Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Kelford IX Cams

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2007, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kelford IX Cams

Just wondering if anyone is using them and what kind of power did they make? How do you like them? Whats the idle like? which ones did you get? im looking at the 272's
Old May 30, 2007, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Someone has to have a set of these.....or at least heard how they do.
Old May 30, 2007, 11:43 AM

Bump for the same question???
Old May 30, 2007, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

just wondering if you are considering hks or gsc cams as well. been reading good things about the gsc, esp. in midrange power.
Old May 30, 2007, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have their Evo8 cams and they are very well made and make great power.
Their 9 cams should be great and as far as Im aware they make E9 cams for some US companies.
Old May 31, 2007, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by qwon526
just wondering if you are considering hks or gsc cams as well. been reading good things about the gsc, esp. in midrange power.
yes i've considerd them, but no one that i'm aware of really makes an outstanding cam for the evo ix. thats why i wanted to try these.
Old May 31, 2007, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

I think kelford makes the cams for GSC according to GSC specs.

The stock ix cams are pretty good for the stock turbo BUT if you want more midrange tq. and 15whp then swap them out, don't expect gains huge gains like the evo 8 b/c its not going to happen.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 01:02 AM

I have various different dyno graphs from customers. the smallest cams are +30kw bolt in no mods on a stock engine that allready had a reasonable exhaust and the power comes in better. have seen over 60kw gain on 272's with turbo's up around 35r sizing, we are almost up to 1000 sets sold..
Old Jun 26, 2008, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Can the Kelford IX 272 cams be run with the stock springs/retainers?
Old Jun 26, 2008, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

The 272's from Kelford, GSC and FP are nearly IDENTICAL on the intakes. The Exhausts are only slightly different. If you do some research, you'll find that this is true. Regardless of recent dyno tests, the specs prove this out. There's very, very little difference between the 3 cam sets. I've also had the FP 4Rs and my JUN 272's compared. The 4's are nearly identical to the JUN's profile, with exception of the lift. The 4's have more lift and of course duration at higher lifts. Certainly a lot more from .300" of lift. I wouldn't rely on a single dyno test. Different setups will yield dramatically different results.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

I was comparing the manufacturer posted specs on the FP 4R's and the Kelford 272's earlier this morning and you are right, they are nearly identical on the intake side with the Kelfords being slightly more aggressive on the exhaust side. Since the 4R's can run stock valve springs does that mean the Kelford 272's can too?
Old Jun 26, 2008, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not too sure about Kelfords recommendations, but I've studied the FP cams and comparisons enough to know that the FP4Rs give slightly better 'ramp up' on the intakes, which gives a little longer duration at same lift over the Kelfords. They FP's also should be easier on the valves on closing, due to the closing speed. The valves should close in a more 'gentle' fashion. I would imagine that the Kelford's would work with stock valvetrain, since the FP's certainly will and they're very similar profiles.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

In your opinion, which is the better cam for a daily-driven stock turbo IX?
Old Jun 26, 2008, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

MY OPINION is not based on any results I've seen, since I'm just now in the process of changing my cams from the JUN272's to the FP's. But, my opinion is: if it's a daily driver, I would look at ease on the valvetrain first, provided the cams considered were of reasonably equal performance. I spent time with FP's engineer and can assure you that the FP was designed for being easy on the valves. Statistics and graphs that I myself have reviewed shows that the goal of closing the valves in a softer manner, while at the same time slightly beating the rampup on the intake cam, were met by FP. By no means, am I saying that there is significant differences in the 3 cams, Kelford, GSC, FP. My point is that none of these cams are significantly better than the others. My choice (admittedly maybe biased due to my sponsorship) would be to go with the FP4R's for daily driving. The unquestionable ease on the valve train at closing would be the deciding factor. The difference in the exhaust cams MAY give slightly better exhaust characteristics on the GSC/KELFORD's, but that too is an unknown, since even those cams are very close to each other. I have no obligation whatsoever to run FP cams. That's totally my choice. It's just that when I make a decision, I like to do it with facts. I've studied the facts and what I've stated above was based on my own study. Hope this helps. None of the choices above are bad. With that in mind, it just comes down to what you individually are comfortable with using. If you want to use stock valvetrain, I would do all I could to operate within the stock valvetrain's limitations.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 09:48 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice posts, 9sec9.

Quick Reply: Kelford IX Cams