Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

76mm/3 in o2 housing?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2007, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kimletrim
I agree with you, 3 inch is not necessary, even for exhuast piping as there have been plenty of cars with less than 3 inch piping that make great power. But the fact remains that people are still looking for the largest piping possible, even it is beyong their power needs. Just look at all the popular catback systems and inquiries about whether or not they taper to less than 3 inches.

Just because there are other products that are less expensive and make more power than another product does not make that other product obsolete. Just look at ARC, JUN, etc. Your mentality would only limit the choices of upgrades to just one. Choice is always good.

Catbacks and 02 housings are different. 3" catbacks are necessary. 3" 02s are not. Choice is good, but choices become obsolete when you have to pay more for less.

ARC is overhyped and overpriced. None of their products provide additional anything over the competition. It is for JDM boners who like to spend money and say they have "ARC". They make nice heat shields and radiator shrouds. That stuff is for the guys that like to win car show contests and thats great, but this is a performance section. That sort of talk can go into Show n Shine.
Old May 30, 2007, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
You have to extend the 02 sensor harness to install it. That makes it junk in my book. Oh and it makes less power and costs more than the Ebay unit. Wow, what a great peice.
you can put in about 50 bucks (this is an overestimate) and get it made right. someone did it searhc.
Old May 30, 2007, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
you can put in about 50 bucks (this is an overestimate) and get it made right. someone did it searhc.
Yeah... another $50 into an already expensive peice just to make it fit. Eh, I think Il spend $80
Old May 31, 2007, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
Catbacks and 02 housings are different. 3" catbacks are necessary. 3" 02s are not. Choice is good, but choices become obsolete when you have to pay more for less.

ARC is overhyped and overpriced. None of their products provide additional anything over the competition. It is for JDM boners who like to spend money and say they have "ARC". They make nice heat shields and radiator shrouds. That stuff is for the guys that like to win car show contests and thats great, but this is a performance section. That sort of talk can go into Show n Shine.
If you did a bit more research, you would realize that 3" catbacks are not "necessary".

And as for your comment about ARC (which you singled out), that **** still sells even they are overpriced and provide nothing over the competition. Your statement only proves my point.
Old May 31, 2007, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kimletrim
If you did a bit more research, you would realize that 3" catbacks are not "necessary".

And as for your comment about ARC (which you singled out), that **** still sells even they are overpriced and provide nothing over the competition. Your statement only proves my point.
It wasnt my intention to discredit anything you said. I agree with almost everything you said except for some small things. Also, I believe DB did testing with 2.5 exhausts and they lost power compared to the 3." I singled out ARC just because their prices are so absurd it makes you wonder who is actually buying that sort of thing. Yes people still buy it, thats great. If youre into "show and go" I guess thats whats hot.
Old May 31, 2007, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Barret006,

Take advantage of the situation, read my response. I was once on the waiting list for the Works 02 housing.

I recall first buying the Works Downpipe for my Evo 8 MR (isn't that in fact the same downpipe you have?) , remember that was my first mod.

Then after 14 long month of *** teasing from Work racing they finally released the 02 housing for an astonishing price of $419 but they were "kind" to sell it to me for $409 due to the fact that I was on the waiting list for over a year.

Remember, this was back in the day perhaps the most wanted mod every Evo owner wanted.

Anyway, the Works o2 hosuing is advertized as a 3" o3 housing but in reality the inside diameter is a 2.65". Here I have a post that show some pictures when I did a review on it.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=200955

Don't get me wrong, Work does a excellent job on their parts and they do have a great customer service but this particular part is waaaayyyyy overpriced.

Dyno results showed basicly no improvement. I honestly think the 02 housing from work is a heck of a nice 02 housing, perhaps the strongest inquality but the downside is the price.

Please diviate you fundings for a much better performance per dollar mod. For $450 you can have a full progressive alcohol kit and they both take the same time to install, perhaps the alcohol kit is easier if you ask me.

Remember, as pointed out by other knowledgeable members like Warrtalon, $450 can get you very far for all for the same price(alcohol kit, cams, tuning).

You other option is to get a differen brand o2 housing, TTP has a smoking deal on them but I still can't answer the question of fittment.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; May 31, 2007 at 05:56 PM.