Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Issues with Greddy Ti fitment...advice welcome

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2007, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Issues with Greddy Ti fitment...advice welcome

I still don't understand it guys.....help me figure this out.....I know I have spent at least 4 hours trying to redo it and adjust it....nothing works.....look how much room I have on the drivers side comapred to all these other guys who say it is almost touching this shield

So yah instead of my midpipe being toward the drivers side or down the middle mine is as far right as it goes and it hits every piece of the heatshield on the passenger side ....so......yah......rather annoying.....and if you look at the downpipe it looks fine....I mean this was no cheapo 100 dollar DP this is the GARAGE HRS DP....so only thing I can think of is rewelding the HFC so that it angles the midpipe more down the middle...but i dont know if thats gonna work either.....arghhh
Old May 27, 2007, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have you tried bending the exhaust hangers??? is the downpipe a new mod with the exhaust or did you have it installed with another exhaust previously??
Old May 27, 2007, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

these are all new mods...and even with the stock cat and dp it was fitting like this
Old May 28, 2007, 04:40 AM
Evolved Member

damn man cant say i had that problem at all
mine fitted like a dream as still have my cat and stock downpipe in place

don't know what else to tell you
i hop you come right
Old May 28, 2007, 05:05 AM
Evolving Member

This might be a dumb question but can you rotate the midsection pipe (cat to axle)180 degrees? Will the bolts only line up in the shown configuration? From the pics I can't tell if there are any bends that would prevent you from doing that. Not sure if that would do anything but just an idea.
Old May 28, 2007, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think it's the DP location, fitment and wrongly clocked flange pulling the catback off line. Did you weld that cross brace onto the DP, or did it come that way? Also it looks to me like your O2 bung is located too far horizontal.

Last edited by sparky; May 28, 2007 at 05:32 AM.
Old May 28, 2007, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Say, since you are in The City, why not call Works and schedule an appointment to have them put your car up on the lift and get their opinion. There are some other good shops down the Penninsula and in the East Bay as well.

That picture really shows the exhaust pulled way off center. You may need some experienced(Evo experience) installer to look at that for you. In the East Bay you've got Gruppe-S, Speed Source, and others. Did you buy your exhaust components locally?
Old May 28, 2007, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

So what would happen if you were to remove all hangers on the passenger side? Does the exhaust then align itself over toward the driver's side? If so, then you can get some Kartboy Urethane hangers, which have a really high durometer rating and almost no give whatsoever.

Use the original flabby factory hangers all on the passenger side of your exhaust while using the shorter stiffer Kartboys exclusively on the driver's side of your DP and exhaust. Placing the Kartboys on the side opposite, away from the rubbing, should pull the exhaust centerline more toward the diver's side of the car.

Other than that, It looks to me, at least from the pictures that the mounting flange/DP weld location is a bit off and is pulling the DP off center. At any rate they may have to break that weld and relocate the weld point a bit more to the passenger side along the mounting bracket, and then reweld it.

Last edited by sparky; May 28, 2007 at 06:48 AM.
Old May 28, 2007, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

The more I think about it, what you need to determine is what is causing the misalignment of your exhaust system which is composed of three main components: 1) DP, 2) Cat, 3) CatBack.

Most likely one of these 3 components is causing the problem due to poor location of flanges or welds, etc. during fabrication. So, you need to isolate which one of these 3 components is the culprit.

To eliminate the HF cat from the equation for the time being, why don't you replace it with the stock cat, which both your aftermarket DP's flange and the Ti's flange should align with perfectly. Mount the stock cat in it's stock location via the factory hangers, just don't connect it to the DP flange. At this point with the catback exhaust hanging freely does the catback exhaust align perfectly with the bumper exit and rear hangers? Moving forward: does the Ti's flange mate perfectly to the factory cat in its stock location?

If the Ti and the factory cat mate perfectly, hang on center, and do not make side-to-side contact with heatshields and etc., then the problem lies with the DP, your HF cat, or the O2 housing, if you have an aftermarket one.

Last edited by sparky; May 28, 2007 at 07:10 AM.
Old May 28, 2007, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

I run a Magnaflow Ti which I think is almost identical to your Greddy. I had a similar problem to the one you are experiencing because I used a DP designed for earlier USDM Evos w/o the ACD and my car has ACD. Anyway, I had really similar fitment problems.

It may well be that your DP is for an ACD car or vice-versa, in which case the incorrect DP throws the rest of the exhaust system off line.
Old May 28, 2007, 07:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Man, I think it's your downpipe. Mine fit lots better than yours. Have you tried putting your stock downpipe back on to see if it fits better? That;s what I would do. The pipes are so over to one side...sorry you're having this issue dude...wish I could help out..more....
If it was fitting like this before the Greddy Ti then the Down pipe has to be the issue...do you still have the stock DP? One last thing you could try after re-looking at your pics. I see that you could un-do the hangers at the Down Pipe, leave them off for now, the pipe will hold on top of the cross brace, but just for the sake if it fits better take off the hangers of the DP and see if the system lines up better, if so then the hanger placement on the DP is the culprit...keep us posted...if this is the case you could rig something up until you could get it welded up right, they could cut and reweld the hanger rod that I see is attached to the DP. I've never seen a DP with hangers like that.
Old May 28, 2007, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

I agree in that it looks like the downpipe is the culprit.
Old May 28, 2007, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

sell it and buy another exhaust.
Old May 28, 2007, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

The exhaust was sitting like this even with the stock cat and dp. I undid all the bolts from the DP back and readjusted it again. None of these hangers were ever bent and the HRS DP came with those hangers in that position.

If you look closer at the DP picture the DP was pulled to the passenger side. So I pulled it more toward the middle and that actually helped a bit. I think the problem was when I was installing everything I wasn't paying attention because I just wanted to finish it and was tired of being on my garage floor . I didn't realize how little clearance there is on everything when the pipes are this big.

The DP is hard to position in a place where it is not too close to the ACD. Now none of the heat shields are hitting either. So I guess I can live with it the way it is for now. I think the flange of the HFC was welded a little angled and that made the fitment worse.
Old May 28, 2007, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

If that doesn't end up working, get a different downpipe.

Quick Reply: Issues with Greddy Ti fitment...advice welcome