Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

RMR or WORKS reflash?? Anyone install yet?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2003, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Alfriedesq
Shiv - I read that quote before - and its my general thought always that the bigger the better for turbo cars.

Now that i have a 02 housing already made with 2.5" outlet - I will dyno it like that - - then fab up a 3" 02 housing and then i will be able - finally to do a side by side comparison to have some real dyno info on this subject

HKS must have some reason for staying with the smaller pipe
Are you talking about the turbo elbo?? (02 housing) what is the stock out let 2in 2.5??? And HKS made the smaller pipe to clear the tie bars with out having to shim them. That's why it such a odd size 2.65in. I feel the reason is because off cost more then anything else.

One ?? about the hks down pipe?? does it replace the cat or just up to the cat??

Eric
Old Jun 27, 2003, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Eric Lyublinsky

Are you talking about the turbo elbo?? (02 housing) what is the stock out let 2in 2.5??? And HKS made the smaller pipe to clear the tie bars with out having to shim them. That's why it such a odd size 2.65in. I feel the reason is because off cost more then anything else.

One ?? about the hks down pipe?? does it replace the cat or just up to the cat??

Eric
COST???? man - this HKS stuff is not cheap - I can't inamgine they did that for saving a few $$$'s - everything else in the kit is top of the line
Old Jun 27, 2003, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Eric
Dude HKS is NOT REALLY a company known for cutting corners and $ ... especially in a circumstance where the pipe would only cost a few $ more to make in larger diam anyway. Also, my HKS dp measures exactly 2.5" or 65mm on the inside (I suppose you are saying that it is 2.65" on the outside). So you believe they cut .35" to ensure that it cleared the lower tie bars? Doubt it when a few easy modification could have allowed a 3" dp to clear ... also if your theory holds true, then why does the HKS turbo kit come with a 3" DP Yes I was referring to the elbo .... sorry for lingo confustion. Yes stock turbo outlet is exactly 2", which is most likely the reason why the stock dp is 2". The stock cat is just under 2.5", as is the stock cat back. I plan to increase wheel hp to apoprox 320 (about 100hp higher than stock), so by retaining the stock turbo .... my receipe calls for my 2.5" downpipe/2.5 test-pipe or stock/high flo cat, and my 3" Thermal cat back (Thermal mid section tapers to 2.5" to connect properly with the stock cat).

Last edited by evo1; Jun 27, 2003 at 07:24 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

COST???? man - this HKS stuff is not cheap - I can't inamgine they did that for saving a few $$$'s - everything else in the kit is top of the line
Don't kid your self Al your brand name type of guy. I have installed a lot of hks stuff and even had there Carbon TI cat back on my wagon. There other exhaust hyper is made from mild steel and still asking high price. Don't get me wrong HKS stuff is nice but that are just like most companies and have to reduce cost for more profit. Look at there WRX down pipe design, and compare it to there turbo kits downpipe. Now Shiv stuff is very expensive, But the qulity and design is there. And you can consider Vishnu as a US JDM shop like Feast performance( Make some of the sickest cars around). Not for everyone, But if you want to be diffrant and can shell out the price to pay for some of the best qulity stuff out on the market then go for it. If you want HKS buy HKS. That's it. The only way you can really tell the real diffrance is if you compare it side by side.

I'm sure that other systems perform just like Vishnu. But the sound, fit and finish can not be compared. It's like comparing a Swatch to a Tag. Yes they both tell time but witch one would you rather have on you rist.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by evo1

Dude HKS is NOT REALLY a company known for cutting corners and $ ... especially in a circumstance where the pipe would only cost a few $ more to make in larger diam anyway. Also, my HKS dp measures exactly 2.5" or 65mm on the inside (I suppose you are saying that it is 2.65" on the outside). So you believe they cut .35" to ensure that it cleared the lower tie bars? Doubt it when a few easy modification could have allowed a 3" dp to clear ... also if your theory holds true, then why does the HKS turbo kit come with a 3" DP Yes I was referring to the elbo .... sorry for lingo confustion. Yes stock turbo outlet is exactly 2", which is most likely the reason why the stock dp is 2". The stock cat is just under 2.5", as is the stock cat back. I plan to increase wheel hp to apoprox 320 (about 100hp higher than stock), so by retaining the stock turbo .... my receipe calls for my 2.5" downpipe/2.5 test-pipe or stock/high flo cat, and my 3" Thermal cat back (Thermal mid section tapers to 2.5" to connect properly with the stock cat).
I think were are going to see some 3in elbos very soon. I got the 2.65 information from a Vendor. I did not varify it. With a true 3in turbo back exhaust with a 3in elbo the Turbo with the same set up will have more power and tq over the whole rev range then a set up with 2.5 even on a stock turbo.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

One ?? about the hks down pipe?? does it replace the cat or just up to the cat??Eric
HKS downpipe does not replace the cat, so ..... either the stock 2.5" cat can be retained or a 2.5" high flow cat or test pipe can be added.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

I think were are going to see some 3in elbos very soon
Is this possible if the stock turbo is retained? Who would (could) make something like this?

SHIV,

Is this something that you would be looking in to???
Old Jun 27, 2003, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Blitz makes a elbo for the MR2 so I sure there could be one fabed up to fit the factory turbo.

Eric
Old Jun 27, 2003, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Blitz makes a elbo for the MR2 so I sure there could be one fabed up to fit the factory turbo.

Eric
Yea but I don't think this is common and most evo owners won't go here ... in fact, those that are that serious would consider upgrading the entire turbo as well. My point was that we will not realize the full potential of a true 3" exhaust with minor mods (under 320 whp).

Eric ... you mentioned that you think HKS designed the evo dp 2.5" to cut costs and fit it under the stock tie bars. Were u aware that the evo downpipe in their 3037 Turbo kit is a larger, 3"? However, they do not sell it seperately. I asked tech support about this nomorous times while attempting to pry different answers & every time ..... they claimed that the 2.5" dp tested to make more power than the 3" until approx. 350whp is attained, and then 2.5" became a restriction. So if costs were the reason for a smaller dp, then why are they making 2 seperate diameter downpipes, and not just making 1, 3" dp for all applications? I do, however, second your comment about the HKS, WRX downpipe compared to Shiv's ... it was very "unlike" the usual HKS QUALITY. And as far as Vishnu products .... they are very nice but I still can't understsnd how ANY stainless system can cost as much as a full titanium system (JIC Magic, etc). Also, an hks carbon ti system is just as nice qaulity with a true JDM spec muffler, and it can be had for much less then the Vishnu with the Magnaflo. You cannot accurately say that Vishnu qaulity is much higher than respected names such as HKS, GReddy, Thermal, and JIC.

Last edited by evo1; Jun 27, 2003 at 10:15 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Yea but I don't think this is common and most evo owners won't go here ... in fact, those that are that serious would consider upgrading the turbo as well. My point was that we will not realize the full potential of a true 3" exhaust with minor mods (under 320 whp). Eric ... you mentioned that you think HKS designed the evo dp 2.5" to cut costs and fit it under the stock tie bars. Were u aware that the evo downpipe in their 3037 Turbo kit is a larger, 3"? However, they do not sell it seperately. I asked tech support about this nomorous times and they claim that the 2.5" tested to be more power until approx. 350whp is attained and then 2.5" becomes a restrictions. So if costs were the reason for a smaller dp, then why are they making 2, and not just making 1, 3" dp for all applications? I do, however, second your comment about the HKS, WRX downpipe compared to Shiv's ... it was very "unlike" the usual HKS QUALITY. And as far as Vishnu products .... they are very nice but I still can't understsnd how ANY stainless system can cost as much as a full titanium system. Also, an hks carbon ti system is just as nice qaulity with a true JDM spec muffler, and it can be had for much less then the Vishnu with the Magnaflo.

Ok so it looks like you know WRX products. Good!! Scooby sport sells a 2.5in exhaust tip to tail. We had two cars both with cat less exhausts but one was 2.5 and the other 3in. 2.5 made 223hp 3in made 231hp and I don't know the tqs but on the dyno graphs the 3in spooled quicker, Had more power quiker and TQ. These are both stock turbos. 13g on wrx TD04. Why does HKS do only a 2.5?? I don't know maybe to sell you a 3in with there kit when the owner upgrades.

Ya HKS Carbon is nice (Sounds like ****)

I agree but I'm getting old and really don't want to get pulled over because of a exhaust or drive home after a long day at work and get a head ache because of the Droning. HKS is great for show cars but for my daily driver I need somthing a little more on the quite side.

Plus I like to go to the track the HKS sits low and is tough to keep it looking nice for years.

And I really like the Magnaflo Sound. and the mufflers are a good quility.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea but I don't think this is common and most evo owners won't go here ... in fact, those that are that serious would consider upgrading the entire turbo as well. My point was that we will not realize the full potential of a true 3" exhaust with minor mods (under 320 whp).

Eric ... you mentioned that you think HKS designed the evo dp 2.5" to cut costs and fit it under the stock tie bars. Were u aware that the evo downpipe in their 3037 Turbo kit is a larger, 3"? However, they do not sell it seperately. I asked tech support about this nomorous times while attempting to pry different answers & every time ..... they claimed that the 2.5" dp tested to make more power than the 3" until approx. 350whp is attained, and then 2.5" became a restriction. So if costs were the reason for a smaller dp, then why are they making 2 seperate diameter downpipes, and not just making 1, 3" dp for all applications? I do, however, second your comment about the HKS, WRX downpipe compared to Shiv's ... it was very "unlike" the usual HKS QUALITY. And as far as Vishnu products .... they are very nice but I still can't understsnd how ANY stainless system can cost as much as a full titanium system (JIC Magic, etc). Also, an hks carbon ti system is just as nice qaulity with a true JDM spec muffler, and it can be had for much less then the Vishnu with the Magnaflo. You cannot accurately say that Vishnu qaulity is much higher than respected names such as HKS, GReddy, Thermal, and JIC.
Check your facts = I have a Gt 3037 S kit on my desy - the o2 housing / dom pipe with dump tube - is ONLY 2.6Inches - not 3"
Old Jun 27, 2003, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Ok so it looks like you know WRX products. Good!! Scooby sport sells a 2.5in exhaust tip to tail. We had two cars both with cat less exhausts but one was 2.5 and the other 3in. 2.5 made 223hp 3in made 231hp and I don't know the tqs but on the dyno graphs the 3in spooled quicker, Had more power quiker and TQ. These are both stock turbos. 13g on wrx TD04.[/B]
Interesting .... but this test doesn't tell us much because there are always other variables involved. For instance, the test should have been performed on the SAME WRX as each car is different -- heck, it's difficult to get the same car to dyno the same exact thing twice Also, not sure about the specs of a stock WRX turbo .... what size, etc???

[i]Why does HKS do only a 2.5?? I don't know maybe to sell you a 3in with there kit when the owner upgrades[/B]
If all of the HKS only made 1 size downpipe, then they wouldn't have to include one in their turbo kit because most of us would already have one ... c'mom now, do you REALLY think that HKS would promote a smaller, less power-making downpipe?

[i]Ya HKS Carbon is nice (Sounds like ****)

I agree but I'm getting old and really don't want to get pulled over because of a exhaust or drive home after a long day at work and get a head ache because of the Droning. HKS is great for show cars but for my daily driver I need somthing a little more on the quite side.

Plus I like to go to the track the HKS sits low and is tough to keep it looking nice for years.[/B]
Well I agree with this and that's why I chose to go with Thermal R&D .... great quality and just slightly louder than stock.

[i]And I really like the Magnaflo Sound. and the mufflers are a good quility. [/B]
I agree that Magnaflo is nice stuff, although I've yet to hear it on an evo. Shiv's exhaust system is nicely constructed and polished up to look great but at that price, it has to be able to outperform every other stainless system on the market, period. At some point, the system will get dirty because it's under the car, so a clean & pretty system is not worth a ton of extra $ to me, sorry. Compare Vishnu's catback to my Thermal, and I'm willing to bet that the qaulity/workmanship/performance/sound is VERY similar, besides the fact that the Thermal can be had for much less and I have access to the actual performance gains over stock. I've yet to see this with a Magnaflo can set-up, with the exception of 1/4 miles times published by Darryl @ Ultimate Racing. Let me just say that I, and I'm sure I can speak for a few other, would be VERY interested in the Vishnu product line if some of prices were given a second look. There is "you get what you pay for" ... and that there is "you paid more for what you got." Just MO.

Last edited by evo1; Jun 27, 2003 at 11:03 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Check your facts = I have a Gt 3037 S kit on my desy - the o2 housing / dom pipe with dump tube - is ONLY 2.6Inches - not 3"
My bad .... thought they used a bigger (3")dp on their 550hp HKS evo ... apparantly not Did you call them to hear the logic behind this Al? Very-very interesting.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Throw it in Big Guy
Old Jun 27, 2003, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Throw it in Big Guy
Well I was told different By HKS technical support ..... but who cares about that. Doesn't this make u wonder Eric? HKS evo is not exactly a slouch ... what Al is tellin ya Eric is that this evo is making serious power, possibly with a 2.6" downpipe. Check it out ...

http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea.../130_0302_EVO/