Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HKS 264 cams - before and after dyno sheets and impression

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2003, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can adjust idle with the base idle set screw. But that is really only used to set the bypass orifice so that the idle air controller is in the middle of its throw. The ECU controls the idle ultimately. So if you adjust the BISS to 950RPMs, the ECU will just turn the idle back down. You can do this repeatedly until the ECU has run out of ISC (Idle speed controller) adjustment, though. I wouldn't recommend it, since the idle would be pretty erratic.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Shahul X
you cannot raise the idle? but it seems there is no issue with the 272 cams idle... but the 264's do ALFRIEDESQ??? the 272's produce how much more power...and larger injectors will be needed, like what size? and do you need an in-tank feul pump?

oh, lastly, how much would all this kill the MPG?

-shahul
As I was told my HKS usa and HKS jdm - - IF bigger was always better - they would make 360 degree cams only

The issue is what is your application and what will run best on your car

I rather run the 264's now - - then upgrade to the 272 when and if they are needed - with a quality product like HKS I can always sell them used and recover much of my initial outlay
Old Jun 23, 2003, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that makes sense.... why is the 264 better for your applications?

-shahul
Old Jun 23, 2003, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ShapeGSX
You can adjust idle with the base idle set screw. But that is really only used to set the bypass orifice so that the idle air controller is in the middle of its throw. The ECU controls the idle ultimately. So if you adjust the BISS to 950RPMs, the ECU will just turn the idle back down. You can do this repeatedly until the ECU has run out of ISC (Idle speed controller) adjustment, though. I wouldn't recommend it, since the idle would be pretty erratic.
Thank you

-shahul
Old Jun 23, 2003, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Why install cams without adj pulleys ??
Old Jun 23, 2003, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by value
Why install cams without adj pulleys ??
Because you don't need them. They are also a liability. If the bolts loosen on the cam gears, you are looking at bent valves.

The only reason to get them, IMO , is if your cam gear height above the crank has changed due to a block or head resurface.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ShapeGSX

Because you don't need them. They are also a liability. If the bolts loosen on the cam gears, you are looking at bent valves.

The only reason to get them, IMO , is if your cam gear height above the crank has changed due to a block or head resurface.
Also - shiv reported it will throw off the factory ecu by a variance between the can and crank angels
Old Jun 23, 2003, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

I believe that the ECU checks for misfires by checking the crank angle signal delay from power stroke to power stroke. If there is a large variance between one power stroke to the next, there is a misfire. I don't believe that the cam angle sensor is involved at all. There isn't as much resolution at the cam angle sensor as there is at the crank. He may have been getting real misfires.

If you change the distance between the cams and the crank, the cams will be mis-timed with respect to the crank, and using a degree wheel and adjustable cam gears is the only way to get it back to stock.

To get around SHiv's problem, if there really is one, just slot the holes on the cam angle sensor and rotate it until the crank and cam activity is aligned.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

hmmm... this will be my Fall project.... im still getting confused here... okay 264 or 272 cams... or in conjunction... but will need

1. larger injectors...what size?
and 2. in tank feul pump?

-shahul
Old Jun 23, 2003, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

If you don't use adj. pulleys you won't be able to fine tune cam timing and miss out in alot of horsepower.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Quantify the amount of power that will be lost because of not using adjustable cam gears.

I'm guessing that a lot of what is seen from using adjustable cam gears might actually come from the adjustment of the cam angle sensor that comes with the cam gear adjustment.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Read article in vol 10 EVO mag. They started at 382.5 ps 49.2 KG at 0 deg and made 5 different changes to intake and exhaust cam timing and got the final best combo to put out 411.5 ps 51.1 kg . Final timing was intake 110 exhaust 105 degrees. Cams were from Tomei.

Last edited by value; Jun 23, 2003 at 06:18 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Cam sprockets alone aren't primarily used to gain power. It's used to shift the powerband or help regain timing from wild cams. Any addition HP from it by shifting the band is icing, which is gained from tuning.

Last edited by n00dle; Jun 23, 2003 at 06:15 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by n00dle
Cam sprockets alone aren't primarily used to gain power. It's used to shift the powerband or help regain timing from wild cams. Any addition HP from it by shifting the band is icing, which is gained from tuning.
The improvements we've recorded from cam timing changes have been across the board. That is, no part of the powerband has been sacrificed for another.

Shiv
Old Jun 23, 2003, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

That is good news, but there are instances when shifting the band is the purpose of the sprockets. Are you adjusting both intake and exhaust or just intake?

Quick Reply: HKS 264 cams - before and after dyno sheets and impression