Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Question about alky over cams

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2007 | 12:38 AM

Question about alky over cams

I am looking to get an alky kit with my up and coming tune. I know most are going to say get cams first but I want to hold off. I believe I will make more power with the alky for the time being and don't feel like messing with the driveability of the car yet. I have tbe, mbc, intake and walbro fp. Would anything else really be necessaary with this setup to run alky, like a new intercooler perhaps? Sorry I'm not very educated in this department and thanks for any help.
Old Jun 2, 2007 | 01:37 AM
Evolved Member

Not meaning to be nosey, but do you really drive an Evo IV, or is that just a typo?
Old Jun 2, 2007 | 01:48 AM
Evolved Member

If I had a IX, and it looks like I never will, I would probably do what you are contemplating. I would install an Alky Kit and a coated Ebay-type O2 housing at the same time, and leave the cams and IC for later on.
Old Jun 2, 2007 | 01:58 AM

Ha, no it's a IX I just typoed that and am too lazy to change it. I just don't feel like paying the money for the cams and install when I know I'm going to see better gains from alky. I know it's a main power adder for evo's but I'm just not interested in cams at the moment. I wan't one more good power adder before I take a break from spending all this money. I want to do the alky but if not I'll probably just get like a licp and exhuast manifold or something, I dunno..
Old Jun 2, 2007 | 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Barrett006@aol.
I am looking to get an alky kit with my up and coming tune. I know most are going to say get cams first but I want to hold off. I believe I will make more power with the alky for the time being and don't feel like messing with the driveability of the car yet. I have tbe, mbc, intake and walbro fp. Would anything else really be necessaary with this setup to run alky, like a new intercooler perhaps? Sorry I'm not very educated in this department and thanks for any help.
get a failsafe capable of sensing a reduced flow of alky( issue with pump, clogged nozzle, leak in system)
Old Jun 2, 2007 | 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

on a IX alky first makes more sense because you don't see huge gains with cams like an viii does.

probably going this route myself
Old Jun 2, 2007 | 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

Get both. Most people who add power always want more, or at least the most with in reason. If you wait till later to add cams you will have to pay for the tune twice, which is more then half of the cost of cams. Also if getting alky, you should consider head studs for high boost. A convieneint time to install the cams is with the studs.
Old Jun 2, 2007 | 11:52 AM

That was my thought adamhw, I just won't have nearly enough to do both. Part of me likes the reliability of going with the cams but I'm just craving the power of the alky. I'm thinking of the snow performance stage 2 kit with their safe injection, possibly a new dv depending on how much boost I will be running and maybe a licp. My main question is do you need any other supporting mods to reap benefits of alky. Like I said I have: tbe, intake and mbc..
Old Jun 2, 2007 | 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

umm more than likely your going to need a new dv valve, and definitely need a licp... maybe a bigger fmic.. but ur mods so far are looking good.. also get a wideband for monitoring
Old Jun 2, 2007 | 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

the snow safe inject is a very poor failsafe, if any at all. It will not detect in situations when you are tuned for a large meth nozzle and there is a reduction of flow but above the detection of the low flow trigger point.
Old Jun 2, 2007 | 01:18 PM

does the DDS3 failsafe only work with aquamist. Sorry if thats a noobish question, not sure if failsafes are interchangable.
Old Jun 2, 2007 | 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

i would do the ttp engineering kit plus zeitronix for a good failsafe
Old Jun 3, 2007 | 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Barrett006@aol.
does the DDS3 failsafe only work with aquamist. Sorry if thats a noobish question, not sure if failsafes are interchangable.
the dds3 is a standalone failsafe system. You can use it with any injection kit