Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

RMR or WORKS reflash?? Anyone install yet?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2003, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by evo1

Well I was told different By HKS technical support ..... but who cares about that. Doesn't this make u wonder Eric? HKS evo is not exactly a slouch ... what Al is tellin ya Eric is that this evo is making serious power, possibly with a 2.6" downpipe. Check it out ...

http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea.../130_0302_EVO/
I talked to HKS technical support and I'm not impressed to say the least.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Eric Lyublinsky

Okay ... understandable ... so what did they tell u? Let me guess ... 2.5" makes more power due to decreased backpressure/torque loss associated with a larger diam. downpipe + stock turbo combo. Lets hear what you are not impressed, or don't agree with .... otherswise your comments/posts are worthless to be people trying to learn.

Last edited by evo1; Jun 27, 2003 at 12:50 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 01:05 PM

Getting back to the threadstarter's question, a couple of people (including me) have posted impressions of the WORKS reflash here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=28060
Old Jun 27, 2003, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by evo1

Okay ... understandable ... so what did they tell u? Let me guess ... 2.5" makes more power due to decreased backpressure/torque loss associated with a larger diam. downpipe + stock turbo combo. Lets hear what you are not impressed, or don't agree with .... otherswise your comments/posts are worthless to be people trying to learn.
I have only talked to them in the past for other things. Not EVO related but they could not answer my quetions. (WRX HKS TURBO KIT). Did not like that.

Bottom line you do not need back presure on a turbo car. The Turbo it self is creates back presure.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 06:46 PM
Account Disabled

No exhaust =- best exhaust for a turbo, but it will move your Peak HP and Peak Torque further up the powerband, but well worth it, topend is the best. I plan on a dump right off the 02 housing with an electronic cutout. Keep the stock exhaust but run fast when needed.
Old Jun 28, 2003, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Weekend Bump
Old Jun 28, 2003, 03:42 PM
Account Disabled

I still feel the SAFC II is the best option, plus it shows timing. You can set your timing based on your new fuel curve with a SAFC ITC and they are not that expensive so....
Old Jun 28, 2003, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Eric Lyublinsky

Last week when I contacted HKS USA for some technical help - - They are arrogent - cocky and RUDE - -

After dumping a load of cash on a turbo kit - I expect the us rep to bend over backwards to help me to get it installed properly - HKS's response to me was to tell me to call my dealer and hang up on me

HKS is great products - but they really have bad additudes
Old Jun 28, 2003, 08:23 PM

Well... Great products or not... I think I may have tried to return or sell the kit after that treatment... Acting arrogant because they are "HKS" is not acceptable if that was in fact the case... Sounds like its time to have a chat with someone higher on the HKS USA food chain to explain how HKS may want to treat paying customers... Paying customers that have influence on forums like this... Al, how much have you spent on HKS parts including your cams?
Old Jun 29, 2003, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by cdavy
Well... Great products or not... I think I may have tried to return or sell the kit after that treatment... Acting arrogant because they are "HKS" is not acceptable if that was in fact the case... Sounds like its time to have a chat with someone higher on the HKS USA food chain to explain how HKS may want to treat paying customers... Paying customers that have influence on forums like this... Al, how much have you spent on HKS parts including your cams?
prob about $7,000 on this car

Thier response to me was - "We never put that kit on an evo viii yet so we don't know how it will fit or if it will work."

When i asked them for a flange it was missing - thats when they ditrected me to my dealer

I told them - how the _ _ _ _ is my dealer supposed to know anything about this kit when you guys can't even answer my question and you made the kit

Thats when they hung up on me - - of course after counting down from 5 - - "5, 4 , 3, 2, 1, - hang up"

I called them back - told them they suck and that I would NEVER mention or help promote their products again

Later - I guess after they found out who I was - (as far as my internet presence) - they got a ahold of my vender - who wrongfully gave them my cell phone number - - HKS called me to give me the part number for the flange I needed - - BUT still no offer to send me one or sell it to me directly - still the same call your dealer crap

If i just spent $5,000 on a turbo kit and its missing a flange to make it work - dont you think a decent company would just send you the small cheap part ??? Especially when you were the first one instalkling the kit in a US spec vehicle ?????

PS- the kit does NOT work on our US spec evo viii - - the kit goes where our A/c set up is - I either have to modify the kit - delete my a/c or just sell the kit for an evo vii guy - also the turbo support bracket does not fit

Its bad enough paying top dollar for somethimng that is UNtested - comes with confusuing - misleading directions in japanesse - - but to have to deal with the rude / arrogant punks at HKS USA - man its all a bit much

I was going to but the HKS clutch - but after that fiasco - i got the cusco
Old Jun 29, 2003, 06:11 AM

Al,

Can't you get a refund from the HKS dealer? I assume it was sold as an EVO8 turbo upgrade... Seems like you cold get your $$$$back since it does not work properly on the car... Would you have purchased that expensive kit knowing upfront that it was not a direct fit?
Old Jun 29, 2003, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Let’s all boycott HKS! I dislike when companies act like that.
Old Jun 29, 2003, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Obviously they dont care about working hard to expand thier business - it took them two years to test and release their WRX turbo kit - I first asked about it in March of 2001 and they told me it wouled be out inj 2 months - - every few months I checked back and was always told the same thing - so I then had to make my own set up - - finally after two years they finally dained to release the kit - by that time I had sold my evo and gotten a WRX

Stuck up - up tight lame holeir than thou companies like HKS really make you appreciate the other companies like Pruven or Turboxs, etc who bend over backwards to make thier customers happy and who would do just about anything within reason to help a customer

I wish i could say the HKS product sucks - but it dont - its great 1st rate stuff - BUT the people they have staffing the phones at HKS USA suck the biggest one possible

From now on I deal with bozz speed and cusco whereever possible for my JDM needs
Old Jun 29, 2003, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

I am sure most of us can do without HKS...there is still greddy, apex-i, and blitz (and a bunch of other up-and-coming, small, "made in america" companies). They all make quality stuff! Competition is good!
Old Jun 29, 2003, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

This type of thing unfortunately goes beyond HKS ... seems like the majority of big jdm companies offer lame U.S. customer service .... HOWEVER, I have to say that I have contaced HKS recently on numorous occasions to inquire about a few of its products, and for the most part ... they are reasonably informed, supportive, and always easy to get hold of (always I live rep available).

But there is one c.s. rep in particular that is cocky as hell, has a ****-poor attitude, and just acts like every question has an obvious answer (eh, like the guy asking the questions is a frickin moron) He sounds a bit like a burned out surfer dude ..... smacks his gum on the phone and always comes back with cocky-*** answers ......... I can remember this guy answering my calls ..... say maybe 2 out of the last 6-7 times maybe. Both times he tried to get snappy

sound like this AL