Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

RMR or WORKS reflash?? Anyone install yet?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2003, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by modvp
I am sure most of us can do without HKS...there is still greddy, apex-i, and blitz (and a bunch of other up-and-coming, small, "made in america" companies). They all make quality stuff! Competition is good!
This type of thing unfortunately goes beyond HKS ... seems like the majority of big jdm companies offer lame U.S. customer service .... HOWEVER, I have to say that I have contaced HKS recently on numorous occasions to inquire about a few of its products, and for the most part ... they are reasonably informed, supportive, and always easy to get hold of (always a live rep available).

But there is one c.s. rep in particular that is cocky as hell, has a ****-poor attitude, and just acts like every question has an obvious answer (eh, like the guy asking the questions is a frickin moron) He sounds a bit like a burned out surfer dude ..... smacks his gum on the phone and always comes back with cocky-*** answers ......... I can remember this guy answering my calls ..... say maybe 2 out of the last 6-7 times maybe. Both times he tried to get snappy

sound like this AL
Old Jun 29, 2003, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by evo1
This type of thing unfortunately goes beyond HKS ... seems like
But there is one c.s. rep in particular that is cocky as hell, has a ****-poor attitude, and just acts like every question has an obvious answer (eh, like the guy asking the questions is a frickin moron) He sounds a bit like a burned out surfer dude ..... smacks his gum on the phone and always comes back with cocky-*** answers ......... I can remember this guy answering my calls ..... say maybe 2 out of the last 6-7 times maybe. Both times he tried to get snappy

sound like this AL
Thats the guy - the cocky surfer dude - he is a real winner
Old Jun 29, 2003, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
Thats the guy - the cocky surfer dude - he is a real winner
OK then................. AL my advice is to call back tomorrow (Monday) and see if someone else is avail. to help (assuming u still need it). That particular guy is an *** but there a couple others that are more informed & somewhat helpful.
Old Jun 29, 2003, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

OK then................. AL my advice is to call back tomorrow (Monday) and see if someone else is avail. to help (assuming u still need it). That particular guy is an *** but there a couple others that are more informed & somewhat helpful.
Good idea - but I am sick of HKS - I can't stand negative peopel with toxic additudes - I am very happy there are so many great happy people who love cars as much as I do who are vendors and who are very pleased to offer assitance with their products - - I've had many great experiences - - - I rather just take my ILL fitting - OVERPRICED turbo kit over to pruven performance and they can cut the flanges I need out of sheets of stainless and fab up a new set of pipes - calling those HKS guys is just another opportuinity to hqave my day runined by a bunch of idiots who think they are kings of performance and everyone else is beneath them
Old Jun 29, 2003, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Al, did you buy the kit directly from HKS, or from a distributor/vendor?

My question would be whether or not HKS was ever involved in promoting the sale of the turbo kit for use on the EVO VIII to you or anyone else for that matter? If they have, then they should be bending over backwards to meet your needs and make it right.

Unfortunately vendors/tuners have a way of blurring the lines on what will and won't work, and the similarities between the VII and VIII would make it seem like an easy cross-over.

If I were HKS(or any manufacturer for that matter) and a vendor was pushing parts that weren't fully engineered or released for a specific car yet, and lets say that selling these parts was in turn beginning to cause a lot of headaches with customers, then I would be pretty unhappy with the vendors.

I can also imagine them thinking "yeah, well the kits not even engineered for your car, so let your vendor who started this mess help fix things for you!" Ultimately though you are using their parts so they should be civil to you as long as you are civil with them. If they treated you wrong you should escalate it within their management chain.

BTW- Having been involved with customer support for years, I can tell you that if a customer starts using four letter words on the phone, the typical response is to give them a warning and then hang-up, or just simply hang-up....like it or not its typically just the way it is.

Every one of us want's these kinds of parts to be available and ready to go yesterday, and are therefore already predisposed to taking chances on the rough edge. Like it or not Al, you are typically one of those people that push those limits, and if theres a weak link in the chain somewhere you will probably be one of the first to find it!

This post isn't meant as a slam against you Al, but just a counterpoint to why companies like HKS do the things they do sometimes. Hopefully HKS and your vendor can get things worked out and perhaps use your car as a test-bed for fitment development! I am sure most of us are waiting to see how well the first US EVO VIII will run with a big HKS turbo kit!

Good luck!

Jeff
Old Jun 29, 2003, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

I remember when I called them for help with my boost controller - I had smililar issues with this same exact guy.

I appreciate your thoughts - they are rational and wise advice.

However, I am sick of HKS and thier rude approach.

The bottom line is I really dont need them for anything. I just ahve to have the pipes re-made and configured to fit in out engine compartment better and also have a real and strong turbo support braket made. The flimsy little braket they provide would be good to hold up a boost controller or a small box - - not a 30 lbs plus manifold, wastegate, turbo and pipe combo.

Thank god there are many other turbo kits that will be comming out in future months so there will be more options available for those who seek something which is a complete bolt on soultion and something that is more fairly priced

The bottom line about HKS is that I do not mind paying top dollar for something that is first rate - BUT when you pay top dollar you exepct a certain level of service that is clearly lacking with those guys
Old Jun 29, 2003, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

BTW - N10S - - I see you list a 65 Corvair convert - - I had a '66 with a 140 - - which engine do you have ???

My corvair was a great car and very fast after I tuned it - - I just had to learn never ever take really fast corners and lift the gas
Old Jun 29, 2003, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Al, this corvair is tagged with Corsa badges which appear to be stock, and the dash is the correct Corsa configuration. The engine however, is a 110 though, and I think it should be a 140?

Anyway I have been thinking about pulling it and doing a comp build on it of some sort. You are right about the cornering;-) It actually does pretty well for almost 30 years old though.

If you have any thoughts on the route I should take with the engine (pistons, head work, carbs, etc,...) let me know! email me at jredding@usmo.com any info would be appreciated!

Hey I do agree with your take no prisoners approach to getting the turbo installed in your car. One way or another you will get it done and it would be to HKS advantage to be supportive!

Jeff
Old Jun 30, 2003, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
I remember when I called them for help with my boost controller - I had smililar issues with this same exact guy.

I appreciate your thoughts - they are rational and wise advice.

However, I am sick of HKS and thier rude approach.

The bottom line is I really dont need them for anything. I just ahve to have the pipes re-made and configured to fit in out engine compartment better and also have a real and strong turbo support braket made. The flimsy little braket they provide would be good to hold up a boost controller or a small box - - not a 30 lbs plus manifold, wastegate, turbo and pipe combo.

Thank god there are many other turbo kits that will be comming out in future months so there will be more options available for those who seek something which is a complete bolt on soultion and something that is more fairly priced

The bottom line about HKS is that I do not mind paying top dollar for something that is first rate - BUT when you pay top dollar you exepct a certain level of service that is clearly lacking with those guys

Sorry to hear that Al. It really sucks. I will never buy a HKS product gain. I was using the Carbon TI cat back with a helix downpipe in my REX. The flex joint was hitting my drive shaft and was wareing out. I took pics and set it to them asking for a new mid pipe and they refused to help me out. I love the HKS name but I just don't trust them any more. The WRX hks kit is ill designed with out EM upgrade or fuel system that kit is a very shaddy set up to say the least. They don't offer there fully tunable F-con to us poor, stupid fools in the US. I have had a lot of good things to say about Blitz thow. They have always answered my ??? and gave me advice. Not all JDM companies are the same. I sure the great folks at pruven will be able to help you out big time with your piping issues. I did have a chance to see your old turbo set up on a Black WRX. Very nice.

Eric
Old Jun 30, 2003, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Yes the turbo kit from my WRX just blows away the HKS in every respect - the stainless is thicker and better - the flanges are heavier - the fittings more professional and the attachements are all V-bands - - anyway we will be in business soon with the evo

As for the corvair - now that I am into turbo cars - I sure would like to re-visit the old corvaor 180 hp turbo motor - - Imagine what kind of gains that sucker could make with a nice ball bearing turbo set up and a wrx top mount intercooler

Maybe if I find one in decent shape I will amke a project of it

As for engines - it takes like less that an hour to yank the whole drivetrain out of a corvair so very often they got swapped out when anything went wrong - - you prob have another engine cuase you should have at least had the 140 in there
Old Jun 30, 2003, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

Just got mine Saturday and I must say it has more snap the rev limit is higher but I have yet to land it right taking 2nd gear up to 8K and going into 3rd a little gear grind maybe not meant to be, the boost maybe seems to hold out at 20 a little longer but rolls back to 16-17 after. Overall impression very nice you will notice something different it pulls harder I will be hitting the dyno and posting the before and afters then we will be talking. Oh yea its the 93 octane flash.
Old Jun 30, 2003, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by BLKEVO8
boost maybe seems to hold out at 20 a little longer but rolls back to 16-17 after.
Boost controller will fix
Old Jul 1, 2003, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Boost controller will fix
Hey EVO 1

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=3

chech out this link with AMS's 3in o2 housing. I know this would happen. Just a matter of time. Most shop to take full advantage of the 16g will want to at the very least run a 3in turbo to tip exhaust systems. why because it makes the power!!

360 at the wheels with a stock turbo not bad.

Eric
Old Jul 1, 2003, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Eric Lyublinsky [/i]
[B]

Hey EVO 1

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=3

chech out this link with AMS's 3in o2 housing. I know this would happen. Just a matter of time. Most shop to take full advantage of the 16g will want to at the very least run a 3in turbo to tip exhaust systems. why because it makes the power!!

360 at the wheels with a stock turbo not bad.

Eric
I agree that 3" dp + 3" o2 housing is great for that type of power (360whp also includes new cams, ic upgrades, boost controller, and a/f leaned out substantially). But .... for those who choose stay around 300-320 or so at the wheels, and do not plan to upgrade stock o2 housing, 2.5" is fine and it won't sacrifice low end torque for a tic more on the top end like the bigger 3" dp has been known to do in lower power applications. AMS seems to know their sh*t and I respect that -- that 12 tic evo will be running high 10's soon I'm sure ... but I don't have any interest of making a 10 second car out of my daily driver .... IMO to preserve engine longevity, one is better of not running these craz-e hp/tq numbers ....... just my opinion though.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

What I really trying to state is if you were to upgrade you exhaust system there is now loss by going to 3in. So if you ware inching for more power replacing the elbo is a option for you. I think the EVO even with the stock cams and proper EM on street gas is able to get to that magic 350hp mark on the stock fuel system and turbo. As far as IC I'm not sure it will make much more then 290 to 300 whp on a dyno jet. The stock turbo just blows to much hot air at thoes power levels. HKS's 2.5 is just not ideal.

Eric