Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

over heating. HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2007, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
over heating. HELP!!!

MY evo 9 just started to over heat out of the blue, and i mean over heat it reaches the H in a matter of seconds. My car is stock besides an AC Autotecnic boost gauge. oh and i also have coolant in radiator. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Check thermostat
Old Jun 2, 2007, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1st check to see if there is coolant/oil,

2nd check the color of the coolant/oil if its coffee and really thin it could be a head gasket.

3rd have you drained the coolent recently? if so you might have air in the system, that needs to be burped? out. you run the car for 1 min with the cap off to burp. check for leaks on any hose including turbo lines

4th check sensor on location make sure its not grounding or is broken. I dont know on this ive never takin one out but maybe your thermostat is closed shut.../ sometimes they stick open dont know on the evo...

Good luck!!!
Old Jun 2, 2007, 02:06 PM

Grab your lower radiator hose when your car is warmed-up and if it is not as hot as your upper hose, then your thermostat is stuck closed. Also, check your water pump to make sure there is proper circulation, most of the time a bad water pump will make noise all the time (you should be able to feel the flow with your hand on the upper hose). Also, when it is warmed-up, turn it off and using a rag SLOWLY remove the radiator cap. If you can hear bubbling into the overflow tank, then you most likly have a blown headgasket and contrary to popular belief a blown headgasket will not always puff white smoke from the exhaust. And look at your overflow tank (if you haven't already) to make sure there is coolant inside filled to the max level. If it is low or empty you can have a coolant leak, but the system will appear full because it is sucking from the overflow to compensate. Good luck and keep us updated.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by esevo
1st check to see if there is coolant/oil,

2nd check the color of the coolant/oil if its coffee and really thin it could be a head gasket.

3rd have you drained the coolent recently? if so you might have air in the system, that needs to be burped? out. you run the car for 1 min with the cap off to burp. check for leaks on any hose including turbo lines

4th check sensor on location make sure its not grounding or is broken. I dont know on this ive never takin one out but maybe your thermostat is closed shut.../ sometimes they stick open dont know on the evo...

Good luck!!!
If you have recently drained your coolant the most likley place for a bubble to be stuck is in the heater core. Easy to check just turn the heat on inside and make sure it blows hot. Then give very slight throttle and listen for a "trickling water" sound from the dash area. If you hear this then you definitly have air in the system.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
precisely!
Old Jun 2, 2007, 02:20 PM

thanks for the quick replies im going to check my thermo when i get off of work. for now im going to be in a crappy mood at work. thanks again
Old Jun 2, 2007, 02:35 PM

stupid question, but i called napa and they told me that the thermo for the regular lancer was the same for the Evo..... is that true or is that guy an idiot
Old Jun 2, 2007, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/p...roducts_id/648 try this or http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p..._Cooling_Parts good luck

Last edited by chrismnj; Jun 2, 2007 at 02:54 PM.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

is that covered by the warranty?
Old Jun 2, 2007, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo_tiago
is that covered by the warranty?
it should be
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:40 PM

well i called Mitsubishi and set up an appointment for them to check if its covered by warranty. I'm going to flush the coolant right now and keep you guys updated.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 09:10 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
umm this is a dumb question but he did not say what temp he is getting, 180 200 would be normal. Wouldn't he get a code if its to high 230 or whatever
Old Jun 5, 2007, 04:18 AM
Evolving Member

He said that it is hitting the H. We do not have stock temp gauges that provide any numerical value.

I had a similar issue when I was basically stock. What had happended was the coolant temp sensor was bad. In my instance it would only show faulty readings when the car was put under a decent amount of load (hence I had to take it to several mitsubishi shops before one would let me repeat the problem with the tech in the car). Surprisingly the evo has two coolant temp sensors, one for the gauge on the dash and one for the computer. When reading the temp off the ECU the scan tool showed the proper operating temp when the gauge on the dash was spiking.

Hope this helps. Just throwing out another possiblity.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 10:19 AM

i have noticed when i have the car on and its overheating the fan still doesnt kick in. when i turn on the heater the fan still doesn't kick in.when i turned on the A/C the fan finally kicked in... I checked the fuses in the engine bay, they seem good to me, and i couldn't find one under the dash. Still any help is appreciated thanks. I have a feeling it has to do with my fan, relay switch,fuses, ect.
ps: i also did a coolant flush to see if there were any air pockets and it still was over heating.

Quick Reply: over heating. HELP!!!