Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

RMR or WORKS reflash?? Anyone install yet?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2003, 05:05 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are these mods a possibility? I have driven an AWD DSM with these ECU mods and it just makes the car so much easier to driver faster.Will you be able to?

1. Atleast a 19.5 PSI to the redline
2. A Higher redline, say 8000RPMS
3. A stallconverter that when at a stop, allows you to floor it and the revs hold constant at 5000 rpms or some other predetermined launch point so you can just floor it, and then slip the clutch, once under way this feature automatically cuts off.
4. Most importantly a powershift mod that WILL take up to a half second off your 1/4 mile time. You Floor it, hit redline to shift, but you keep your foot on the gas, once you depress the clutch, the rpms drop to a certain specified rpm point, like whatever 2nd gear hits when you are at wot, and then you let off the gas and bam, instant gear change with a perfect rev match.

This is perfect to have the revs drop as you shift and since you NEVER lift off the throttle, the turbo is CONSTANTLY spooled, hence more power and faster times.
5. Most importantly there is no way I could send you my ECU to be reworked, as my car is a daily driver, ut could you send me an ECU and I could send back the stock one once I recieved my package from you?
Old Jun 23, 2003, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Hedonic Tread

Clearly you are more mechanically inclined than I--took me 10 minutes just to figure out how to remove the glove box! Seriously, though, did you remove the bracket before sending it? That was the only part that was tough for me.

P.S. Won't your wife figure out something's up when you mysteriously can't drive the EVO until Thursday/Friday?
The bracket stayed on. I started to get something to pry it off with, and then decided that I would just end-up marking it up, and gouging the plastic ECU case.

Its supposed to be hot tomorrow so I will be on the bike and later in the week the weather is supposed to be a bit iffy so I am just planning on driving my Syclone for the rest of the week.It helps to have extra vehicles for sure!

That wouldn't keep my wife from snooping around and seeing a big hole where the glove box is supposed to be though!

This way if she does try to start it for some reason, and it won't turn over, I'll use the old Chris Farley Tommy Boy line "What'd you do??!!".
Old Jun 24, 2003, 04:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by N10S
I'll use the old Chris Farley Tommy Boy line "What'd you do??!!".
Amen brotha! Hey make sure you pm me as soon as you can make a fair assessment. I plan to decide sometime next week. Oh and craz-e story bout' your WRX .... good nothing was seriously damaged but man it makes want to jump on an ecu tune fast.
Old Jun 24, 2003, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone yet?
Old Jun 24, 2003, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

I had the RMR reflash and it worked great for about 10 min. then i could only get 10 psi out of it.i reset it and the same thing happened again so i sent it back.Guess ill try the Works flash.
Old Jun 24, 2003, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

Bummer... Wonder what happened.
Old Jun 24, 2003, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

**** .. sounds like works for me
Old Jun 24, 2003, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

FWIW, we'll be offering an ECU reflashing service in the near future. Expect to see our AWD dyno facilities (in Pleasanton, CA) to offer custom EVO ECU remapping services-- as we have been doing for WRXs for quite some time. Mail order remaps to follow shortly once we've isolated all the least common denominators (which is going to be considerable considering the 30 wheel horsepower variance we've been recording among stock EVOs).

Cheers,
shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Jun 24, 2003 at 11:21 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 03:55 AM
Evolved Member

Cool, I'd love to see more dyno plots. Not really all that worried what the overall #'s are, just the amount of increase in HP / TQ.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up Had the RMR work done

I've had the RMR reflash (I live around the corner from the shop). My RMR intake and downpipe made 30 more whp. After the reflash it made another 30 whp. My baseline pull was 220 whp, now it makes 280. I drive my car daily - no sputtering, no overheating, no issues of any kind. I love it, especially when someone in a Vette tries to get frisky....

I am going back to get the exhaust done and hardpipe the intercooler. After talking to Rhys and the guys at the shop, they figure the added flow will get me close to 300 whp. Corrected, that's close to 350 hp. I can't complain.

As for the quality of the work, I am certain they will stand by their work. They've done all the installation so far and it is awesome. Like someone mentioned earlier, these guys have the most experience with turbo Lancers outside of Japan and England.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

One more thing - the reflash really opens up the torque numbers. If I remember correctly from the dyno sheet, the torque went up to something like 290 lb-ft at the wheels....

Kinda hard to screw up your launch when you have that pull...
Old Jun 25, 2003, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Hmmm... I'll have to hear the end to the 10 min ECU story before I send my ECU off to RMR
Old Jun 25, 2003, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by 3deep
I had the RMR reflash and it worked great for about 10 min. then i could only get 10 psi out of it.i reset it and the same thing happened again so i sent it back.Guess ill try the Works flash.
Sound like your stock BCS (boost control solenoid) is having problems. Either the ECU cant control it correctly, it's broken, or a vacuum line is busted. IS your check engine light coming on? If that's the case it's probably your evo in limp mode.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

RMR reflashed my ecu back to stock and the car runs perfect again.I get my 19psi dropping to 16psi at higher revs.Dont know why my car had problems but I hear Im not the only one.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

The question I would ask is: Are the problems car specific? If you go with Works, are you going to experience the same issue?

Sorry to hear that you had trouble though. Mine has worked well for me so far - no complaints and I've put on 500-600 miles since the flash. I hope you're able to either get a resolution from RMR, or get a Works flash, because whichever one you get, you're going to unleash the beast lurking beneath the Evo's orange-peeled surface.

-Josh