upgrade. although hi avent seen to many problems with 05s
Old May 26, 2007, 10:48 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
People should just use the 2 step and learn to manipulate the clutch. We have over 175 passes on stock driveline. Have run 10's @ 130 on stock flywheel and an ACT XTSS.

Launching is an art. Burning on one end, breaking on the other. You need to stay in between.
Old May 26, 2007, 10:55 PM
Account Disabled

this is true
Old May 27, 2007, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thatguy
6k clutch dump + sticky track + AWD = broken drivetrain parts.
Originally Posted by icantdrive75
I've yet to have an issue. That said, Shep anythings are the best you can get. Spend the extra money, you'll be glad you did.
+1 @ icantdrive75

I go into 2step at 6500rpms and build 15psi boost before I either drop or slip the clutch. I dropped the clutch many times with tire spin everytime...It depends a lot on tire pressure as well. On the other hand slipping the clutch yielded better ETs.
Old May 27, 2007, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
People should just use the 2 step and learn to manipulate the clutch. We have over 175 passes on stock driveline. Have run 10's @ 130 on stock flywheel and an ACT XTSS.

Launching is an art. Burning on one end, breaking on the other. You need to stay in between.

Damn. Well. I'm on the breaking end. Or broken should I say
Old May 27, 2007, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by APEX1
This is the BIGGEST reason why I stick to 2nd gear roll racing!
Its better for your car
Its just as exciting, and risky
your not gunna win them all, so it makes it fun

Just be safe
Your gay, roll racing is for ******s who cant drive, street racing is a crime and not to be discussed on this site. (Although I do participate) And why would you ever quote "and risky" as a positive???
Old May 27, 2007, 11:33 AM

no no no, gears arent hanging out, or i wouldnt have said, gears maybe alright in my first post :P, i said i can see em inside the case, and thats cause the crack is 2in long 1/2in wide, and 2 stepping the clutch/feathering is kinda like giving the advice to a guy wrapped around a tree.... you shouldve braked more, i prolly shouldve upgraded the m/mounts and beefed the tranny up 2

obvious

if ive learned anything about the evo..... one bad launch can costs u thousands..... yet still everytime i go to the track i catch shlt from everyone i know,,, who throws a fit when i wont let em drive.

1st bad launch (was feathered, one finger on the ball pulled it outta gear at redline due to g-force) = new clutch and f/w $1.5k
2nd bad launch (2 hard) = new transfer case 2-3k$

both couldve been avoided

i really hate to say this yall, i miss my $12,000 '00 mustang gt.... shouldve dropped the 5k and had it supercharged, this car is costing me more in repairs than it wouldve to have just bumped up the parts in the first place, someone will post "OF COURSE", yet i bet theres somethin on ur car right now that could do with an upgrade..... and u dont wanna/dont have the $ to spend, yet u still race, the stang may have been a pooch but it was a tank,,,, dunno what made me think faster and less reliable was an upgrade, guess faster always feels like an uprgrade, but id rather be runnin low 13's and drive my car home from the track

the evo is a great car, but do i want to own somethin i cant ever let my brother borrow in fear itll come back in 36 pieces after doing somethin a 30k sports car should be able to do? somethin that 1 slip of the foot from a launch can cost me
3k, u can talk about upgrading and u can talk about technique and u can talk about how many times uve ran ur car and never had a problem, but bottom line is u take an evo off the showroom (never been here and read this, or know all that much about awd), the first stoplight u hit u, u rev it up to the launch limit and dump the clutch ur running a dam good risk of gettin out and pushing it across the intersection, and that my friends is DUMB

u know how many sets of tires youll go thru b4 u have to replace the clutch/drivetrain in (for example) an 06 mustang gt ? youll have more fun doin it 2

Last edited by 1mpak7; May 27, 2007 at 11:58 AM.
Old May 27, 2007, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by ASE_Tech@TTP
if its an 05 it has acd and oem from the dealer is 3500 bucks from the dealer. i have a spare transfer case on hand from an 05 also with acd in good working condition if you can see gears sticking out of the t case its officialy done. we have installed quiet a few tcase not because of them being destroyed more like they want to upgrade. although hi avent seen to many problems with 05s
how much for the used t/c ? labor not included part only
Old May 27, 2007, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by KartaRailed
Your gay, roll racing is for ******s who cant drive, street racing is a crime and not to be discussed on this site. (Although I do participate) And why would you ever quote "and risky" as a positive???

because im assuming he was referring to the police.... u know how much a display of power ticket runs ? even tag on a racing ticket, and even tag on the insurance jump, still cheaper than what ima have to dish out, as far as im concerned call it what u want but 2nd gear roll racing seems more practical for the guy who cant afford tossin 10k into a 34k car, to make it capable of covering ur foot errors on the track.
Old May 27, 2007, 11:59 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 1mpak7
how much for the used t/c ? labor not included part only
pm me for pricing no sales pitching in the forums please
Old May 27, 2007, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 1mpak7
no no no, gears arent hanging out, or i wouldnt have said, gears maybe alright in my first post :P, i said i can see em inside the case, and thats cause the crack is 2in long 1/2in wide, and 2 stepping the clutch/feathering is kinda like giving the advice to a guy wrapped around a tree.... you shouldve braked more, i prolly shouldve upgraded the m/mounts and beefed the tranny up 2

obvious

if ive learned anything about the evo..... one bad launch can costs u thousands..... yet still everytime i go to the track i catch shlt from everyone i know,,, who throws a fit when i wont let em drive.

1st bad launch (was feathered, one finger on the ball pulled it outta gear at redline due to g-force) = new clutch and f/w $1.5k
2nd bad launch (2 hard) = new transfer case 2-3k$

both couldve been avoided

i really hate to say this yall, i miss my $12,000 '00 mustang gt.... shouldve dropped the 5k and had it supercharged, this car is costing me more in repairs than it wouldve to have just bumped up the parts in the first place, someone will post "OF COURSE", yet i bet theres somethin on ur car right now that could do with an upgrade..... and u dont wanna/dont have the $ to spend, yet u still race, the stang may have been a pooch but it was a tank,,,, dunno what made me think faster and less reliable was an upgrade, guess faster always feels like an uprgrade, but id rather be runnin low 13's and drive my car home from the track

the evo is a great car, but do i want to own somethin i cant ever let my brother borrow in fear itll come back in 36 pieces after doing somethin a 30k sports car should be able to do? somethin that 1 slip of the foot from a launch can cost me
3k, u can talk about upgrading and u can talk about technique and u can talk about how many times uve ran ur car and never had a problem, but bottom line is u take an evo off the showroom (never been here and read this, or know all that much about awd), the first stoplight u hit u, u rev it up to the launch limit and dump the clutch ur running a dam good risk of gettin out and pushing it across the intersection, and that my friends is DUMB

u know how many sets of tires youll go thru b4 u have to replace the clutch/drivetrain in (for example) an 06 mustang gt ? youll have more fun doin it 2
It's part of the game...u put a ton of power in any car and you don't upgrade EXPECT STUFF TO BREAK...evo is not bullet proof, but if don't calm down and learn the basics then you'll be maxing out your card trying to stay afloat...

No sympathy for you, you live and learn...Evo is a much better car than a mustang GT supercharged...you're upset because your baby is hurt...it happens, will u be talking the same smack when your Evo is back on the streets better than before?

As far as your bro wanting to drive it...ask him if he doesn't mind you sleeping with his girl/wife as an exchange? If he says yes, then throw him the keys in exchange for some condoms ...My point is, it's your car, you pay for it, you put gas in it, you wash it, maintain it..you are not obliged to let anyone drive your car.

Oh, quick Question. If your Mustang was so great, why did you sell it?
Old May 27, 2007, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

I hate hearing stories like this. Makes me so paranoid when I go to the track. I get the thought of braking my tcase and I end up granny shifting the whole way!