Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

RMR or WORKS reflash?? Anyone install yet?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2003, 05:29 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Zeus

You forgot about the stock timing curve... lacking to say the least. One can, of course, argue that there are people making big power without timing control... Bet you *** not one of them would turn down tuning their timing if they could.
You can tune A/F, knock signal, boost control, and timing with Vishnu's Xede.
Old Jun 21, 2003, 06:14 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SAFC was in question
Old Jun 21, 2003, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

So....getting back to the topic....has anyone installed one of these puppies yet?? If so, any *** or real dyno results?
Old Jun 22, 2003, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Daveyd
So....getting back to the topic....has anyone installed one of these puppies yet?? If so, any *** or real dyno results?
I e-mailed RMR about the reflash. I'll try to get their cat-back exhaust and some type of air filter. If everything goes within my budget, I'll definitely get them done this week.
Old Jun 22, 2003, 04:00 AM
Evolving Member

RMR *** results: very positive. Pulls much stronger all the way to redline. SEG nice ($hit Eating Grin). Plan on getting a downpipe, and probably the intake as well to pull the numbers they advertise (~280 at the wheels).

-Josh
Old Jun 22, 2003, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

bump...for ****s and giggles
Old Jun 22, 2003, 06:27 PM

I'm sending my ECU to WORKS for a reflash tomorrow. Will post results when I get it back. Surely I'm not the first, though. Where are all of the other WORKS re-flashers? Perhaps having too much fun driving to check the boards...
Old Jun 22, 2003, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Show use a picture of were the ecu is at , and how to remove it please.
Old Jun 22, 2003, 06:58 PM

No digital camera, but the ECU is behind the glove box. WORKS has a pdf of the removal, if you want to contact them. Or I could email it to you if you pm me.
Old Jun 22, 2003, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Like Hedonic Tread, I am planning on sending my ECU off to Works tomorrow, and am going for the 93 octane re-flash.

The way I look at it, even the 91 octane Works re-flash nets an increase of close to 30 whp which puts a stock US EVO VIII on similar ground powerwise with the EVO FQ300. Hopefully the 93 octane map will net another 6-10 whp. Thats a hell of a deal for $404.10 I think, especially when you consider the fact that the car will appear bone stock with just that mod alone.

The fact that Works can't guarantee results with other tuners parts seems reasonable to me.I know that it is likely that "similar" parts will net "similar" results, its just that Works isn't going to Dyno test every option out there. Instead they are going for the 1 tuner package approach.

Dinan has been following this course of logic for many years when tuning BMW's. They have created a "dealer approved" methodology which balances tuning for more power, with solid reliability in their parts and kits.

I think that the Works upgrade path is going to make good sense for a lot of people who would be happy with custom tailored upgrade packages that work together to create an optimal, yet reasonably safe tuning option.

My .02, and you know I talk too much so I will shut-up and let you know what the car runs like when I get the reflash in later this week.;-)

JNR
Old Jun 22, 2003, 08:36 PM
Account Disabled

I know that it is still early in teh game but works should get more mods done to the ECU other then a timing curve. They should get Hello, I have just purchased a EVO VIII and am interested in you Re-flashed ECU. I was hoping that you would be able to incorporate some more support modifications I have become accustomed to with the DSM community that is offered this by other compainies.

Will you be able to?

1. Atleast a 19.5 PSI to the redline
2. A Higher redline, say 8000RPMS
3. A stallconverter that when at a stop, allows you to floor it and the revs hold constant at 5000 rpms or some other predetermined launch point so you can just floor it, and then slip the clutch, once under way this feature automatically cuts off.
4. Most importantly a powershift mod that WILL take up to a half second off your 1/4 mile time. You Floor it, hit redline to shift, but you keep your foot on the gas, once you depress the clutch, the rpms drop to a certain specified rpm point, like whatever 2nd gear hits when you are at wot, and then you let off the gas and bam, instant gear change with a perfect rev match.

This is perfect to have the revs drop as you shift and since you NEVER lift off the throttle, the turbo is CONSTANTLY spooled, hence more power and faster times.
5. Most importantly there is no way I could send you my ECU to be reworked, as my car is a daily driver, ut could you send me an ECU and I could send back the stock one once I recieved my package from you?

This is nothing new, it is offered on DSM's and I think If I am sending out my ECU, it should include each and every one of these mods.

Last edited by umiami80; Jun 22, 2003 at 08:56 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2003, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by N10S
Like Hedonic Tread, I am planning on sending my ECU off to Works tomorrow, and am going for the 93 octane re-flash.

The way I look at it, even the 91 octane Works re-flash nets an increase of close to 30 whp which puts a stock US EVO VIII on similar ground powerwise with the EVO FQ300. Hopefully the 93 octane map will net another 6-10 whp. Thats a hell of a deal for $404.10 I think, especially when you consider the fact that the car will appear bone stock with just that mod alone.

The fact that Works can't guarantee results with other tuners parts seems reasonable to me.I know that it is likely that "similar" parts will net "similar" results, its just that Works isn't going to Dyno test every option out there. Instead they are going for the 1 tuner package approach.

Dinan has been following this course of logic for many years when tuning BMW's. They have created a "dealer approved" methodology which balances tuning for more power, with solid reliability in their parts and kits.

I think that the Works upgrade path is going to make good sense for a lot of people who would be happy with custom tailored upgrade packages that work together to create an optimal, yet reasonably safe tuning option.

My .02, and you know I talk too much so I will shut-up and let you know what the car runs like when I get the reflash in later this week.;-)

JNR
Jeff .... thanks man. Look forward to hearing how it works out. As for myself, still trying to decide between the two ... but works is in the lead due to the 93 octane map avail. Hopefully I hear some feedback from others soon man .... I'm growing impatient -- ecu cut my fuel off tonight after I stomped er in 3rd gear & boost topped around 21 + psi with my HKS EVC set about 64% over stock. This is what my stock ecu looked like And I was thinking .... But still love er though
Old Jun 23, 2003, 04:19 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by evo1

Jeff .... thanks man. Look forward to hearing how it works out. As for myself, still trying to decide between the two ... but works is in the lead due to the 93 octane map avail. Hopefully I hear some feedback from others soon man .... I'm growing impatient -- ecu cut my fuel off tonight after I stomped er in 3rd gear & boost topped around 21 + psi with my HKS EVC set about 64% over stock. This is what my stock ecu looked like And I was thinking .... But still love er though

... i believe fuel cut is at 22psi... "I" wouldn't know...
Old Jun 23, 2003, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

evo1 - I hit fuel cut in my WRX once and it was like......OMG!!! I was running a bigger turbo and a grey market Pro-drive ECU which much to my surprise spiked to over 20 psi on my maiden run.

My car made and ugly stall almost throwing me into the steering wheel, then a pop noise. I about crapped my pants. After limping home I found my stock inlet hose had split at the turbo interface.
Needless to say I was pissed, but the engine was ok and the vendor made it right with the ECU.

Anyway I did get the ECU out today and sent it off to Works, so I should have it back by Thus/Fri and can hopefully report something soon.

Btw-the ECU removal is a snap. Works does have a pdf on instructions, but removal is fairly intuitive. Time to remove is about 10-15minutes including dropping the battery lead, and re-installing your glove box so your wife won't know your ECU is gone!;-)

JNR
Old Jun 23, 2003, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by N10S
evo1 - I hit fuel cut in my WRX once and it was like......OMG!!! I was running a bigger turbo and a grey market Pro-drive ECU which much to my surprise spiked to over 20 psi on my maiden run.

My car made and ugly stall almost throwing me into the steering wheel, then a pop noise. I about crapped my pants. After limping home I found my stock inlet hose had split at the turbo interface.
Needless to say I was pissed, but the engine was ok and the vendor made it right with the ECU.

Anyway I did get the ECU out today and sent it off to Works, so I should have it back by Thus/Fri and can hopefully report something soon.

Btw-the ECU removal is a snap. Works does have a pdf on instructions, but removal is fairly intuitive. Time to remove is about 10-15minutes including dropping the battery lead, and re-installing your glove box so your wife won't know your ECU is gone!;-)

JNR

Clearly you are more mechanically inclined than I--took me 10 minutes just to figure out how to remove the glove box! Seriously, though, did you remove the bracket before sending it? That was the only part that was tough for me.

P.S. Won't your wife figure out something's up when you mysteriously can't drive the EVO until Thursday/Friday?