Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

best launch = cracked tranfer case

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2007, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best launch = cracked transfer case

hey yall, just made it down to the track for the first time with my evo, full exhaust, cams, intake work done, was ttp tuned, car was runnin terrible from the get go, best time i squeezed out was a 12.6, last run of the night, i decided to go all out, instead of launching from 4k rpms, or just letting it bounce off the fuel cut off, decide to launch from around 5k (anything lower and i was getting a mean front dig). well as the lights dropped it was probably closer to 6k it was dumped from, clutch is new, but was replaced with the oem exedy, tires are street, but decent, took off better than all my other passes, by 6k rpms or so into 1st, the tranny gave out and the engine rpms just bounced around the cut off, gettin the car to the end of the track, i noticed the mph was moving with the rpms, though the car wasnt..... looked underneath to find the transfer case was cracked, about 2inches long half and inch wide, fluid was obviously leaking, and i could see the gears inside. my question is.... hours of labor needed to repair ? some details of what has to be pulled off ? it possible it twisted the case enough to crack it? if not what else ? and cost of the replacement part. im assuming its the transfer case...case (gears maybe alright?), im not an auto mech, so if im off a bit plz cut some slack

thx for the help, and for any input

on a side note. there were 2 other evos at the track that day, a white IX that did the same thing or close, and a red VIII? that (according to him) threw off the intercooler pipeing, 2/3 rode home on flatbeds *bows his head* fuggin shame

Last edited by 1mpak7; May 26, 2007 at 10:12 PM.
Old May 26, 2007, 01:14 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Time for a new transfer case! If you're lucky you didn't damage anything else.

Dropping the tcase of is easy, if the crack is small enough it might be weldable?
Old May 26, 2007, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by scheides
Time for a new transfer case! If you're lucky you didn't damage anything else.

Dropping the tcase of is easy, if the crack is small enough it might be weldable?
If he welds it I think the gears might still be messed up and/or stripped...
Old May 26, 2007, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

6k clutch dump + sticky track + AWD = broken drivetrain parts.
Old May 26, 2007, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
new TC needed. (he could see his gears)

Get a new one from either, shep(give them your core) dealer(probably a million dollars) Lancershop sells them, or maybe you can look in the For sale thread for people that have used TC's..

I suggest get a used one off an 05 evo...and get it upgraded.

New clutches grab really hard...remember, better to spin than yank..the shock is what destroys the drive train.

My guesstimation if you get a great deal, plus upgrade the TC ....$2500-3500 and you'll be back on the road
Old May 26, 2007, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

why did you dump it in the first place?you know you have to ride the clutch a lil bit...oh a rebuilt t case will cost around 1700..and a brand new one 4400
Old May 26, 2007, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by SteelEvo
why did you dump it in the first place?you know you have to ride the clutch a lil bit...oh a rebuilt t case will cost around 1700..and a brand new one 4400

oem transfer case new is 2300 on lancershop... gonna price check for a bit, see what i can dig up used,

^^ dunno why i dumped it, costly mistake i guess, was running 110 race fuel and 25psi, with the mods on the car, felt is was capable of a decent amount more than 12.6, and as to why i didnt feather it, dunno, this oem exedy i had installed doesnt like to be feathered, just jerks the car back and fourth and to be honest felt harder on it than just lettin the tires spin a bit, course a track is diff... u live you learn you upgrade or u quit
Old May 26, 2007, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
while u have it out mind as well go with a sheptrans case. here is the site check it out

http://www.sheptrans.com/stages.php?vid=evo
Old May 26, 2007, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thatguy
6k clutch dump + sticky track + AWD = broken drivetrain parts.
I've yet to have an issue. That said, Shep anythings are the best you can get. Spend the extra money, you'll be glad you did.
Old May 26, 2007, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Should have slipped the clutch man. Never dump it. That's how you break things. The schock just kills it.
Old May 26, 2007, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1mpak7
hey yall, just made it down to the track for the first time with my evo, full exhaust, cams, intake work done, was ttp tuned, car was runnin terrible from the get go, best time i squeezed out was a 12.6, last run of the night, i decided to go all out, instead of launching from 4k rpms, or just letting it bounce off the fuel cut off, decide to launch from around 5k (anything lower and i was getting a mean front dig). well as the lights dropped it was probably closer to 6k it was dumped from, clutch is new, but was replaced with the oem exedy, tires are street, but decent, took off better than all my other passes, by 6k rpms or so into 1st, the tranny gave out and the engine rpms just bounced around the cut off, gettin the car to the end of the track, i noticed the mph was moving with the rpms, though the car wasnt..... looked underneath to find the transfer case was cracked, about 2inches long half and inch wide, fluid was obviously leaking, and i could see the gears inside. my question is.... hours of labor needed to repair ? some details of what has to be pulled off ? it possible it twisted the case enough to crack it? if not what else ? and cost of the replacement part. im assuming its the transfer case...case (gears maybe alright?), im not an auto mech, so if im off a bit plz cut some slack

on a side note. there were 2 other evos at the track that day, a white VIII that blew his motor, and a red VIII that (according to him) threw off the intercooler pipeing, 3/3 rode home on flatbeds *bows his head* fuggin shame
It was a White IX that was flatbeded. It was my brothers car and we are thinking he broke the t-case/trans like you did. He didn't blow his motor. Sorry you had a bad day like him.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=273212
Old May 26, 2007, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You ought to look into some motor mounts to avoid the flex that caused the crack...did the same thing in an SE-R.. They are cheap insurance and will likely avoid this issue in the future..
Old May 26, 2007, 07:28 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 1mpak7

on a side note. there were 2 other evos at the track that day, a white VIII that blew his motor, and a red VIII that (according to him) threw off the intercooler pipeing, 3/3 rode home on flatbeds *bows his head* fuggin shame
This is the BIGGEST reason why I stick to 2nd gear roll racing!
Its better for your car
Its just as exciting, and risky
your not gunna win them all, so it makes it fun

Just be safe
Old May 26, 2007, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by APEX1
Its better for your car

Just be safe
too bad you cant 2nd gear roll race at a track.. LOL
Old May 26, 2007, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by APEX1
Its better for your car

Just be safe
Yeah too bad there's not one situation in which a race from a 2nd gear roll could possibly be constituted as legal... unless of course you're on some huge property that you own.