Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need Help – tcase or tranny issue?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2007, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help – tcase or tranny issue?

My 2003 Evo8 (35K) has a whine coming from somewhere (very to say if it’s the rear or front) – sounds very much like a wheel bearing “humming” sound. Did some circle tests and noise seems to still be there – so I’ve ruled out a wheel bearing issue. The “humming” sound seems directly linear with wheel speed, the faster you go the more noticeable the sound is. Even with the car in neutral and coasting the sound can be clearly heard. It also appeared as if the noise got a little louder if I drove it hard through the gears.

Had the car up on the rack this weekend, changed the oil on the transmission, t-case, and rear diff. All three oil nuts had minimal shavings on them, the rear one had more than the other two. I did drive the car while it was up (wheels off the ground), and heard absolutely NO noise. Dropped the car, took it for a drive and the noise is back. I also check for any noticeable oil leaks on the t-case – found none. Also checked the play on the prop-shaft – it had play, but I’m not sure what to look for.

I also have a noticeable clanking noise (like something is drastically loose somewhere in the driveline) when I let of the power. I can only think that maybe it’s the gear set in the t-case that’s got some excessive play (?).

Furthermore, it seems like the tranny is rather rowdy when the car is at idle (like a very bad throw out bearing noise) – I’ve not really confirmed if the chatter is coming from the tranny or the t-case – will do that today.

Just need to know if this a t-case issue, or a transmission issue (car has a brand new throw out bearing and twin disc Exedy installed about two months back). And if it is a t-case issue, how safe is it to drive the car – what would be a sure sign to stop driving it. Any thought/advice from anyone will be appreciated.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Either way, its not going to be a good thing to drive it. When your hearing that noise its either a bearing or a gear thats not meshed well with its counterpart and the more you drive it the worse its going to get and the more shavings that are in the oil, the more its going through everything else. My advice would be to stop driving it, take both the trans and t-case out and have it checked out.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 03:15 PM

So I've read a lot of topics on the issue at hand, even heard some video clips of a t-case going bad. Seems like I may have the very early signs of a tcase going bad. I do have one question though, say it is indeed the tcase, would I still hear the whine/humming noise if the car was on a lift and being driven through the gears (no load)? Like I said above, with my car on jack stands, I could not hear any noie when I went through the gears.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 08:14 PM

Interesting turn of events

Interesting turn of events with my driveline issue/s. This weekend I drove the car out to see a good friend/mechanic of mine in the hopes that he would clear up the issue/s on the car. Just before getting to our meeting spot, I decided to get on just once, in first gear only. Turns out something in the driveline did not like - I immediately realized that it was difficult to engage any of the other gears. First gear would crunch when being engaged, reverse refused to engage altogether. Even with my friend fully adjusting the clutch, first gear barely went in (no reverse gear at all). Once moving I could shift the gears, but with noticable resistance. Even more interestingly, the rattle I became so used to when the car used to shut off now seemed to have disappeared. Now I fear that it's a input shaft main bearing that might have given way - or something majory wrong with the Exedy twin disc (now a little of two months old in the car). Tranny will come out hopefully sometime this week. If it is the clutch, then I'm done with the Exedy twin discs - this is the second Exedy twin that been in the car in the last year or so, the first one being a used one that I replaced the discs on (that one destroyed one of the discs due to a floater issue).