Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

best launch = cracked tranfer case

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2007, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1mpak7
hey yall, just made it down to the track for the first time with my evo, full exhaust, cams, intake work done, was ttp tuned, car was runnin terrible from the get go, best time i squeezed out was a 12.6, last run of the night, i decided to go all out, instead of launching from 4k rpms, or just letting it bounce off the fuel cut off, decide to launch from around 5k (anything lower and i was getting a mean front dig). well as the lights dropped it was probably closer to 6k it was dumped from, clutch is new, but was replaced with the oem exedy, tires are street, but decent, took off better than all my other passes, by 6k rpms or so into 1st, the tranny gave out and the engine rpms just bounced around the cut off, gettin the car to the end of the track, i noticed the mph was moving with the rpms, though the car wasnt..... looked underneath to find the transfer case was cracked, about 2inches long half and inch wide, fluid was obviously leaking, and i could see the gears inside. my question is.... hours of labor needed to repair ? some details of what has to be pulled off ? it possible it twisted the case enough to crack it? if not what else ? and cost of the replacement part. im assuming its the transfer case...case (gears maybe alright?), im not an auto mech, so if im off a bit plz cut some slack

thx for the help, and for any input

on a side note. there were 2 other evos at the track that day, a white IX that did the same thing or close, and a red VIII? that (according to him) threw off the intercooler pipeing, 2/3 rode home on flatbeds *bows his head* fuggin shame
just sell your car......u should dump the clutch in an evo...u dont deserve one
Old May 27, 2007, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cssaddictm4
+1 @ icantdrive75

I go into 2step at 6500rpms and build 15psi boost before I either drop or slip the clutch. I dropped the clutch many times with tire spin everytime...It depends a lot on tire pressure as well. On the other hand slipping the clutch yielded better ETs.

Its your tc not mine.

I rather abuse my clutch than take the chance of snapping drivetrain parts.
Old May 27, 2007, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

because im assuming he was referring to the police.... u know how much a display of power ticket runs ? even tag on a racing ticket, and even tag on the insurance jump, still cheaper than what ima have to dish out, as far as im concerned call it what u want but 2nd gear roll racing seems more practical for the guy who cant afford tossin 10k into a 34k car, to make it capable of covering ur foot errors on the track.
Yeah, as a matter of fact I just finished winning a 6 month ongoing court battle with four officers over my street racing ticket, total cost to me 1200 dollars. If you think I would rather **** 1200 dollars on NOTHING AT ALL, than 2700 on a fully built nearly indestructable transfer case, I will laugh in your face. If someone want to street race with me, there coming out the hole, or were going to the track. Sorry its not worth it, unless your really trying to prove a point, or make some money.
Old May 27, 2007, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

new transfer case would be over 1500. hopefully you didnt break any other drivetrain parts. what clutch do you have?
Old May 27, 2007, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no no no, gears arent hanging out, or i wouldnt have said, gears maybe alright in my first post :P, i said i can see em inside the case, and thats cause the crack is 2in long 1/2in wide, and 2 stepping the clutch/feathering is kinda like giving the advice to a guy wrapped around a tree.... you shouldve braked more, i prolly shouldve upgraded the m/mounts and beefed the tranny up 2

obvious

if ive learned anything about the evo..... one bad launch can costs u thousands..... yet still everytime i go to the track i catch shlt from everyone i know,,, who throws a fit when i wont let em drive.

1st bad launch (was feathered, one finger on the ball pulled it outta gear at redline due to g-force) = new clutch and f/w $1.5k
2nd bad launch (2 hard) = new transfer case 2-3k$

both couldve been avoided

i really hate to say this yall, i miss my $12,000 '00 mustang gt.... shouldve dropped the 5k and had it supercharged, this car is costing me more in repairs than it wouldve to have just bumped up the parts in the first place, someone will post "OF COURSE", yet i bet theres somethin on ur car right now that could do with an upgrade..... and u dont wanna/dont have the $ to spend, yet u still race, the stang may have been a pooch but it was a tank,,,, dunno what made me think faster and less reliable was an upgrade, guess faster always feels like an uprgrade, but id rather be runnin low 13's and drive my car home from the track

the evo is a great car, but do i want to own somethin i cant ever let my brother borrow in fear itll come back in 36 pieces after doing somethin a 30k sports car should be able to do? somethin that 1 slip of the foot from a launch can cost me
3k, u can talk about upgrading and u can talk about technique and u can talk about how many times uve ran ur car and never had a problem, but bottom line is u take an evo off the showroom (never been here and read this, or know all that much about awd), the first stoplight u hit u, u rev it up to the launch limit and dump the clutch ur running a dam good risk of gettin out and pushing it across the intersection, and that my friends is DUMB

u know how many sets of tires youll go thru b4 u have to replace the clutch/drivetrain in (for example) an 06 mustang gt ? youll have more fun doin it 2
Posts like this won't get you much love on this site.....but I agree 100% AWD is a double edged sword...for every 1-2 that made 100 passes and all is welll there are 10 with broken clutches, TC's, diffs, etc. Reminds me alot of rotary engines in a way had one of those too and don't even get me started on those POS. AWD drivetrains were the whole reason I left the DSM world back in the day and moved on to mustangs. For me my Mustang experiences were they are dead on reliable........ I took a break from cars for a couple of years and when the EVO was launched and I saw Buschur run 10's AMS run 10's Al etc on stock drivetrains..sans clutch I was impressed. When TRE said how much better the drivetrain trans/TC specifically were so much better than the DSM's of old I was impressed. The 4cyl turbo power was calling me back at the same time many 35R cars were coming around and I was impressed again and decided I had to take the plunge and buy one. I do not regret it one bit. Of course now that many more cars have been modded we are starting to see that these drivetrains require a TLC touch too. There is no upgrade that makes you or at least me feel like your not a couple launches away from thousands of dollars. I still don't like the idea of 3-4k clutches only last 50-60 launches either but that is another story.

Shortly after buying the EVO I was close to selling it for another Cobra or even better a Viper. The import bug had worn off and turbokits became plentiful for the Cobra 700-800whp on stock blocks with 9 second time slips were calling my name. The TT Viper dominance was emailing me too and I thought why even play around with these other cars just go straight to the Viper. After a few life changes though it was clear the Viper would have to be put on hold until further notice and Cobras were starting to pop engines here and there, IRS fixes that worked at the 600whp level were failing at the 750whp level, in a nutshell cobras started to cost money too...some of them big money. So, here I am down the road and have fully embraced the AWD drivetrain both good/bad. EVOs are a special car and the recipe for fast 1/4 times and T/A times are becoming readily reproducable especially through certain shops....you can check other posts to see my favorite performance/$$ shop**REHCSUB*

Good luck with your decision I've definately been there. One thing that helps immensely is I have a DD "Work car" a 37mpg Saturn ION the EVO just get's spirited or weekend duty. The EVO is a great car that offers many features that "Sports Cars" don't. That's what makes the EVO special. Nothing wrong with a Vette, Stang, or a Viper though GL again.

Last edited by Jasil; May 27, 2007 at 01:48 PM.
Old May 27, 2007, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by KartaRailed
Yeah, as a matter of fact I just finished winning a 6 month ongoing court battle with four officers over my street racing ticket, total cost to me 1200 dollars. If you think I would rather **** 1200 dollars on NOTHING AT ALL, than 2700 on a fully built nearly indestructable transfer case, I will laugh in your face. If someone want to street race with me, there coming out the hole, or were going to the track. Sorry its not worth it, unless your really trying to prove a point, or make some money.

eh touche, was more of a joke, that and ur driving record holds a bit of weight with the insurance company, keep it on the track, but a 2nd gear roll on the street is fun 2 and easier on the d/t

Last edited by 1mpak7; May 27, 2007 at 03:10 PM.
Old May 27, 2007, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jasil
Posts like this won't get you much love on this site.....but I agree 100% AWD is a double edged sword...for every 1-2 that made 100 passes and all is welll there are 10 with broken clutches, TC's, diffs, etc. Reminds me alot of rotary engines in a way had one of those too and don't even get me started on those POS. AWD drivetrains were the whole reason I left the DSM world back in the day and moved on to mustangs. For me my Mustang experiences were they are dead on reliable........ I took a break from cars for a couple of years and when the EVO was launched and I saw Buschur run 10's AMS run 10's Al etc on stock drivetrains..sans clutch I was impressed. When TRE said how much better the drivetrain trans/TC specifically were so much better than the DSM's of old I was impressed. The 4cyl turbo power was calling me back at the same time many 35R cars were coming around and I was impressed again and decided I had to take the plunge and buy one. I do not regret it one bit. Of course now that many more cars have been modded we are starting to see that these drivetrains require a TLC touch too. There is no upgrade that makes you or at least me feel like your not a couple launches away from thousands of dollars. I still don't like the idea of 3-4k clutches only last 50-60 launches either but that is another story.

Shortly after buying the EVO I was close to selling it for another Cobra or even better a Viper. The import bug had worn off and turbokits became plentiful for the Cobra 700-800whp on stock blocks with 9 second time slips were calling my name. The TT Viper dominance was emailing me too and I thought why even play around with these other cars just go straight to the Viper. After a few life changes though it was clear the Viper would have to be put on hold until further notice and Cobras were starting to pop engines here and there, IRS fixes that worked at the 600whp level were failing at the 750whp level, in a nutshell cobras started to cost money too...some of them big money. So, here I am down the road and have fully embraced the AWD drivetrain both good/bad. EVOs are a special car and the recipe for fast 1/4 times and T/A times are becoming readily reproducable especially through certain shops....you can check other posts to see my favorite performance/$$ shop**REHCSUB*

Good luck with your decision I've definately been there. One thing that helps immensely is I have a DD "Work car" a 37mpg Saturn ION the EVO just get's spirited or weekend duty. The EVO is a great car that offers many features that "Sports Cars" don't. That's what makes the EVO special. Nothing wrong with a Vette, Stang, or a Viper though GL again.
the evo was and still is the car that gets the most respect from me, sports cars are sports cars until u drive an evo, what pushes me away is what drew me in, the complex drivetrain, i guess theres just something more soothing being passed by an evo feeling your car loose traction, than being in one winning and feeling it fall apart

the sound my car made b4 it stopped moving i would never want 2 hear twice,

even now im debating pouring the money in
Old May 27, 2007, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by EVOL2003
just sell your car......u should dump the clutch in an evo...u dont deserve one

no i think the insult your looking for is i cant afford one, which maybe true if the pos costs 5k a month in repairs

wi, eyyyy ? i know u ??
Old May 27, 2007, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

eh touche, was more of a joke, that and ur driving record holds a bit of weight with the insurance company, keep it on the track, but a 2nd gear roll on the street is fun 2 and easier on the d/t
True, that would be why I fight nail and tooth to get everything thrown out of court. I have over 12 moving violations or worse, and have never been convicted of a single charge.
Old May 27, 2007, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

was that ttp tune for 110? or did you add some fuel and turn up the boost?

if the latter, that may be the reason you were having such poor ET's???
Old May 27, 2007, 04:35 PM

just added an equal amount of 110 and turned the boost from 22-25, was tuned on pump gas im assuming, to be honest was tuned b4 i bought it, dunno what they tuned it for
Old May 27, 2007, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Evoryder
It's part of the game...u put a ton of power in any car and you don't upgrade EXPECT STUFF TO BREAK...evo is not bullet proof, but if don't calm down and learn the basics then you'll be maxing out your card trying to stay afloat...

No sympathy for you, you live and learn...Evo is a much better car than a mustang GT supercharged...you're upset because your baby is hurt...it happens, will u be talking the same smack when your Evo is back on the streets better than before?

As far as your bro wanting to drive it...ask him if he doesn't mind you sleeping with his girl/wife as an exchange? If he says yes, then throw him the keys in exchange for some condoms ...My point is, it's your car, you pay for it, you put gas in it, you wash it, maintain it..you are not obliged to let anyone drive your car.

Oh, quick Question. If your Mustang was so great, why did you sell it?

lol ^^^ now that is fking good advice

im goin on record here, everyone petrified of wrecking their evos lol, this was *everyone nods* my fault, my foot work is fast, not skilled

i just said i missed the ole girl, didnt say i wanted to take her back, the new stangs look fun ... and cheap
Old May 27, 2007, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You do this at GLD or Kakauna?
Old May 27, 2007, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, a GT 500 that was trying to make a point with me the other day, looked really good in my rear view mirror.
Old May 27, 2007, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by laakness
You do this at GLD or Kakauna?
gld,, i got the whole thing on tape, ill post it up soon as i get it digitized, i even managed to hit the blinker, it was pretty violent in the car lol... what can i say it got out of hand, it only moves about 10 inches then crawls isnt that exciting but ill link it, guess its intresting if u want to see 2k spent in .447 secs